Forum Home » Phones & TV » Broadband & Internet Access

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep quiet about my 'free' broadband?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
19 replies 13.3K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
121 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I signed up for Vodafone fibre broadband and then changed my connection date. This seems to have confused its systems - the broadband works, but several months down the line I've realised I've not been charged.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Replies

• Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to work out how this related to Marriage, Relationships & Families, when there is a broadband forum.
  • Someone will discover the oversight sooner or later and you'll get charged for it. Best not let it build up, I say.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
    121 posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Newshound!
    MSE Staff
    My mistake @cjdavies - have moved the thread to the Broadband & Internet Access board.

Thanks for the heads up :beer:
  • edited 14 August 2018 at 7:48PM
    kazt2006kazt2006 Forumite
    54 posts
    edited 14 August 2018 at 7:48PM
    I would put the money away each month until they send you a bill. Then when they do, negotiate over the length of time you have to pay the arrears in since it is not your fault. When your minimum term is up, try switching to a better deal with another provider to see if that triggers something. I know with energy companies there is a limit to how far back they can go but do not think this applies to phone and broadband providers!

If you have set up a DD just double check at your bank that this is active - i.e. set up as a payee on internet banking to ensure that they could take the payment if they wanted.
  • ska_loverska_lover Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would keep the money aside, and if it isn't discovered I would not tell them

It's their mistake. I wouldn't own up..Id wait to see if they approached me
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • JuliusCaesarJuliusCaesar Forumite
    53 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    You have an obligation to pay for the service they are providing, but are under no obligation to notify them that they are not charging you. Put the money aside each month. When they finally catch up with you, submit a formal complaint about their billing system, and demand compensation in the form of a reduction.
  • LorianLorian Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's Vodafone, it won't work much longer anyway ;)
  • esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
    I signed up for Vodafone fibre broadband and then changed my connection date. This seems to have confused its systems - the broadband works, but several months down the line I've realised I've not been charged.

Okay. Was there supposed to be a question somewhere?
  • cooki2222cooki2222 Forumite
    516 posts
    esuhl wrote: »
    Okay. Was there supposed to be a question somewhere?

Pretty much in the title of the thread :D
  • I would be very carful. I'm an independent Mortgage Advisor and one of the biggest barriers I see are defaults from utility & communication providers. If there is one outstanding on your credit file you will be automatically declined by most (if not all) high street lenders. Most clients that find they have these have no idea they were there and when they find out why feel they have been unfairly applied. It's not worth the risk if you ask me.