Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    • 114Posts
    • 5Thanks
    GillyFlower
    0 WOW
    Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going.
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    0 WOW
    Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going. 5th Aug 18 at 11:04 AM
    Advice would be appreciated. My husband is going to Canada to see his brother for one month.His only skill with plastic is the odd occasion paying with his debit card or getting cash out of machine.

I have heard Martin talking about Halifax Clarity Card and then my husband wants to be old fashioned and get his money before he goes. (Went about 5 years ago and was cross he got charged for the service from the Post Office)

My concern is him carrying cash.

So we are are Travel Virgins - if he had a Halifax Card there is not problem paying balance immediately on statement. (Could statement come before he returns and can i manage it here at home?)

Thank you

P.S. I know we need to get our heads around this about charges. I see someone said, if I am right, going to a cash machine using Halifax abroad - no you don't get charged but the 'company' machine charged the person.

But ? Starling bank account didn't ??? Hence - do I need to make sure husband knows where he is sticking his card!!!
    Last edited by GillyFlower; 05-08-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Read about Starling bank account
Page 1
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 5th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    If it doesn't charge for Starling it won't charge for the Clarity. Vice versa is also true.

The cards make no charge, but quite often Canadian ATM's do. C$2 to C$5 is usual.

If he can find ATM that charge either nothing or C$2, a C$200 ATM withdrawal equates to just 1%. So still better value than trying to obtain cash here.
    In addition, the Clarity allows for withdrawals for up to C$840 each time, reducing the total fee to a little as 0.22% for cash withdrawals.
    He should try to use the card for payments when he can.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/atms-in-canada
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    Thank you - I have just printed out relevant pages - which will read in depth later. I see Transferwise could be used using his brothers bank account I guess. But looking in my crystal ball it could be complicated e.g. how much have I left, etc. My husband would feel he is asking his brother for money even if it is his.

Would it be best to go two ways e,g, Clarity plus a prepaid travel card that I think I see discussed?
    • prowla
    • By prowla 5th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 10,086 Posts
    • 8,305 Thanks
    prowla
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    I wouldn't take cash unless someone specifically told me I'd need it; the only "Western" country I've found it necessary is Holland.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 5th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 3,594 Posts
    • 6,151 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    Transfer the money over to the brother and get him to withdraw it when your husband needs it?
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    So basically getting Canadian Dollars here and taking them with you in 'today's world' is not cost effective/maybe not safe - is that right?
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    Did wonder about transfer to brother see above - what if his brother has cash problems in his bank? Not something you ask - trusting he hasn't might be fool hardy I don't know.

Then what happens if there is a balance left - how is it converted back? Is it a case of asking his brother to transfer back to our bank in UK?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Aug 18, 2:09 PM
    • 3,854 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:09 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:09 PM
    So basically getting Canadian Dollars here and taking them with you in 'today's world' is not cost effective/maybe not safe - is that right?
    Originally posted by GillyFlower
    That's right, including prepaid cards to load dollars.

You can use a card to pay for most things in Canada, the best and simplest option is a Starling Bank account and debit card if he uses a smartphone, or loot.io prepaid which can also be accessed online.

No need for all the complications of credit cards, involving his brother etc. I think the TransferWise blog link is about which ATMs charge, for reference.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    This is so helpful all your contributions -

1. So my husband is 75 years old and doesn't use a phone or computer. (Has mastered asking Google questions on Tablet that's all.)

Hence I think Starling is out isn't it?

2. Are we back to applying for something like the Halifax Clarity Card?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 5th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    This is so helpful all your contributions -

1. So my husband is 75 years old and doesn't use a phone or computer. (Has mastered asking Google questions on Tablet that's all.)

Hence I think Starling is out isn't it?

2. Are we back to applying for something like the Halifax Clarity Card?
    Halifax Clarity with a Virgin Money Essential Current Account as a back-up/alternative.

The Essential account debit card doesn't charge for usage abroad, but charges 1.50 for ATM withdrawals abroad.
    In the case of having only the Essentials debit card, I would take out a chunk of cash on arrival and keep that for cash only transactions. Using the card to pay for items whenever possible.
    You can easily transfer funds to the account whenever necessary.
    But always useful to have a credit card for deposits etc
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 5:00 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    1. Halifax Clarity - will statement be emailed? In other words if it is due whilst he is away can I see account and pay it online to save costs?

2. Talking about a Virgin Current Account - he does have a NatWest Current Account is it worth talking to them or are their fees too high?

Phew - like studying for an exam.

Thank you

P.S. Just saw article from this site they do mention Barclaycard Travel Card??
    Last edited by GillyFlower; 05-08-2018 at 5:21 PM.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Aug 18, 5:22 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Robin9
    I am sure that although he is staying with his brother your husband wants to pay his way or treat him.

Yes to Clarity and a second card - you can arrange for the monthly balance to be be paid in full.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 7:10 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    Did a quick application with Halifax Clarity Card - but - didn't complete putting in my husbands info to apply. (Wondered if it is better to do it by phone)

We are only on state pension - own our property, savings, etc. But obviously they go on yearly income. I said 1,000 and it said a higher amount think something like 1,250 and gave an interest rate.

So with age & state pension can it be a 'minus' when taking something like this Credit Card? (Although no dependants, etc)
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 5th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    1. Halifax Clarity - will statement be emailed? In other words if it is due whilst he is away can I see account and pay it online to save costs?

2. Talking about a Virgin Current Account - he does have a NatWest Current Account is it worth talking to them or are their fees too high?

Phew - like studying for an exam.

Thank you

P.S. Just saw article from this site they do mention Barclaycard Travel Card??
    He's is only away for a month, so it's not an issue. But you can access the Halifax account online to see what is being spent in order to cover any cash withdrawals immediately.

If I wanted to suggest NatWest I would have done so. How did Virgin morph into NatWest?? Forget about NatWest.

Barclaycard Travel Platinum is a good option for a credit card.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 7:35 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    He's is only away for a month, so it's not an issue. But you can access the Halifax account online to see what is being spent in order to cover any cash withdrawals immediately.

If I wanted to suggest NatWest I would have done so. How did Virgin morph into NatWest?? Forget about NatWest.

Barclaycard Travel Platinum is a good option for a credit card.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    I do apologize I didn't mean to morph Virgin - it just occurred to me to mention what he already had. Thank you for your helpful input to help set out our choices.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 5th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I do apologize I didn't mean to morph Virgin - it just occurred to me to mention what he already had. Thank you for your helpful input to help set out our choices.
    Not a problem. NatWest is just one of the worst options for travel.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 6th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    This morning I feel traveled out in my head!

1. So going to apply for Halifax Clarity Card today.
    2. Also Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card

Note: Hopefully both will be granted as issues when only State Pension income, although owner property and no debt. I think what they do is slap on higher interest if I have read that correct.

So questions -

1. Is it wise to try and get these two cards because of eventualities i.e. draw amount of cash out in one go when he gets there and use Halifax Clarity Card as main purchases (including cash) and Barclaycard as a 'back - up'.

Have I understood your advice correctly?

Note: All your help has been invaluable - he no longer talks about getting dollars here and carry that cash around.
    Last edited by GillyFlower; 06-08-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    This morning I feel traveled out in my head!

1. So going to apply for Halifax Clarity Card today.
    2. Also Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card

Note: Hopefully both will be granted as issues when only State Pension income, although owner property and no debt. I think what they do is slap on higher interest if I have read that correct.

So questions -

1. Is it wise to try and get these two cards because of eventualities i.e. draw amount of cash out in one go when he gets there and use Halifax Clarity Card as main purchases (including cash) and Barclaycard as a 'back - up'.

Have I understood your advice correctly?

Note: All your help has been invaluable - he no longer talks about getting dollars here and carry that cash around.
    If you are going to apply for two credit cards, as opposed to one debit card and one credit card, then I would use them the other way around. Use the Barclaycard for cash withdrawals and the Clarity for purchases.

The reason for doing it that way, is that the Barclaycard doesn't charge interest for cash withdrawals as long as you pay the full statement balance. The Halifax charges interest on cash withdrawals as soon as you make the withdrawal, but nothing on purchases as long as you pay the full statement balance.

So Travel Platinum for cash, Clarity for purchases. If one fails, can use the other as a back-up.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    If you fail with your applications, then default to Virgin Money Essential for cash and SAGA Platinum for purchases; https://www.saga.co.uk/money/credit-card
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 6th Aug 18, 3:11 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    1. OK - Halifax Clarity Credit Card has been successful with a 1500 credit limit and purchase rate of 25.95%:

2. So - got so far - but sorry think I was getting muddled up as to which card is best for him to draw out cash as soon as he get there - also thinking he must have another card in case there are issues with it i.e. not working for some reason.

3. I have looked at the SAGA link and looking at cash withdrawal does that seem quite a good option? If I understand it correctly you pay charge BUT not anymore as long as balance is paid in full on statement.

So grateful for all help - I will need the rest whilst he is away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,952Posts Today

9,450Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin