British Gas HomeCare want to cancel agreement after claim

Options
peterwey
peterwey Posts: 11 Forumite
We have subscribed to British Gas (BG) Insurance HomeCare for 10/15 years and possibly much longer.

BG engineer told us there was a fault in our thermal cylinder (pinhole in the heating coils) which was causing the expansion tank to warm up and overflow. This could only be rectified by installing a new cylinder.

BG salesman recommended that in the circumstances the best solution would be to remove the thermal store and existing boiler. Then replace with a new combi boiler which does not need a thermal cylinder at a cost of £4669.

Our original Torent thermal store cylinder had been fitted by BG in 2012 and serviced annually by BG. Difficulty or cost in providing individual spares has never been mentioned in the past and BG have been happy to take the monthly payments.

In response BG cited their terms and conditions on page 29 “relating to spare parts, highlighting the following: If we can’t get hold of the parts we need we may need to cancel your agreement (or part of it) unless you’re eligible for a replacement. I am sorry to confirm that you are not eligible for a replacement boiler. The part required which was confirmed by the engineer and service manager is connected to the thermal store and we could not arrange for a replacement. Therefore, your contract would have been cancelled, at this stage.”

We expect the agreement to be honored by BG and the full cost of the new central heating system to be reimbursed. Can BG really just cancel the insurance after a claim had been made?

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BG are notorious, apparently. The only reason we bought a new boiler from them was because ours had the decency to die during their sale period. If anything needs doing, I would much prefer to use our local guy whom we know and trust for anything not covered by the warranty.

I think this is one for either the CAB or a lawyer, unless Hengus or Cardew happen to know. They are my go-to guys for energy and boilers respectively though there are plenty of other very helpful people on here.

If you have legal cover with an insurance policy, that might be a place to begin looking. Failing that, many legal firms offer free half-hour consultations or, if you paid for the cover by credit card and it cost at least £100, your credit card company may be able to help.

Good luck and welcome.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    They are saying you are "not eligible" for a replacement under the policy.

Do the policy ts + cs spell out when you are not eligible for a replacement?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes most energy companies exited the market due to losing money. BG stayed by having !!!! terms.

BG's terms are next to useless. Best you can hope for is probably a refund of the last "years" payments.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Years ago BG were IMO excellent at providing a reliable repair service. However, as said above, BG are becoming notorious for 'wriggling' out of their responsibilities these days. It seems that selling a new CH system at vastly inflated prices is their priority.

Your tank is manufactured by Gledhill who produce high quality equipment and there is no way it should fail after 6 years. Also it is inconceivable that Gledhill do not produce spares or a compatible tank.

Frankly I see little option but take them to the Small Claims Court and/or get some adverse publicity for BG on 'Rogue Traders' or similar.

To start with I would write down full details of your tank and contact Gledhill and get their views. See:

https://www.gledhill.net/products/alternative-energy/torrent-stainless-ov/
  • peterwey
    Options
    Thank you

No they merely said:

"If we can’t get hold of the parts we need we may need to cancel your agreement (or part of it) unless you’re eligible for a replacement. I am sorry to confirm that you are not eligible for a replacement boiler"

BG said the only way they cd repair the faulty heating coil in the leaking cylinder would be by installing a new cylinder. BG however recommended that I paid them to remove the cylinder and replace it with a new combi boiler - which does not need a separate cylinder. The faulty cylinder and old working boiler was therefore replaced by a new combi boiler.

I cannot see any mention in t and c which wd explain why I am not eligible for reimbursement. I have paid for full central heating cover for last 10 plus years.
  • peterwey
    Options
    Manufacturer told me:

.. if a pinhole has appeared with one of the coils submerged inside the cylinder of an appliance, this is one of the few things that cannot be repaired. A replacement appliance will be required.

Thanks
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, Cardew, for coming to the rescue and for teaching me what little my brain can absorb.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask them for a new cylinder. The cylinder costs around £600+.

The total costs to you would be ~ £1500+VAT (labour & parts) but a lot less than a combi if you don't want one (which you should be able to get for half what you have been quoted!)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2018 at 11:19PM
    Options
    peterwey wrote: »
    I cannot see any mention in t and c which wd explain why I am not eligible for reimbursement. I have paid for full central heating cover for last 10 plus years.
    You originally posted you weren't eligible for "replacement boiler" (not to be reimbursed the cost of replacement)

They do say no eligibility for a replacement for appliances over 10 years old which yours appears to be.
  • peterwey
    Options
    Thank you

Cylinder was six years old and had originally been installed by BG and serviced annually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure