Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    • 6,882Posts
    • 40,381Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 9th July?
    • 9th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 9th July? 9th Jul 18 at 6:33 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 2
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 10th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,110 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and ideas for looking after myself.

Earlier I spent 20 minutes in my room reading my book. It was peaceful, cooler than elsewhere and only 1 interruption.

Today I have:
    Dusted the whole house
    Taken the children to 2 prepaid HE groups
    NSD
    Taken snacks & drinks with us
    HE children for free
    Stuck to the meal plan
    All food & drink from stores
    Cleaned a unit in the dining room & a mirror with water and reusable cloths
    Received some outstanding rewards for a survey
    RM survey
    Entered a couple of free competitions
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 40,364 Thanks
    DawnW
    Hope work goes ok for you tomorrow Ally
    Pleased you had a better day BB

Not much planned today, but sometimes that works out better... we will see!

Check banks and update spreadsheet Done
    Clean another room / floor - probably main bathroom today, as the black and white tiles on the floor show every speck of dust Done, liking this clean one room a day idea
    Need a couple of items of shopping Done
    Go to sales unit and tidy up /see what restocking needed, if any! Had a few sales, added a couple of small bits but really need to take more things down tomorrow Sorted some bits out to take, still need to price up.
    Feed tomatoes and other veg in pots Done - tomato liquid fertiliser (which is what I use for all fruit, veg and flowers in pots) was one of the things on my list. Got a big bottle for 1.99 in the pound-ish shop
    Water anything else that needs it Done - I have a combi boiler, and it is shocking the amount of water that runs before it starts to heat up I keep a clean bowl to catch this instead of it running down the drain. Not enough for all the watering that I need to do, but enough for some, and saves waste
    Food from home, though meal planning has failed and I have no idea what we are going to have for dinner It will definitely be something we already have in though![/QUOTE] OH has gone fishing, so haven't acually cooked anything yet - there is some filled pasta in the fridge though, some HM tomato sauce out of the freezer and Grana Padano to grate over!

Walked dog, which, with my walk to town this morning (a couple of miles there and back) is a reasonable amount of exercise for an old 'un. I am so pleased to be able to do this again

Pulled some airbeds and the pump thing to blow them up from the cupboard under the stairs, listed on FB selling pages. I had pretty much forgotten about these, but would regularly swear about the mystery item blocking up the back of the cupboard when trying to put the hoover away Someone is apparently coming to pick them up tomorrow, but if they don't, others are interested. Result - they will get a bargain as they are good quality and hardly used, and I will get more space in my hoover/ airer / ironing board etc cupboard

Took some unlovable looking fruit from the bowl on the dining room table, 4 clementines and a large orange which had lost that fresh, glossy look. Cut them in half, squeezed juice, shredded peel, which is currently soaking in advance of being turned into marmalade tomorrow, with the addition of some lemon juice and sugar

Just about to triage the fridge, and then I think I deserve a small glass of wine!
    Last edited by DawnW; 10-07-2018 at 8:48 PM.
    July NSDs - 6 / 13
    Groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies and pet supplies - 195.07 / 250.00
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Jul 18, 7:01 AM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi July-Penny-Jailers,

Back to work.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

THINGS I WILL DO:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Take medication. Done.

* Turn alarm clock off at the wall til tonight. Done.

* Get some exercise. Done. Parked 10 mins away from work and walked in.

* Take a packed lunch and coffee sachets. Done.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 11-07-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 103.49 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,074 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Hmm, been awol and it's been tricky but tried to keep the MSE faith however couple of things were outside my control. Mainly hospital parking fees anyway time to refocus today will be:
    Check banking, pet insurance payment in, moved money to replenish piggy
    Check banking
    Check for surveys
    Small shopping list
    Triage fridge, that *may* have fallen by the wayside over the weekend
    Quick tidy round
    Print off a couple of things
    Water the garden, feed the tomatoes
    Put some washing away - no ironing here
    Message a local artist about some gifts to see if they are in stock.

Hope everyone is ok, be kind to yourselves. Purps.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Jul 18, 9:16 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 12,383 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Ally - I hope your first day back goes ok

BB - glad that yesterday was a bit better

sorry purps - we cross-posted. I hope you're ok

I got some new sandals. Not really what I was looking for but 20 for Jack Wolfskin ones and they will do for now until I find something better. I'm looking for a good blend of walking sandal, but pretty-ish. These are a bit chunky and functional but keep me trucking along.

So today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Gym at lunchtime - done
    • charge phone in work - done
    • water garden
    • ring dentist to check app time for tomorrow - done. Not nearly as early as I thought luckily
    • Going to watch the match but am not drinking.
    Have a good one all

clf x

*slight rant coming*
    Maybe I shouldn't ask OH to do the lunch because essentially I didn't get my arris in gear to make them this morning but I feel like I wrote some very specific instructions that he's not managed to follow. My mozzarella salad is mozzarella-less. And I think we have significantly different interpretations of the words "finely diced". And he dumped the hot onions and pearl barley in with all the lettuce etc so now I have a soggy, limp, proteinless bowl of salad. bork.
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 11-07-2018 at 4:40 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 40,364 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Got a few things done so far:
    Made a batch of marmalade - though I fear it looks as though it will be a bit sloppy and I will need to tip it back into the pan and boil it up again I think it will be ok
    Checked banks, moved some money, a matured regular saver which the bank had dumped into an account paying a small fraction of a percent interest.
    Hoovered bottom flight of stairs
    Sold unwanted airbeds and their pump on FB

Walked to sales unit with a load of stock in my shopping trolley - OH is out in the car, and I didn't fancy trying to manoevre the camper van round the narrow, sharp bend to the back entrance of the shop where my unit is situated
    Did a bit of shopping in Iceland as I was passing - I wanted bread and fruit, also bought a YS pack of minced pork. Bought 2 loaves, 400g minced pork, bananas, oranges and clementines for 1.35, plus a 5 shopping voucher from RM surveys that had been in my bag for ages

Still to do:
    Update spreadsheet Done
    Water garden - and I think I will move a large potted fuchsia from the back into the front garden to cover up an ugly bare patch on the border - no spend needed there! Done
    More cleaning - main bedroom today, and I have some stuff to put away in the spare room too. Done
    Reboil marmalade if it doesn't sort itself out. No need

Hope you are ok Purps - Don't like the sound of all that hospital parking
    Last edited by DawnW; 11-07-2018 at 9:54 PM.
    July NSDs - 6 / 13
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 4,147 Posts
    • 21,532 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Wednesday Winners,
    Not my most productive of days as had a long meeting to attend this morning but have managed a bit of a list:
    *Got dropped off in town by mr f which saved 4.50 parking charge.
    *Cheese on toast for lunch to use up 2 stale slices of bread.
    *Defrosted tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Bought tomato food - 1.50 a bottle, which is 1.49 less than the last bottle.
    *Resisted Monsoon sale.
    *Free fitness as easily surpassed my 7000 daily step target by walking round town then up to my meeting.
    *Watered veggies - will feed later when cooler.
    *Weeded sweetcorn & staked. About to start on the remaining third of that raised bed where I have 2 squash plants.
    *Slightly tweaked meal plans so as to use some homegrown courgettes in a pasta dish.
    *Put 500g bag of pinto beans into soak as am batch cooking refried beans tomorrow.
    *Finish sock no.1 of pair I'm knitting for a Christmas present.
    And apart from ensuring I avoid all things footie-related tonight......that's my lot!
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 264
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    allydowd

Ally - I hope your first day back goes ok.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta

Thanks. It was "character-building".

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    allydowd
    * Froze wilting radishes (sliced up) to use in a stir fry later.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Jul 18, 6:58 AM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi July-Penny-Jailers,

Work day 2/4.

THINGS I WILL DO:

* Take medication. Done.

* Get some exercise. Done. Walk before walk. Walk after work.

* Take a packed lunch and coffee sachets. Done.

* Charge phone at work. Done.

* Make a Fridge Shrapnel Salad for tomorrow. Done.

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Last edited by allydowd; 12-07-2018 at 8:20 PM.

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Jul 18, 10:40 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,074 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

My list for today:

Check banking
    Check surveys
    Get something out of the freezer for tea
    Spend some time trying to work out why I moved 251 out of our current acecount on Saturday to a random savings account
    Spend a bit of time in the garden
    Keep a eye on the washing machine, it's playing up
    Drink lots of water
    Print of a form I didn't get round to yesterday
    Work out meal plan for next week based on what we have. Don't really want to be spending.

Enjoy your day folks.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 4,147 Posts
    • 21,532 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Penny Wranglers,
    Not a bad start to the day so far, with the following money-saving bits already done:
    *Watered veggie garden & greenhouse.
    *Batch cooking fat-free refried beans in slow cooker.
    *Triage of fridge to identify use-it-up items to be added to tonight's salad.
    *Did banking & updated July's budget.
    *Transferred funds to where they need to be, including a 7.50 credit extra to grocery budget. Remember those new sunglasses mr f took back to the shop because they actually MELTED?! Well, the pair he had in exchange were in the sale & thus 7.50 less in price, so they refunded him the difference.
    *Sorted out car tax renewal. Free, despite being a diesel & not the environmentally sensible choice we were all told for so long.
    *Packed bag of library returns.
    *Ordered dressmaking pattern for a simple tunic top which I can hopefully master & knock out in various different colours/patterns. 20% off patterns today, which was a nice surprise.
    *Bake sourdough loaf
    *Did a survey.
    *Updated my signature with a further 5 survey income.
    *Took tomorrow's packed lunch (leftovers!) out of the freezer & butter last chunk of loaf to pack with it.

Money saving tasks still to do:
    *Pick last of the lettuce.
    *Weed & rake lettuce bed & plant out next batch of lettuce plants. The half dozen interim ones I put out were eaten in 2 days by bloody woodpigeons, so will be netting this next batch.
    *Knit more of two knitting projects (both for gifts) - main job here is to cast on 2nd sock, so will defo do that tonight while watching TV.
    *Write up meal plans - discussed last night, but need to get them onto my July meal planning page in bullet diary.
    *Free fitness today will be bucketing this morning's bath water onto our garden. I'm using the hose just on the veggies first thing (no hosepipe ban here but lots of warnings issues about responsible usage) & keeping our pots & flower borders going pretty much with recycled grey water (I believe this is the technical term, I'm not suggesting that mr f & I are so grubby as to turn the water grey, lol!)
    *Get the spare refried beans currently cooking divvied up, some for tonight's fajhitas, & the rest into portions for the freezer.
    And that is likely to be about my lot for today. Still finding lots of stuff to tidy away after our kitchen makeover last weekend.
    Peace & love.......& keep your hands on your pence!
    F xx
    Last edited by foxgloves; 12-07-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 264
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 40,364 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all,
    Bit of a dead loss today, as I seem to have caught a nasty stomach bug, probably from grandchildren as they have had one So, up being sick all night, but feeling a bit brighter now, thanks to Lucozadefrom the corner shop! Small list:
    Load of washing pegged out on line
    Cleaned and disinfected bathroom to try to keep these blimmin germs at bay Despite supposedly having a not great immune system due to a medical condition, I rarely get stomach illnesses. Hoping OH doesn't get it, but he has just gone to lie down as he is not feeling great. He cleared a section of the garden this morning while I was asleep, so it might be that he has overdone it in this heat - normally we do stuff like this together (or I do the bulk of it), as although he is much stronger than me, he is quite overweight and unfit and not as active. It certainly didn't need to be done on such a hot day Must keep an eye on him, as I worry about his heart Probably best if it is the bug!
    Check banks and update spreadsheet
    See if anything in the fridge needs to be frozen, as I will not be cooking today!

Hoping for a more productive day tomorrow!

Walk dog later when it is cooler
    July NSDs - 6 / 13
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Jul 18, 10:03 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 30,950 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hope you feel better soon Dawn. I was up most of last night with a poorly ds as well, and whilst I'm not poorly I am very, very tired.
    However, my time is still incredibly short but I am starting to get there. I will definitely be finished all exam related stuff by the end of Saturday at the latest. Lost a night last night watching football with the kids. I was trying to do stuff in the background but couldn't focus.
    Had to grab pizza from Mr A for dinner, but much cheaper than the only other option I was prepared to consider (which was takeaway).
    No time to think about anything but work today - I'm a Year 7 tutor next year and the new little ones have been in visiting, so I've been busy there. Then dashed back home to find ds much better, and aggravating his sister.
    6 more work get ups!
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Jul 18, 7:13 AM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi July-Penny-Jailers,

Work day 3/4.

THINGS I WILL DO:

* Take medication. Done.

* Get some exercise. Done. Sorted out the storage room at work. Free weight-lifting!

* Charge phone at work. Done.

* Take a Fridge Shrapnel Salad and coffee sachets. Done.

* Continue to park 10 mins away from work and walk into town. Done.

* Check DW's balances. Done.

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Last edited by allydowd; 13-07-2018 at 7:55 PM.

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Jul 18, 7:31 AM
    • 6,882 Posts
    • 40,381 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys whoop it's such a relief to have got to today! I'm off now until Monday I'm tired now and really could do with a proper break, but I have 2 more weeks before I'm off for 9 days. We're all running on empty, madam just said she wishes she didn't have to go to school as she's tired....

Today:

* load of washing and hang out
    * have checked banking
    * quick shower for madam - she has her assembly this morning
    * call lidl to find out what if going on re the joint of lamb. I logged a complaint on 04.06!
    * finally sort out the life ins
    * sort out house ins. It has lapsed!
    * wear my new 2 (from cs) shop t-shirt tis lovely too!
    * go to the allotment for an hour this morning. Just a bit of gentle weeding and watering
    * meeting up with bff for a picnic lunch & catch up
    * will call in at the garden centre on my way back as have a 5 off voucher so will be able to get 2 big bags of compost for 5
    * make sw mushy peas curry mmmmmm
    * cook beetroot salad
    * tidy up upstairs - managed to get d/s under control when I got in last night but upstairs

That's all! Happy Friday y'all
    Last edited by determined new ms; 13-07-2018 at 7:34 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,074 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Determined I feel your pain on the mess, it's multiplying here plus they keep bring stuff home from school. So. Much. Stuff. Anyway on to other things:

Cancelled 2 elements of our holiday, got full refund on both. Hoping insurance will pay out on the other. Will start to fill in form
    Some fish out the freezer for tea
    Made jelly to make mousse
    Used friends which log on to check washing machines, need to buy a new one. Will have to raid EF.
    Using friends WM in mean time
    Friends birthday, bought her gift ages ago. Card form stash
    Check banking and surveys, both a bit light at the moment
    Tidy one room
    Check just for points CC
    Look for cheap hotel next week or an a1rbnb room for 1 night.

That'll do for now, enjoy your day folks.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jul 18, 3:30 PM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 40,364 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Feeling a bit brighter today, though am saving money on food as one slice of toast with marmalade is all I have eaten for at least 48 hours. Just about to vary the menu a bit by having marmite on a second slice

OH seems to have avoided the bug, but felt queasy last night. He feels better today, but doesn't feel like eating much. Maybe he has fought it off, or maybe just the thought of it - I always feel off if someone in the house has a stomach bug He has just gone to the dentist's to have 4 teeth out so not sure how he will be after that His wallet will be a lot lighter, that is for sure - no NHS dentists round here, unless you are on benefits or are a child. They are very good though, so can't complain.

Desperate for some rain here, it is forecast but terribly localised - the next town just had a downpour according to neighbour who has just come back from work.

Anyway, moneysaving stuff (apart from not eating!):
    Checked banks and updated spreadsheet
    Changed bed and washed linen
    All dried outside on the line
    Another load just about to go out
    Received a large pack of Persil laundry liqutabs from a survey site - that will save a few pounds, as I can now cross this off my shopping list Though I only buy the branded stuff if it is on offer, as Sainsburys own is pretty good!
    Picked a few cherry tomatoes, and a few raspberries

Will walk dog later for some very gentle free exercise
    Will also need to water garden pots if the promised rain doesn't materialise, or is just a few drops!
    July NSDs - 6 / 13
    • E11ie
    • By E11ie 13th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    E11ie
    Hi All

I've so far managed to keep today spend free but as there is no food in this won't last, not collecting our shopping until tomorrow, but won't order a take away - will buy and cook
    Also managed to build a second hand wardrobe as got fed up of OH promising he would do it :rotfl: so I've been very productive today.

Unfortunately been signed off work for another week :( and am starting to go stir crazy. I know I need to relax and de-stress but usually the only time when I'm still is whenever the depression is giving me a good kicking. I prefer to be on the go as it feels like I'm keeping it at bay.

So for next week I've got some plans - taken from your lovely posts:
    • Go to the gym - I have 2 x PT sessions booked in now, not money saving but they help my depression so much it's worth the investment.
    • Look into knitting socks for Xmas presents - help please :eek: I have lots of odds and ends of wool and can knit but never tried socks before.
    • I've been reading my "organic gardening book" so will measure my very bare garden and make some plans for autumn - and look into raised beds
    • List items for eBay / facebook selling
    • Go to run club next week tues and thurs as means I'm not on my own all day then. (OH works full time and often overtime too, so he kinda wants to sit and de-stress once he gets home).
    • DONT OVER-DO IT and if I do need a couple of days to sit and do nothing - that's ok too.

p.s Baileys Babe you're doing brilliantly, sometimes I find it helps to make a list of what you have achieved in the day rather than what you need to do - as often you are beating yourself up, but when you look back you'll have done a lot more than you think. Also as with me - it's ok to have a do nothing day when needed. xxx
    Total debts 5096/5596 all currently on 0% interest
    Make 2018 in 2018 = 603
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    allydowd
    AWESOME GOOD LOW-STRESS DAY AT WORK!

* Repaid DW to 275 for my newer used car. I did the Maths and think I will have paid off the whole informal debt between us on in about 6 weeks time.

* Employer has confirmed that although I was off sick for 4 weeks I will be paid 4 weeks' salary. I thought I would just get the 92/week SSP. Wasn't expecting that.

* Wee incident injuring my nose. Hopefully it will be ok.

* Pair of old shoes fell apart!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,062Posts Today

5,002Users online

Martin's Twitter