venomx wrote: »
    Thats no good then, Aldi accept over £30 why can't asda :(

Because they choose to..
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    omega27 wrote: »
    Asda was still limited to £30 last week, had to find and insert my card!

Why not just do that anyway.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    Or just pay by card or cash because it's simpler?
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    aj23 wrote: »
    Why not just do that anyway.
    Or just pay by card or cash because it's simpler?

Probably because they want to use Apple Pay?

And they (in this case Omega27) obviously see that as simpler than finding their card and inserting it or paying by cash?

The whole point of contactless from your mobile is that, for many, it is easier than looking into wallets/purses to find cards or cash.

For others perhaps that's not the case - but the thread is about using Apple Pay, not about not using it.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Probably because they want to use Apple Pay?

And they (in this case Omega27) obviously see that as simpler than finding their card and inserting it or paying by cash?

The whole point of contactless from your mobile is that, for many, it is easier than looking into wallets/purses to find cards or cash.

For others perhaps that's not the case - but the thread is about using Apple Pay, not about not using it.

But there's no limit on cash or card. Takes more time to find out the limit of individual shops that take Apple Pay than it would to just use cash or card.

The argument that "looking for" cash or cards in a wallet as if it is somehow such an incredibly laborious task makes me laugh. Like looking for your phone and opening up the software to make payment doesn't take as long. No one is that busy to need to make up one or two seconds. It would take any longer for me to take my wallet out of my pocket than it would to take my phone out of my wallet.

This thread is about Apple Pay. Alternatives can be put forward in a democratic thread.
  • Zanderman
    Options
    This thread is about Apple Pay. Alternatives can be put forward in a democratic thread.

I think we can assume everyone is already aware cards and cash would be an alternative!
  • aj23_2
    Options
    I think we can assume everyone is already aware cards and cash would be an alternative!

Well that wasn't my point but okay.
  • Zanderman
    edited 3 July 2018 at 12:26PM
    Options
    Well that wasn't my point but okay.

Well, it was, in that you were suggesting cash/cards would be another way to pay. And that these methods have no limit. But as the thread is asking about Apple Pay, and specifically about Apple Pay limits, telling someone cash/cards have no limits seems a bit pointless. They (and everyone else!) will know that.

And you've also now suggested that the argument that paying by contactless phone can be quicker is some sort of nonsense. But, as I said in the post you're replying to, for some people it is quicker. For some it isn't. You are, I assume, in the latter category but you can't really deny the former exist. They do.

They have their phones to hand at all times, but not their wallets - which may be buried deep in a bag..They may not even carry cash, or even a wallet, all the time, but may be inseparable form their phone.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    Well, it was, in that you were suggesting cash/cards would be another way to pay. And that these methods have no limit. But as the thread is asking about Apple Pay, and specifically about Apple Pay limits, telling someone cash/cards have no limits seems a bit pointless. They (and everyone else!) will know that.

And you've also now suggested that the argument that paying by contactless phone can be quicker is some sort of nonsense. But, as I said in the post you're replying to, for some people it is quicker. For some it isn't. You are, I assume, in the latter category but you can't really deny the former exist. They do.

They have their phones to hand at all times, but not their wallets - which may be buried deep in a bag..They may not even carry cash, or even a wallet, all the time, but may be inseparable form their phone.

I wasn't that there are alternatives. Everyone knows that. I was stating why alternatives might be better because you don't have to think about spending limits or caps at retailers.

I've been waiting behind lots of people who can't wait to pay by Apple Pay and it takes a few times to register to go through. It can actually take longer, especially when it's declined for routine security check and then, as you say, you have to 'find' cash or cards.

'may be inseparable form their phone' - Therein lies the social problem of society today.
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    Options
    I use my Apple Watch, so no digging for anything, phone, purse or otherwise. Quick button press, wave my hand near the device and all done. Really handy in the places that have lifted the limits, although people do look at you like you've performed black magic when you pay over £500 without doing much at all.

I can also use it when I don't have my purse or phone with me at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure