PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House for sale 8 weeks and no viewings

Options

Comments

• sx_turbo
    sx_turbo Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 June 2018 at 5:46AM
    Options
    I think you need to ask yourself the question why someone would buy your house in preference to one of these: https://www.keepmoat.com/development/francis-gate-silver-end/the-halstead-at-francis-gate which is, as I'm sure you know, just up the road from you.

Admittedly the £250k price tag is a "starting from" price, but for the same ballpark they offer:
    • a brand new house
    • estate location
    • a two year warranty on various things over and above NHBC
    • a choice of kitchen finishes etc
    • qualifies for Help-to-Buy
    • potential estate management fees
    • postage stamp gardens
    Yours offers:
    • larger square footage
    • secondary double glazing
    • conservation area restrictions
    • busy road location (even if it is only at "rush hour")
    • situated opposite "An old factory site renowned for attracting travellers" - Braintree Councillor (quoted in Braintree & Witham Times)
    How do you think yours stacks up in comparison in the eyes of potential purchasers? (And I say all this as someone who hates new build houses)

SP

Yes this is something I have been pondering myself, they don't have to wait at least 6 months to get the keys to the house, and they don't have to pay the help to buy back, and they won't have to worry about losing money on the house, new builds rarely keep there first sold price if you sell within a couple of years of buying it.

Although I believe everyone on here will tell me it's price and as stated numerous times I am working at this.

The travellers have not been back since they have now secured the area correctly, and travellers settle anywhere there is a spot of land, it's not renowned at all they have been on that site twice in 5 years.

To put the price thing to bed once and for all, I can't accept any less than £230 if I do I can't afford to get a house the next size up, the only reason we want to move is for a 3rd bedroom, but most houses we look at have less room than we do already.

So we will just stick to where we are
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    LOL massive difference between doing your weekly shop and spending hundreds and thousands on your house purchase.

Why annoy or put off potential buyers any further? £240k or £239,950 - it's the same thing.

Whenever I've seen sellers use this tactic, as stated it is usually down to desperation and being on the market for a long time with no interest, but rather than make a proper reduction, they think they can trick buyers with the pitiful tactic to try and get their listing at the top of the RM views again.

I think the only person it annoys is yourself. No-one else seems to care.
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    The frequency with which retailers (of all products, not just houses) do this suggests otherwise....

You don't think that with all of the thought the likes of Tesco etc put into supermarket design, shelf layout, product placement etc, that all those prices ending £xx.99 rather than £yy.00 is a random accident do you?!?
    This practice was originally introduced by retailers many years ago to ensure that the shop floor staff (not generally trusted by employers) had to put the transaction through the till and give the customer the odd penny (or whatever) change.
    Interestingly, the John Lewis partnership have never done this and only ever used round sums, to my knowledge and as an ex staff member. And they are one of the last bricks & mortar dept stores left.
    You rarely see it used for property now, but I can see where you're coming from, although imo it's a bit silly and it only makes the house look about £1K cheaper!
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sx_turbo wrote: »
    Did you read my messages, the same style house albeit smaller cos didn't have extension sold for 225 in January.

Another house about 5 doors down sold for 215 in 2016 which was identical without the large extension and the houses I said that sold for 200k were wrecks, hence why even the council was off loading them.

I don't believe now that I have reduced the price to 240 I would be being unreasonable to think that a target price of £230-235 is unreasonable.

There you are you have answered your own question. A house a few doors down sold for £225k in January. That is what 2 beds in your road sell for. People are not that interested in downstairs extensions it is the number of beds they want that makes them buy a particular house. Also the extension is onto the boundary meaning that you can't walk round the side of the house to the back you have to go through the house. An example of this is someone mowing the front lawn would have to take the lawnmower through the house to put it in the shed in the back garden. This would put a lot of people off because it makes the house no better than a mid terraced house. The point about having an end terrace is that you can get to the backgarden round the side of the house.

The value of your house is going to be around £225k the same as any other 2 bed house in that road.

Every road has a top value for a house. If you add lots of extensions that won't change the top value for any road. So if the top value for a 2 bed in your road is £225k it doesn't matter how many extensions to the downstairs that you add you will not get any more than £225k for it because if someone has more than £225k to spend on a house they will buy one in a better road.

You can believe what you want about the pricing of your house but it doesn't matter what you believe the value to be or the imaginary number that the estate agents have come up with. What sets the value is what someone will pay you for it.

Since you appear to hope that someone will pay more for it than it is worth it looks as if you won't be moving.
  • sx_turbo
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    There you are you have answered your own question. A house a few doors down sold for £225k in January. That is what 2 beds in your road sell for. People are not that interested in downstairs extensions it is the number of beds they want that makes them buy a particular house. Also the extension is onto the boundary meaning that you can't walk round the side of the house to the back you have to go through the house. An example of this is someone mowing the front lawn would have to take the lawnmower through the house to put it in the shed in the back garden. This would put a lot of people off because it makes the house no better than a mid terraced house. The point about having an end terrace is that you can get to the backgarden round the side of the house.

The value of your house is going to be around £225k the same as any other 2 bed house in that road.

Every road has a top value for a house. If you add lots of extensions that won't change the top value for any road. So if the top value for a 2 bed in your road is £225k it doesn't matter how many extensions to the downstairs that you add you will not get any more than £225k for it because if someone has more than £225k to spend on a house they will buy one in a better road.

You can believe what you want about the pricing of your house but it doesn't matter what you believe the value to be or the imaginary number that the estate agents have come up with. What sets the value is what someone will pay you for it.

Since you appear to hope that someone will pay more for it than it is worth it looks as if you won't be moving.

Ok thanks, I'll stick to trying to get 235k then. As I said someone was willing to pay 225for a mid terrace also with no side access you seem to be so hung up on,with a smaller garden and only enough room for 1 car and with neighbours creating noise on both sides, and the house itself being smaller I am sure I can get 230-235 for mine, which is considerably less than what it was first up for and when looking around at other options in the area 235 doesn't get you a whole load of house.

You seem to be very angry and pointy, not entirely sure what your problem is, I have been constructive with my replies, and have not been angry or pointy back.

People have given me their views and I have given mine, I have taken a lot of people s input on board and am currently creating a plan of action as soon as I come back from holiday, so will be circa 2 weeks before I have chance to make any further changes to the house, the price or the listing.

I understand what you are saying about people will pay what they pay, but I also won't be giving the house away.
  • JIR
    JIR Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think I would be one of your potential buyers given that I have been looking at similar locations and I can say that I would not consider viewing your property at current price.

I commute into London every day so a smaller garden suits and as a family we only need one car so the mid terrace would not be an issue for us - unless the end terrace meant we didn’t have to go through the house so I wouldn’t pay more for things I personally would not need or may actually not want.

Honestly, it has been a source of frustration about how much sellers need to ‘sell for’ and losing sight of how much it is actually worth. If the house you were considering as your next purchase said ‘we need 600,000 as the house we want to buy is 900,000’ would you pay it?

I think you either need to decide not to move or consider that buyers know what they are willing to pay and currently 240,000 to 250,000 is not it.

Sorry if this is harsh but as a current house searcher it’s just my thoughts.
  • sx_turbo
    edited 21 June 2018 at 5:43AM
    Options
    JIR wrote: »
    I think I would be one of your potential buyers given that I have been looking at similar locations and I can say that I would not consider viewing your property at current price.

I commute into London every day so a smaller garden suits and as a family we only need one car so the mid terrace would not be an issue for us - unless the end terrace meant we didn!!!8217;t have to go through the house so I wouldn!!!8217;t pay more for things I personally would not need or may actually not want.

Honestly, it has been a source of frustration about how much sellers need to !!!8216;sell for!!!8217; and losing sight of how much it is actually worth. If the house you were considering as your next purchase said !!!8216;we need 600,000 as the house we want to buy is 900,000!!!8217; would you pay it?

I think you either need to decide not to move or consider that buyers know what they are willing to pay and currently 240,000 to 250,000 is not it.

Sorry if this is harsh but as a current house searcher it!!!8217;s just my thoughts.

So you wouldn't pay slightly more for an end terrace which would mean you only have to put up with the noise from 1 neighbour only, and had much more living space for your family? (I have a 1 year old boy and when we are round our neighbors it's amazing how small the house really is without the extension, and the extra living space we have really is a god send and makes it much more comfortable), i can almost guarantee if someone was to view my house and then view the neighbours they would prefer mine, not because of d!cor but the space, both my neighbors say they wished ours was up for sale when they bought as they would have payed the little bit extra to have the extra space, it is all down to personal preference however. Imo the side access is a moot point and is quite petty for people to get hung up on if they are willing to live in a mid terrace.

This is a genuine offer, if you want, if your in the area, come have a look at the house, you can compare it to my neighbors (my best mate and is genuinely the best neighbors in the world), compare it to other houses you have seen at the current price, between 230+240 and I'll buy you a drink down the western arms and we'll have a conversation about it. House hunter to seller,

The house was reduced on Monday, I have requested the agent to ammend the listing to offers in region of 240k (I'm not gonna drop the house below 230 when you look at sold prices of similar / exact properties) we have an open house on Saturday, and will see what interest we gain from this over the next couple of weeks before making any further decisions on the price

There are 2 other houses of the same build round the corner for between 230 +240, which are smaller, have no driveway or allocated parking spaces and are mid terrace.

So we are all competing for the same market.

I expect the house to now be appropriately priced against the competition and am willing to accept offers.

I am also going to get more estate agents round get a bigger pool of their thoughts, I am going to discuss the option of selling as a possible 3 bed as discussed in earlier posts..

All this will happen in the next couple of weeks as soon as I am back from holiday, but the price reduction has already been made.

I can't do anything about any proposed plans regarding to the local area, and they are just that at the moment, plans, nothing actually set in stone, I can't do anything about the factory site, it is mostly obscured by trees any way and you can't really see the site (it is now also !!!!! proof), it is in a conservation area so you can't change to much out the front of the house, you can however replace the Windows for double glazed units, these can be steel or aluminium frames, and just need to be the heritage style that many companies now do, these are more expensive than plastic windows however. The front door can also be changed, but it has to be of a particular type, I haven't found anything available off the shelf yet (I did once but the company went bust by the time I saved up the cash) but the council houses have replaced their doors with bespoke units. The conservation part of the property I don't see a problem with, yes it is a pain you can't just get cheap windows, and you can't render or clad the house or get rid of the bush, but It does kind of add to the charm of the property and the village, and I have seen uglier newer builds.

From what the estate agents have said and what estate agents have put other properties up for then the figure should now be about right, but obviously not if no one is interested, so there is something fundamentally wrong with the system if none of these houses are up for the right money.

On another note, there are even cheaper places that also aren't selling so it may just be that there really isn't much of a market out there at the moment. And there are also a lot of other houses that don't seem to be selling and have been on the market for quite some time which seem reasonably priced and have a lot to offer.

If after all the above, and taking into account everyone who gave a constructive critique, and it turns out that a happy compromise cannot be achieved between what we require from the house and what people are willing to pay for the house then we will simply remove the house from market and stay where we are for another few years, it's not that big a deal for us.

I asked a question, I got feedback, I have put my views across, some have put their views across constructively, others seem rather quite aggressive which frankly is un-called for, and I am putting plans into motion based on the feedback provided.

I believe the above is a reasonable conclusion, although I have no doubt people will still try and flame me.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I don't believe now that I have reduced the price to 240 I would be being unreasonable to think that a target price of £230-235 is unreasonable.

You have open house in 2 days and the agent is still telling people..

** OPEN HOUSE 12PM - 1PM SATURDAY 23RD JUNE * ** GUIDE PRICE £240,000 - £250,000 **

the only reason we want to move is for a 3rd bedroom,

You have a 3rd bedroom you just don't use it as a bedroom

is this the one you are looking at?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54691329.html

if you ignore the new builds and that one all the other 3 bed max out at £265 not a great leap from where you are.

By the time you add the costs of moving better off staying where you are and making it work for you.
  • sx_turbo
    edited 21 June 2018 at 6:00AM
    Options
    You have open house in 2 days and the agent is still telling people..

** OPEN HOUSE 12PM - 1PM SATURDAY 23RD JUNE * ** GUIDE PRICE £240,000 - £250,000 **

You have a 3rd bedroom you just don't use it as a bedroom

is this the one you are looking at?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54691329.html

if you ignore the new builds and that one all the other 3 bed max out at £265 not a great leap from where you are.

By the time you add the costs of moving better off staying where you are and making it work for you.

The agent has been informed to remove this, I expect it to be done today. I obviously can't do it.

It's not just the 3rd bedroom we wish for, we also want a garden with more grass, and room for a larger shed, for an expanding family and all the toot that comes with an expanding family.

The 3 beds that are that sort of money are not in nice areas or have less living space than we already have or don't tick the requirements we have set out for ourselves, and we wish to not be terrace, although end of terrace will be fine.

If we sold at 230 we could still look at houses upto 290

No we not looking at that house, the 2x houses (there was 2 that ticked the boxes) we wanted has sold, but want to get into a position where we can move quickly once the right house turns up.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The agent has been informed to remove this, I expect it to be done today. I obviously can't do it.

It's not just the 3rd bedroom we wish for, we also want a garden with more grass, and room for a larger shed, for an expanding family and all the toot that comes with an expanding family.

The 3 beds that are that sort of money are not in nice areas or have less living space than we already have or don't tick the requirements we have set out for ourselves, and we wish to not be terrace, although end of terrace will be fine.

If we sold at 230 we could still look at houses upto 290

No we not looking at that house, the 2x houses (there was 2 that ticked the boxes) we wanted has sold, but want to get into a position where we can move quickly once the right house turns up.

All those reasons will be contributing to why some are not looking at yours especially like yourself families that have started growing.

I still think one issue you have is you are not going to be hitting the 3 bed market that are looking at the lower end of pricing, need a bit more space but can't afford the nicer 3 beds.

If you are right then someone looking for a 3 bed will be seeing places at £260 and might consider yours if it a nicer area even if only a bit nicer.

IT could make a decent last house for someone, downstairs facilities when the legs give up on stairs, a couple of guest rooms and a relatively low maintenance garden, cheaper than a bungalow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure