Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • restless6
    • By restless6 16th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 411Posts
    • 355Thanks
    restless6
    Dogs in rented houses
    • 16th May 18, 7:43 PM
    Dogs in rented houses 16th May 18 at 7:43 PM
    Hi
    I am looking for a house to rent but all adverts say no pets.
    I have a Labrador - do you think any landlord would ever accept a dog ?
    I emailed one agent to ask if it was possible in a house I liked but they said no.
    I wouldn’t know how to contact the landlord directly .
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 44,710 Posts
    • 53,172 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:46 PM
    Pot luck.

There are LLs who accept dogs. It's just a question of luck whether you find th right house with the right LL.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 16,736 Posts
    • 42,221 Thanks
    elsien
    • 16th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:47 PM
    Yes with some landlords if you're prepared to pay an additional deposit to cover damages and cleaning.
    No idea how you track them down but my road has a number of rental properties where tenants have dogs so it's clearly doable.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • restless6
    • By restless6 16th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    restless6
    • 16th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:50 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    My dog has never damaged anything but I guess landlords won!!!8217;t know that will they.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 16th May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 16th May 18, 8:01 PM
    House next door to us is rented, last tenants were evicted, had two neglected dogs that barked on and off all day and night, they did not have permission to have them there, plus a lodger without permission.
    Many landlords have had bad experiences with dogs so instruct agents not to accept them.
    Try a wanted add on local Facebook selling site?
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 16th May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 6,862 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    All the dogs i know smell. None of the owners think they smell. Hence extra deposits etc; cleaning may cost more.
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 16th May 18, 8:26 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 16th May 18, 8:26 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:26 PM
    You need to contact landlords directly rather than go through agencies, you'll have a much better success rate. My sister has had no problems renting with her menagerie.

Look in local papers, shop windows, staff noticeboards etc. OpenRent is also very good for this.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 16th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 16th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:57 PM
    You need to contact landlords directly rather than go through agencies, you'll have a much better success rate. My sister has had no problems renting with her menagerie.

Look in local papers, shop windows, staff noticeboards etc. OpenRent is also very good for this.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    You generally cannot contact landlords directly, all my tenants have dogs, as a dog lover I actually base my business on this as tenants with dogs find it more difficult to find places to rent they tend to stay longer... Ive had a few scratched doors etc but nothing a bit of polyfiler and paint as not sorted, I do ask that the carpets are professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy.

It might be the case you need to go to all the local agents and register with them and say you are looking for somewhere that will accept a dog, it will limit your choice but it is possible.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 16th May 18, 9:44 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 16th May 18, 9:44 PM
    • 16th May 18, 9:44 PM
    You generally cannot contact landlords directly.
    Originally posted by buggy_boy
    Really?

That's news to me and a lot of my friends that rent
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 16th May 18, 9:49 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 7,708 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    All the dogs i know smell. None of the owners think they smell. Hence extra deposits etc; cleaning may cost more.
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Loads of humans stink too though to be fair.
    • topsales
    • By topsales 16th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    topsales
    I have rented my past 2 houses with 2 dogs and a cat. One was a private rental and one through an agent. Just a case of keeping looking and phoning to check. A larger deposit may be required.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th May 18, 10:24 PM
    • 5,463 Posts
    • 7,655 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Thank goodness someone else has mentioned OpenRent ha ha! I am going to have to ask them for commission soon lol.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 16th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    LittleMax
    In my experience it is the agencies that are the problem.
    We used an agency to advertise our house for rent, they had a approach from a family with a small dog. The agency recommended us against accepting them. We agreed to meet the family (including dog) and were happy to rent to them. We did take a larger deposit.
    I think it helped that we are pet owners ourselves and had the difficulty of renting prviously and lying to a landlord about having a cat. There are understanding landlords out there - good luck with finding one with the right property.
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 17th May 18, 12:02 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    wesleyad
    We've rented 6 places with 2 collies and now as LLs we allow pets (seemed hypocritical not to!) We never had much of a problem finding places. If you are struggling I'd recommend having a look on gumtree as you will be dealing directly with LL.
    • thermal2844
    • By thermal2844 17th May 18, 8:04 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    thermal2844
    Try searching on Zoopla, there is a filter for pets. Then you will find most listings will says pets considered, but that opens up potential options for you. This is how we found both of our last rented homes, and we have two dogs so it was more of a challenge (one of them being a Lab as well). You may get quite a few !!!8220;one small dog only!!!8221; replies but keep at it. You will definitely have to pay a higher deposit up front, something like ~£200 extra is my experience.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 17th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    BBH123
    Im a Landlord and would far rather dogs than children. Dogs don't spill Ribena on carpets or scribble on walls.
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3700/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - £1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 17th May 18, 8:16 AM
    • 9,619 Posts
    • 14,407 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I believe that larger deposits for pet friendly rentals are soon to be banned (but OK for now), a cap of 6 weeks rent is going to be introduced. I was surprised when I read that, as it seems to penalise pet owners, because additional 'pet deposits' will apparently not be allowed. The article that I read, made the point that landlords can charge higher rents for tenants with pets, but that isn't particularly helpful for the tenant. Although I must admit that we don't allow pets, we recently had a flea infestation with our own dog, and it took about 3 months to get rid of them. The problem wasn't the fleas on the dog, it was with the carpets and upholstery. He now gets two flea treatments, the regular one which kills fleas, and now also 'program' which stops them breeding, so if the first method fails, it will be far easier to control the infestation (in fact, it will get to an infestation stage). Although that was the first time in over 12 years of owning a dog, but it was bad enough in our own home, it would have been a nightmare in one of our investment properties.
    Last edited by chucknorris; 17-05-2018 at 8:24 AM.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now mostly hike, gym classes and weight training (also a bit of cycling and swimming), less impact on my joints.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 17th May 18, 8:44 AM
    • 9,619 Posts
    • 14,407 Thanks
    chucknorris
    Really?

That's news to me and a lot of my friends that rent
    Originally posted by Slithery
    More landlords (about 61%) use agents rather than manage their own properties, so although he overstated it slightly by saying "generally you can't contact landlords directly", this will vary geographically, for example in Scotland 79% of landlords use letting agents:

https://www.rentpro.co.uk/blog/proportion-of-landlords-using-letting-agents-spikes/
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now mostly hike, gym classes and weight training (also a bit of cycling and swimming), less impact on my joints.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 18, 9:04 AM
    • 25,534 Posts
    • 93,504 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Unpopular though it may be to say it, some dogs really smell, particularly labradors.

We have owned cars that have had dogs in them, and despite our best efforts, those vehicles kept reminding us of the fact throughout our ownership. It wasn't nice.

Frankly, I wouldn't want anything to do with renting a property that had had a lab in it, and that's coming from someone who used to have ferrets as pets!
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 17th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    dunroving
    Unpopular though it may be to say it, some dogs really smell, particularly labradors.

We have owned cars that have had dogs in them, and despite our best efforts, those vehicles kept reminding us of the fact throughout our ownership. It wasn't nice.

Frankly, I wouldn't want anything to do with renting a property that had had a lab in it, and that's coming from someone who used to have ferrets as pets!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Former Lab owner here, too. Luckily, Suzy wasn't too bad until she reached about 12 years old, when she definitely took on the "old dog" smell.

I think it can be a dual problem, because many owners get so used to the smell they don't even realise how bad it is. If I went away for a week or two, I'd always notice the "Suzy smell" first time I walked through the door, and then 24 hrs later, the smell mysteriously went away.

But seriously, I think the dog smell is easier to deal with than cigarette smoke smell, and plenty of landlords seem OK with smokers (I know a lot don't).
    (Nearly) dunroving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,974Posts Today

8,376Users online

Martin's Twitter