Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 15th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 1,363Posts
    • 872Thanks
    BargainJunky
    Buyer advised item has not been received
    • 15th May 18, 7:48 PM
    Buyer advised item has not been received 15th May 18 at 7:48 PM
    I am an occasional seller on Ebay and on the 30th April I posted out an item and the buyer has just messaged to say that it has not been received. They have opened a case in Ebay.

This is the first time this has happened to me what do I do now. It was sent by 2nd class post and I have the proof of posting. I sent three parcels at the same time the other two have arrived.

I know I need to refund the buyer but do I suggest they double check with the sorting office as its unlikely it would have fitted through a letterbox. Once refunded I will claim for my loss from the Post Office I guess I need to send them the Ebay sale etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by BargainJunky; 15-05-2018 at 8:11 PM.
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 15th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 15th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:20 PM
    Look on the proof of posting, can you see a reference number for the item, assuming it was a small parcel?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 15th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    • 15th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:29 PM
    Yes there is a number - four blocks of four numbers?
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 15th May 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    • 15th May 18, 8:31 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:31 PM
    I have just put the code in and apparently they tried to deliver it on 2nd May but there was no one home. I guess it is at the sorting office with the potential to come back to me!

Do I just tell the buyer it is there?
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 15th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 15th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:18 PM
    Yes, tell the buyer what has happened. They need to get a move on to pick it up as eventually it will be returned to you. They probably threw the card out with junk mail, about 50% of customers swear blind they never got a card for some reason. - They do not need a card number to pick up the parcel.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • lilmiss1982
    • By lilmiss1982 15th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    lilmiss1982
    • 15th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:14 PM
    It might also be worth in future uploading that number into ebay when you mark the parcel as dispatched on eBay.

If you had the buyer would have had the same information as you regarding the parcel and perhaps wouldn’t have needed to contact you.
    For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 15th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    • 15th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:18 PM
    It might also be worth in future uploading that number into ebay when you mark the parcel as dispatched on eBay.

If you had the buyer would have had the same information as you regarding the parcel and perhaps wouldn’t have needed to contact you.
    Originally posted by lilmiss1982

Thank you I will do in future. I always upload signed for but did not realise that 'normal' parcels were tracked in some way. Lesson learnt!
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th May 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 1,736 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 15th May 18, 10:24 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:24 PM
    from memory cant you organise re delivery via RM website?
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 15th May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    • 15th May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:35 PM
    I have messaged the buyer with all of the information and hopefully they will go and collect it. If I get no response from them tomorrow I will rearrange delivery for them.
    • GAD1981
    • By GAD1981 15th May 18, 10:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    GAD1981
    I've had this happen a lot over the last few months with people chancing their luck to have their money refunded. I always send it signed for now!
    • Dox
    • By Dox 15th May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Dox
    I have messaged the buyer with all of the information and hopefully they will go and collect it. If I get no response from them tomorrow I will rearrange delivery for them.
    Originally posted by BargainJunky
    You can't rearrange delivery - it has to be the recipient.

The sorting office keeps items for 18 calendar days before returning to sender (I'm looking at a 'Something for you' card which I received today, or I wouldn't have known that!).
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 16th May 18, 7:54 AM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    The sorting office keeps items for 18 calendar days
    Just had one back after 6 weeks.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 16th May 18, 12:07 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    bxboards
    They probably threw the card out with junk mail, about 50% of customers swear blind they never got a card for some reason.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    I think the 'posties often do not leave a card' mantra we see trotted out a lot is completely inaccurate, I suspect that very rarely happens.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 16th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I think the 'posties often do not leave a card' mantra we see trotted out a lot is completely inaccurate, I suspect that very rarely happens.

I think the reason this happens is that by the time the customer contacts you the seller, they have already been whittled down to the group that didn't notice the card. i.e. in other words, they aren't going to contact you and say where is my item, oh yes I had a red card last week and ignored it and now it's down the back of the sofa.
    • wishuponastar
    • By wishuponastar 16th May 18, 3:16 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    wishuponastar
    I sold a skirt years ago, the buyer said it never arrived. So I refunded. And just put it down to one of those things.

Anyway about 2 months later the skirt arrives back on my doorstep with the original packaging but half torn off (the bit that remained was the half with the sender's address hence why it came back to me).

The skirt was torn/caught at the part where the package had been ripped, I assumed it was RM machines or something that had ripped the padded envelope. Someone had repackaged it in a plastic bag over my original half remaining envelope.

I never did anything, guess in those days I didn't know I could do anything, I was just glad I got the skirt back. But it was a shame about the skirt being caught as it was irreparable but I was able to use the small belt off it on another skirt of mine.
    Last edited by wishuponastar; 16-05-2018 at 3:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to close brackets.
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 16th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    moonpenny
    I thought second class parcels couldn't be tracked.

So, am I right in thinking if I put the ref number of my proof of delivery it will show if its been delivered?
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 16th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    It appears so. I did not know either! I have put in my code and it tells me that delivery was attempted on the 2nd May and it is either awaiting collection or redelivery.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    martindow
    I've had this happen a lot over the last few months with people chancing their luck to have their money refunded. I always send it signed for now!
    Originally posted by GAD1981
    This wouldn't have helped in the OP's situation and would have cost you an extra pound or so. Unless the value is over £20 the proof of posting covers the value and delivery can be shown with the code that is on the PO receipt. Signed for is only worth considering if the item is worth £20-£50.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 17th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    This wouldn't have helped in the OP's situation and would have cost you an extra pound or so. Unless the value is over £20 the proof of posting covers the value and delivery can be shown with the code that is on the PO receipt. Signed for is only worth considering if the item is worth £20-£50.
    True, though sometimes it's easy to put signed for on a sub £20 large letter item with a high mark up i.e. you'll get sad all from a PO claim but the item is quite desirable.
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 18th May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    Messaged the buyer through Ebay and they never replied so I emailed directly with the email address from Paypal which luckily they replied to straight away.

They have arranged for redelivery which should happen today. Buyer said they never had a card.

Assuming the parcel gets delivered today what happens then? Does the buyer need to close the case or can I do it as it is showed as delivered. I dont fancy the buyer getting a refund next week and having the parcel.

I now add the tracking onto anything I sell. Sold something Monday posted Tuesday as our Post Office decided to shut for the day on Mondy checked the tracking and it was delivered yesterday.
    Last edited by BargainJunky; 18-05-2018 at 8:04 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

455Posts Today

5,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin