Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MILLIEMOGS
    • By MILLIEMOGS 11th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    MILLIEMOGS
    Plusnet to John Lewis broadband rant
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    Plusnet to John Lewis broadband rant 11th Mar 18 at 8:00 AM
    Just needed somewhere to rant as it's another hour before I can ring Customer Services.

So, as Plusnet wouldn't offer me a retenion deal I decided to move my line rental and broadband to John Lewis, whose broadband is still provided by Plusnet and who share the same offices and staff. Should be a simple process I thought. WRONG.

So far my switch was delayed by several days without explanation. Whilst John Lewis did tell me there was going to be a delay, they never contacted me with a date when the switch would happen. Luckily Plusnet did.

On the day of the switch nothing happened, first call to John Lewis who told me it did happen but that they had forgotten to do something their end. This was done straight away and end of matter I thought.WRONG.

I then proceeded to get an email invoicing me line rental for the period I had paid upfront. Also Plusnet tell me that they have only been informed about line switch not broadband and that they will be charging me for standalone broadband.

Second phone call to JL Customer Services, who after listening put me on hold and passed me over to someone else, where I had to go through the saga again, they initially tried to tell me the second charge was an activation fee, before admitting that it was there mistake and they would refund the second charge. At this point I also told him what Plusnet had said about the broadband, but I could tell he was ignoring this.

So I come to this morning where Plusnet have emailed me to say they are taking broadband payment from my account for service.

How can it be so difficult to sort, as I say they share the same offices and staff. To make it even worse I signed up via Topcashback which should have tracked at 50.50 but only tracked at 10.10, so doubt I will ever see that money. Also signed up when the free Google home offer was on, doubt I will ever get that, and as the final insult, today I notice they are now offering the same service for 2.50 a month less.

Anyone think of changing from Plusnet to John Lewis, proceed with caution, and make sure you have enough money in your account to cover the multiple payments they take.
Page 1
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    J B
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    It all seemed to go swimmingly for me, sorry

Transfer was supposed to happen on Tuesday, but didn't till Friday.
    Plusnet kept working and then, when it cut off, I simply plugged in the JL router (which used all the same cables) and carried on regardless.

Free Google Home arrived about ten days later which I soon sold

DD's all worked fine - payments taken by PN and then refunded.

Rather bizarrely, the JL DD shows up on my bank as JOHN1234 (where 1234 is my account number)
    You would have thought they might have used their full name!!!

• phillw
    • By phillw 11th Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    phillw
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    I then proceeded to get an email invoicing me line rental for the period I had paid upfront.
    Originally posted by MILLIEMOGS
    The same thing happened to me when switching to plus net. It wasn't just an email either, they took the money. Conveniently for them, It seems their billing system doesn't automatically get told to stop taking payments when you pay up front.

As for the broadband, you need to double check everything you did when you switched (screen shots, notes from phone calls, prices etc). Then make a complaint to john lewis and plusnet, if you don't get anywhere then you need to take your complaint to the ombudsman.
    • However
    • By However 7th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    However
    • 7th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    Milliemogs, you might as well as written my own rant. Exactly the same - in mid February this was. I paid for the service three times over - twice with John-Lewis Broadband and once with PlusNet. The hours spent on the phone! At least I got 45 compensation from John-Lewis Broadband and my (written) complaint, and the requisite refunds from JLB and PlusNet.

PlusNet couldn't cope with my order to retain my PlusNet email address (at a small cost - it's a standard offering so why should there be a problem?), to the point they deleted my account without warning. I and their agent spent three hours one morning getting it reinstated. My (written) letter of complaint to PlusNet has gone unanswered. I'll review after the next billing date and ask the Ombudsman his views on complaints not even being responded to within the stipulated time.

More seriously in my mind, my formal (written) letter of complaint to Customer Relations at John Lewis' HQ in London has also gone unanswered. If Customer Relations don't have the manners to reply to a Customer's complaint, then we are at a pretty pass. It makes it worse that it's John Lewis not having the courtesy. I thought they had a good reputation.

After two months, although everything is working, I am not confident that the situation will remain stable. The one phone bill received so far doesn't make sense but at least it's in my favour. The email account's billing seems to have sunk without trace, again in my favour, but leaving me wondering what's in store.

What a carry on.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 7th Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 7th Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    I feel your pain - have a shufti at my experience trying to get connected with BT.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • MILLIEMOGS
    • By MILLIEMOGS 21st Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MILLIEMOGS
    • 21st Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 21st Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    Just to update . I did get the Google home and I did, after five phone calls, get the additional direct debits refunded. Still down 40 on cashback though. Have to say four out of the five people I spoke to at customer services were lovely and helpful, but everything just moved at a snail's pace.

As Plusnet are increasing their prices we are thinking of changing my mum over to John Lewis now, wish me luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter