Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 2nd Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    • 513Posts
    • 1,632Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    2019 Wedding
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    2019 Wedding 2nd Mar 18 at 11:40 PM
    I was looking for a post for any 2019 weddings but couldn't find one!

We've been together since May 2009 and engaged since January 2010. H2B got a nice bonus at Christmas so now is able to pay for his divorce and have a nice amount to go towards the wedding. I'm saving my half.

I think we are aiming for a budget of 3000 but going to save around 4000. We're hoping to have all the money saved by December.

We've been looking at venue's and other things we're being realistic and not booking anything until the divorce comes through, but hoping we'll know exactly what we want so that we can get on and book things when it does.

Hoping to catch up with any other 2019 brides/grooms
    Saving for Christmas 2018 ~ 140.46/365
    Wedding Fund 500/2000
    Car Fund 108.46/5000 ~ Bank of Mum 5000/5000 done
    DFW Nerd #1155
    LBM 25/2/09 Debt at highest 8,037.35 now 0
    Credit Card 2370/2500
Page 2
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 17th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    It's xironsongx on a new account.
    Needed fresh start. Like this UN better.

Saving for wedding is back on, it's all i can think about and all i want for now.
    1kProject 3.70/1,000Wedding: 625.00 / 2,500
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 17th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Ah, Hi again
    Wedding Fund 500/2000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2370/2500
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 18th Apr 18, 2:49 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    My dress came on Monday, it's gorgeous but I can't get it zipped up! Good job we started our healthy eating plan at the weekend I'm going to try it on again in about 4 months and see what it looks like, that will be approximately a year to go then.

We have decided on a rustic theme with hessian, white and blue.

I quite fancy wearing blue shoes, my dress is longer than I expected but you will be able to see my ankles and feet, but I haven't seen any that I fancy though.

We didn't go to the venue last night the lady had to cancel as they were short staffed, rebooked for Friday, I've given her a short list of possible dates so she is going to look to see what's available. Then we will be able to make the call to the Registry Office and be official

We've bought artificial flowers and had a play with them, they don't look too bad, not sure I was going to get much choice in the matter to be fair, and I'm considering using artificial in a bouquet for me. I also potted some seeds at the weekend, different combinations of gypsophila, cornflower and sweet pea to see what happens.

Hope everyone else is getting on well with their planning.
    Last edited by kdalwayskint; 18-04-2018 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    Wedding Fund 500/2000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2370/2500
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 18th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    kdalwayskint

invites - designed and ready to print
    save the dates - designed and ready to print

I'm really considering making my wedding dress, my mum sent down her dressmaking mannequin at the weekend so I think I'm going to have a play around tomorrow

we also have our colour scheme - mint and copper with hints of peach and blush
    Originally posted by elleJay42
    Hi ElleJay

What company have you used for designing? We've been looking but we haven't seen any that we like.

I thought about making my dress, as I like to dabble in that sort of thing but decided to get the one I saw, fingers crossed I can get it zipped all the way in a few months!

I like the sound of your colour scheme, I've seen some pictures on p interest. H2B chose our colour scheme and theme. I just showed him lots of pictures of things I liked and that's what he went for
    Wedding Fund 500/2000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2370/2500
    • elleJay42
    • By elleJay42 19th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    elleJay42
    kdalwayskint, I've been super cheap and made the save the dates on Word, 4 to a page on A4 makes them A6 which we thought was a fine size for those, you can download free fonts if the standard ones on Word aren't nice enough.

I found free printable invite designs on Pinterest that you can download and customise, you get a free 7 day trial on PicMonkey that lets you customise so I'm just waiting until we confirm the timings on the day and I'll get those made up.

I've made the outside parts of the invites, brown card with a pocket on the right hand side for the RSVP and info cards by buying 12x12" brown card from ebay and found a guide on how to make them on Pinterest.

I'll be making about 70 of each, the save the dates will cost me 6 and the actual invites about 30 I think, although that doesn't include the ink for the printer, that might up the cost a bit

Pinterest is your friend!!
    Total debt at LBM = 4861.03

DFBXmas2018 #91 - 1757.14 / 3500 (50.2%)

HTB ISA - 0 withdrawn for house purchase!
    Emergency Fund 100 / 1000
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 20th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Katapolt
    I quite fancy wearing blue shoes, my dress is longer than I expected but you will be able to see my ankles and feet, but I haven't seen any that I fancy though.
    Originally posted by kdalwayskint
    I know it entirety depends on what sort of style you want, but my friend found theres a range of bridal shoes at John Lewis that you can have dyed, and you can either pick from one of their colours or you can bring your own swatch in and theyll use that. she went for emerald and they look gorgeous!
    FTB 2017
    Currently dealing with a Quarter Life Crisis
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 22nd Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    Hey everyone. We got no date so we could be getting married in 2019 or 2020 but I'm hoping it's 2019.

We decided to get married in a registry office & to have a meal with the attendees and pay for a reception somewhere else instead.
    • Financialwizard
    • By Financialwizard 23rd Apr 18, 12:03 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Financialwizard
    Can I join? Getting married in October 2019. Been together for a year this time, but was together for 3 years 24 years ago before life took us in other directions. We are the loves of each others lives.

This is my 3rd marriage and his first (early 40's).

Costing us around the 1500 mark because we are having a Registry Office do with 9 attendee's, Dinner (my Dad has offered to pay because he thinks we should have married 24 years ago). I have bought a wedding dress (first one I have ever worn) and I have spent on transport. My bil2b is taking the pics, and I have ordered a cake.

Viewing a place for reception tonight, but it is very difficult to find a venue for a Monday evening private dinner for 9 in the area! Nightmare!

As an aside I ordered my invites from Vista Print. Very reasonable.
    Last edited by Financialwizard; 23-04-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Add information
    Mtg Balance 147,000 : Savings 8,030.16 / 10,000

Getting married in October 2019
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 23rd Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Everyone's welcome Financialwizard

Invitations - I've been having a play with Optimal Print and 123print. I will have another look at Vista Print, I used to order lots of bits from them.

Divorce update - delayed at present due to one party not sending their proof of name change with the form! Fingers crossed it is sorted fairly quickly.

Venue - still not been for another visit as I am suffering really badly with sciatica at the moment, I've had to take time off work.

Shoes - I've seen a pair of Jo Brown shoes that I like, they are pink and blue with a pink corsage on them maybe I'll have to pop some pink into the scheme! Failing that, I have found a couple of pairs of white shoes that will be fine, I will have a look at John Lewis though, thanks Katapolt.

Flowers - we're having artificial for table decorations and if I can find some that I'm happy with I'll consider them for my bouquet. Have any of you seen anywhere to buy artificial blue Ranunculus? I have potted some seeds to see how quickly they grow and what the results are like. I've just got a couple of shoots coming through

Oh and I forgot to mention that we went to a little wedding fair the other week, there was a jeweller there and I was able to try some rings on, so I now have an idea on what I'd really like to have, initially I would have been happy with a plain white gold band, but H2B wants me to have something a bit different and special. The only thing is, it bumps up the ring budget quite a bit. He has said that he would be happy for me to just have a ring but I'm not sure I like that idea, what's other brides opinions on that?

Depending on how we get on with the venue and the costs there, that will decide on a couple of other factors, including whether or not we get married at the venue or registery office.

Nothing extra to add to the WF this month next lot of dosh in that pot will be on 1st May

I think we're coming along nicely as we still have not set the date, due to divorce and venue.
    Wedding Fund 500/2000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2370/2500
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 24th Apr 18, 7:52 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    I haven't planned much as you all know we are saving for the wedding first.
    But I've chosen my entrance song & also purchased my wedding dress for 40.00

kdalwayskint, I hope everything speeds up for you & hope you get better soon to view you venue.
    I'm also thinking about getting a few artificial flowers as I'm not into flowers or anything like.

FINANCIALWIZARD,
    Love how much you've planned!
    Great work
    • Financialwizard
    • By Financialwizard 24th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Financialwizard
    Thanks for the welcome kdalwayskint.

Went to the reception venue last night. Will do everything we want for less than 600 so I am well within the budget that my Dad gave me.

Don't really have much to do now, apart from Mr FW's suit and give notice, which we can't book until the end of the year.

I am now getting excited because the venue is really nice, and it has ample opportunity for nice pics even if the weather sucks.

CHARLEY

I am a nightmare. To give you an idea.

I have 2 wedding dresses - I bought one off of for 35 but it has marks on and it doesn't look great on me so I am going to have to give that to charity I think.

The other I bought from a lady that sells ex samples. It is a beautiful dress but needs a nip in by the boobs and a small panel in behind the lacing on the back of the corset. The second dress was 430 but it would normally be 1300 so I can't complain.

Belt off eBay for 6.62
    Veil off eBay for 9.97 including comb
    Shoes off eBay for 84.99 - Expensive but normally 119.99

Ceremony is a Monday afternoon (3pm) - 223
    Notice - 70
    Transport is VW Camper (350) - Our one extravagance
    Flowers - 45
    Reception Venue - Dad paying
    Cake 65
    Taxi home - 10
    Rings - Not having

If I am honest I think Mr FW will wear one of the suits he has already. He has no need to wear one for work so they have been worn for funerals and weddings only - in fact I think only twice ... ha ha ha

Only thing left to do is book notice and sort the menu 3 weeks before.

• Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 24th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    Wow that's amazing!
    Sorry to hear about your dress though! What a pain.
    My f.h will probablly wear his suit that he used to wear for his old job.
    I don't care what he wears to be honest. Long as I get to be his wife, officially!

We've found our perfect venue though I'm still looking around for anywhere cheaper or has menus we'll actually eat. We're very simple and I don't like fancy rubbish. Give me chicken nuggets or pizza and I'm happy lol !

I was looking to do the wedding ourselves instead of as a package but it turned out to be more expensive than the package!! We were gonna have to pay 1,000+ for bbq. No chance.

I'm stressing now about how to afford it,
    I need to put an extra 600 away as I used that money from my savings :eek
    (within reason though - not because I was careless or missed payments etc)

What can I plan without a set date or without being able to buy BIG things?
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 24th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Hi Charley

As we are still without a date we are doing little bits and bobs here and there where we think of things.

We've bought artificial flowers and glass jars and playing with them to see what we come up with. If funds are tight you could save jam jars for similar table decorations, I have got some that I've saved for making jam, just going to repurpose them. We are going to decorate the jars so they all have a similar look using hessian and string.

Oh and playing with invitation websites to see what we like. Going to do some more of that tomorrow. On some of the websites you can order a sample of what you've created, so I think we are going to do that too.

We've talked about first dance song and other music for the ceremony, but we've not decide on any for the ceremony.

We've started making a list of songs we'd like playing at the disco, and decided we are also going to have karaoke, which I was surprised that H2B wanted.

We have a notebook and just write lots of stuff in it, including any bits that we buy and how much they cost, I need to have a play with a spreadsheet for that too.

Regarding the bbq, have you thought about a hog roast? We did look at that option for one of the venue's we looked at, not sure where you are or your numbers but I think that came in at about 600 for 50.

We are always looking on e bay for things and keep our eyes open on local selling pages too.

If I think of anything else I'll come back and let you know
    Wedding Fund 500/2000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2370/2500
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 24th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    thank you for your advice,
    we'll be getting a package wedding - it's what he wants.
    i've got tiny bits here and there but nothing significant

i have started to make our evening playlist too
    • Kirstie_tnl
    • By Kirstie_tnl 25th Apr 18, 3:04 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Kirstie_tnl
    We're planning ours for next year too, and photographer is definitely a BIG part! what's your budget on this? I think i'm not allowed to post links here yet, but i came through a service called Perfocal where they claim they provide professional photography plus editing at a really good price, anyone tried / heard of it?? Thanks!!
    Last edited by Kirstie_tnl; 25-04-2018 at 3:07 AM. Reason: typo
    • Financialwizard
    • By Financialwizard 25th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Financialwizard
    I found a photographer that would use it for her reportage for 250 but we are getting married at 3pm and it was literally going to be for a couple of hours. However my bil is an excellent photographer so he is taking pics now.

• kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 25th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Hi Kirstie - I've not heard of Perfocal.

I'm lucky enough to know someone at work who does photography as hobby, he has done a few weddings for other people at work and I've been able to look at the pictures of them too.

We are looking at 250 max depends on what we want, if it is just the ceremony it will be 100, we can let him know nearer the time exactly what we'd like, we are budgeting for the 250 for the time being.
    Wedding Fund 500/2000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2370/2500
    • Financialwizard
    • By Financialwizard 26th Apr 18, 2:05 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Financialwizard
    Paying most of our wedding off this month because I've had a tax rebate which will cover everything off with the exception of his suit!

We weren't going to have rings but my very lovely dp had an unexpected bonus this month as well so he has treated me to a lovely ring. Feeling rather spoilt right now.

• kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 26th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Ah that's amazing Financialwizard

I've been able to move around a bit more today and I got my dress out to look at, and of course I put it on too!

A couple of things came from that!

1. It smells a bit odd, like it's been stored. I've got it hung in a duvet cover, where it's been since it arrived, I was hoping that the smell might have gone already. I'm not sure what to do next to make it smell better. Shall I regularly change the duvet cover, making sure I use plenty of nice smelling fabric conditioner? I don't want to fabreeze it. I could spray my favourite perfume on it, but worried about staining it.

2. It's still a bit tight, and I know I've only been eating healthier for a couple of weeks, but I think it's my shoulders. So I'm going to continue on the healthy eating plan, and try it again around August time, and see if that makes any difference and if not, I will be able to alter the dress. Currently it's got a scoop neckline if my shoulders are still in the way nearer the date of the wedding I will be able to alter it to a sweetheart neckline I think it's called, similar to a boob tube, by removing some tulle.

Catch you all soon
    Wedding Fund 500/2000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2370/2500
    • Charleyalmostking
    • By Charleyalmostking 26th Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Charleyalmostking
    I've added some more money to my bank account to save for the wedding.
    I get paid next friday instead of the 7th of may *woot* so hopefully then I will have some more money to put away!

I got to send off 2 parcels tomorrow in return for some cash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

46Posts Today

3,293Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin