Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 27th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 342Posts
    • 1,429Thanks
    -/chris-/
    Sodexo filmology data breach
    • 27th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    Sodexo filmology data breach 27th Feb 18 at 2:45 PM
    Hi All

I have been a victim of attempted fraud on my bank account through my employers cinema discount scheme. I had found out there had been attempted fraud on my bank account from my bank and it was not until 3 weeks later that I found out the data breach involved use of the Filmology website. There were 3 attempts at fraud on my account which my bank successfully blocked so although there was no financial loss to me, it has involved a lot of distress, inconvenience and having to obtain a new bank card.
    After speaking to Filmology to ask exactly what had happened, I was informed that my bank details were stolen from the payment page and that the incident has been reported to the ICO. The hack on the payment page was carried out over 2 months and involved many accounts.
    Although I have not suffered financial loss, I strongly feel that compensation should be paid for the distress caused. I contacted the chief executive of Sodexo by email and have not heard anything back from him which I think is a disgusting attitude to take from a serious data breach.
    So has anybody been successful in claiming compensation in these circumstances? Or will I need to take this to a small claims court?
Page 1
    • anewhope
    • By anewhope 27th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 4,342 Posts
    • 2,898 Thanks
    anewhope
    • 27th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 27th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    In your opinion, what is going to be acceptable compensation?

Couple of free tickets sounds about what I'd expect..
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 27th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    -/chris-/
    • 27th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 27th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    In your opinion, what is going to be acceptable compensation?

Couple of free tickets sounds about what I'd expect..
    Originally posted by anewhope
    I was personally thinking of £50-£100 for the distress and inconvenience caused. Considering the fact that the frandsters had all my card details and were attempting to make fraudulent transactions online!
    This happened to 7 other colleagues that I know of, it was only thanks to my bank that the transactions were declined. Perhaps I'm over exaggerating but I think that's serious.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 27th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 27th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 27th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    I'd add and extra 0 on the end and stick it to them.
    If every time a company go a data breach everyone affected stuffed them this sort of bill then I'd reckon the attention data security got in the boardroom would increase markedly.

Solicitors charge £250/hour and lawyers twice that so sounds reasonable to me for time and effort etc.
    Hardly worth getting out of bed for £50.
    • that
    • By that 28th Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    that
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    Was your account password the same as your email password? If so I would change your email password too, and pronto.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 28th Feb 18, 7:44 AM
    • 4,267 Posts
    • 3,754 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:44 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 7:44 AM
    You can't claim compensation for distress or inconvenience unfortunately.

Compensation is claimed to put the victim back in the same financial state as before the incident.
    In this case you have suffered no financial loss so no compensation can be claimed.

You are best on the consumer rights board regarding this as it is not a tech question
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 28th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    pmartin86
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    it has involved a lot of distress, inconvenience and having to obtain a new bank card.

Although I have not suffered financial loss, I strongly feel that compensation should be paid for the distress caused.
    Originally posted by -/chris-/
    Over 500 people have died in Syria last week

17 students were shot in school in the US 2 weeks ago

but no, YOU had to get a new bank card at no loss to yourself...you poor poor soul...
    • fiendishlyclever
    • By fiendishlyclever 28th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    fiendishlyclever
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    Go to the Have I been pwned website and look at the data breaches there - leaks are a regular thing. The Equifax one was huge, the Talk Talk one resulted in crooks using social engineering to trick people out of their money by using leaked personal details (according to R4 Moneybox). The firms often get fined by the ICO (and this will be firmed up in the GDPR) but consumers don't see any reward.

This issue isn't going to go away - but I don't see things improving much for the consumer.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 28th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    The world is changing and people have had enough
    Consumer wins £2K from B.Gas for wasting his time.
    see:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/7914426/British-Gas-customer-wins-2000-payment-for-wasted-time.html

Also
    Consumer stuffs Sky for £1500 for messing him around
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3091022/Man-wins-1-500-payout-Sky-BILLING-25-hour-time-wasted-two-YEARS-trying-service-cancelled.html

and
    Another won £3000 for being incorrectly billed
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2710809/David-beats-Goliath-Man-wins-3-000-payout-energy-giant-wouldn-t-stop-harassing-bills-didn-t-owe.html

All these are court awarded compensations for inconvenience.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 28th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 6,047 Posts
    • 35,096 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Hi All

I have been a victim of attempted fraud on my bank account through my employers cinema discount scheme. I had found out there had been attempted fraud on my bank account from my bank and it was not until 3 weeks later that I found out the data breach involved use of the Filmology website. There were 3 attempts at fraud on my account which my bank successfully blocked so although there was no financial loss to me, it has involved a lot of distress, inconvenience and having to obtain a new bank card.
    After speaking to Filmology to ask exactly what had happened, I was informed that my bank details were stolen from the payment page and that the incident has been reported to the ICO. The hack on the payment page was carried out over 2 months and involved many accounts.
    Although I have not suffered financial loss, I strongly feel that compensation should be paid for the distress caused. I contacted the chief executive of Sodexo by email and have not heard anything back from him which I think is a disgusting attitude to take from a serious data breach.
    So has anybody been successful in claiming compensation in these circumstances? Or will I need to take this to a small claims court?
    Question Prior to getting a new bank card, did you know about the issue?

If no, there is your answer.

If yes, I would be demanding the earth!

Meanwhile I'm off out in the sunny weather here out of sight in GlawstirShire, to check my neighbour has enough bread, I think it may snow!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 1st Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    -/chris-/
    And the award for the most pointless post of the year goes to......pmartin86
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 1st Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    -/chris-/
    @Blackbeard of Perranporth - the only reason I got a new bank was because my account at the time had been compromised from the payment booking page. I didn't know about the issue at the time of making a purchase at Filmology, it only became apparent a few weeks later when I fraud on my account.
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 1st Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    -/chris-/

Compensation is claimed to put the victim back in the same financial state as before the incident.
    In this case you have suffered no financial loss so no compensation can be claimed.

You are best on the consumer rights board regarding this as it is not a tech question
    I wouldn't be so sure: http://www.5rb.com/case/vidal-hall-ors-v-google-inc/
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 1st Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    -/chris-/

Do you know who I can contact to move my thread to the correct section?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 1st Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 9,020 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Are you in the lititgation capital of the world i.e. the USofA, or or do you live in the libel capital i.e. UK.
    No loss to you, either financial or imaginary, move on, live with it, thank your bank and enjoy buying on-line. Of course that is not advice since I am not qualified nor allowed to give any, just my opinion. Do please come back and advise us of your success pursuing this matter, good luck.
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 2nd Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    pmartin86
    And the award for the most pointless post of the year goes to......pmartin86
    Coming from the chap posting about "distress" when hes sugffered no personal loss, my post was a nudge to get you to relaise theres more to life than worrying about things that don't matter, and perhaps you should broaden your perspective a bit instead of clinging onto tiny insignificant events. CVlearly, it was wasted as your so absorbed in your own little life instead of thinking about it, or even ignoreing it, you chose to mock it. Good luck with your life, i hope you avoid anything significant happening to you, as you are CLEARLY not equipped to deal with it.
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 2nd Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    -/chris-/
    My post was simply asking for advice, not a lecture from somebody like you! Bad things happen in the World all the time and going by your logic, nobody would complain about anything ever again.

This was a distressing experience as I thought I had a large amount of money taken from my account! I wasnít over exaggerating, I was genuinely worried until I managed to get in touch with my bank!

So go find somebody elseís post to troll!
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 2nd Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 9,020 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    My post was simply asking for advice, not a lecture from somebody like you! Bad things happen in the World all the time and going by your logic, nobody would complain about anything ever again.

This was a distressing experience as I thought I had a large amount of money taken from my account! I wasnít over exaggerating, I was genuinely worried until I managed to get in touch with my bank!

So go find somebody elseís post to troll!
    OK so in your original

Hi All

Three weeks of distress , or three weeks of coming up with a plan. Sorry but I don't buy the "genuinely worried" comment, when did you check your bank account to see if there was fraud causing a "large amount of money taken from my account!"
    Accusing someone of being a troll doesn't help , but hey I am a troll and pmartin doesn't even come close , I am sorry you feel distressed and worried but this is not a technical issue, you would have been better served in the Praise and Vent section , or Consumer Rights of this forum.
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 2nd Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    -/chris-/
    I was out walking in a rural area at the time to which I received a text from my bank advising of an attempted transaction for £300 and to call xxx number ASAP. I didnít know what to think, was it a genuine message or was it real? I couldnít get in contact until I was back home so I could research the number to make sure I wasnít falling into a scam. So yes it was distressing until I managed to get home to look into it further. I was also worried about my other personal information such as name, address passwords etc. This was the first time anything like this happened to me as I usually consider myself to be fairly security conscious.

I appreciate how some people think this might be melodramatic but I was genuinely concerned.

Which is why I politely asked who can I contact to get the thread moved to the correct section.
    • -/chris-/
    • By -/chris-/ 2nd Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    -/chris-/
    Just found the contact, I've asked Nile to move my thread to the consumer rights section
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,587Posts Today

6,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin