96 year old gran and benefit advice ...can you advise?

Options

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As others have said, the first step is a social care assessment. They are used to seeing people with similar needs and may well have suggestions and solutions which haven't even occurred to you.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At the moment she can't stand alone without me holding her hand and she's falling a lot.

Your area should have a group that works with people who have had falls to built up their strength and confidence. Ask at her GP's surgery.
  • Tinaarena31
    Options
    Thanks everyone il contact someone for some helpz
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    For the bed issue would a bedrail work?

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/baby/safety/safety-barriers/safety-1st-portable-bedrail-blue/p/149262

I know they are intended for children but may be a cheaper option than a new bed.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Not being able to walk without help is not going to get her put into a home. A care assessment can look at your needs as a carer as well as your gran's needs. It may also give her a proper occupational therapy assessment, help with how to improve her confidence and additional help other than you.
    It is not only expensive for someone to go into care, it is a last resort when all other options have failed for people who would prefer to stay at home - when it becomes unsafe. As much as anything, people with dementia fare better in familiar surroundings. The local authority will be quite happy for you to carry on in your caring role as it saves them a lot of money, and your gran is managing with your help.

You shouldn't get a bed with a rail without a proper assessment.They can be more dangerous than not having them if people get trapped or try to climb out and people have died when the rails were not suited to the bed or had been incorrectly fitted. Many care homes instead have much lower beds with a crash mat on the floor. Safer all round for some people.
    Get some help - it will benefit the both of you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Tinaarena31
    Options
    I didn't even take into consideration about them being dangerous....I'm trying my best but struggling slightly.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My 95yo MIL also had a fall recently with a short hospital stay. She subsequently had a care assesment and now has a 4 visits a day care package.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Tinaarena31
    Options
    I would love 4 visits a day,that would take the pressure off.
    I think I've just got into my head social services are just going to ship everyone of a certain age into a care home but I guess if there's family willing to help they will help us keep her at home.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:40PM
    Options
    You don't have to go to the GP to get a Care Act assessment, although they might be able to help with an OT referral for aids/adaptations. You can apply directly to the local authority. The information will be on your local authority website.

There aren't enough care home places to go round as it is, let alone shipping every one off over a certain age. Try not to worry, but it's better to ask for help now than later when it's all got a bit much. You have to look after yourself - you are no use to your gran otherwise.
    And if your nan can't make her own decisions about where to live and social services make one that you disagree with, you have the right to challenge it. You're not powerless, even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For the bed issue would a bedrail work?

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/baby/safety/safety-barriers/safety-1st-portable-bedrail-blue/p/149262

I know they are intended for children but may be a cheaper option than a new bed.

They're not designed for adult use. I'd be extremely concerned at the possibility of what would happen if too much weight was applied to one. There are adult ones available, but OP would need to assess what might work with the existing bed.

Tina, has your gran not been checked over since her fall? If she's refusing or unable to walk then she needs to see a doctor, she could have broken her hip or pelvis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure