Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,757Posts
    • 171,587Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 44
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 10:26 AM
    • 56,837 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    That's a shame. I'm bottling out although I could ring ostensibly about the uncredited 500 bonus More points for having a home delivery and then add a 'by the way.....'. I hate complaining face to face or on the phone. I'm as brave as a lion doing it online though

My Sainsbury order has arrived and everything was present. What I do notice is that the Use By and Best Before dates of fresh produce from Sainsbury's are a lot shorter than those from Morrisons
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Not good on the Sainsbugs dates.
    Do you not find them expensive?
    I have a Sainsbugs where I live (only supermarket ) & i find it expensive
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th May 18, 10:57 AM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 28,183 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Not good on the Sainsbugs dates.
    Do you not find them expensive?
    I have a Sainsbugs where I live (only supermarket ) & i find it expensive
    Originally posted by beanielou
    More expensive than Morrisons but I usually try to stick to things on offer or some of their basic ranges which are pretty good and reasonably priced. I also had lots of high-value money off codes as Sainsbury's were trying to drum up home delivery customers in our area. That's why I started having home delivery in the first place during the winter to save having to drive as roads round here are atrocious in bad weather, not to mention the cost of petrol. My codes are now all used up, including the free delivery ones, but I've loads of Nectar points from various places that I'm spending to lower the total cost a bit. Prior to that I always used to shop at my nearest Morrisons store as they didn't home-deliver round here until last month. It's a very small store although it is a proper supermarket and not just a 'local', and they don't stock all the ranges. I'm often tempted by things I see in their TV ads but can't get. That's why I was so pleased when Morrisons started delivering from the nearest megastore especially with it being free until the end of June and 500 bonus More points per delivery

I've seen the Tesco and Asda vans come through the village but I don't shop at Tesco on principle and was never very impressed by Asda produce when I used to take my Mum there.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9111. Under £10K at long last.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Coo!

I confess, I shop at Waitrose sometimes frozen veg is almost the same price as elsewhere, and much nicer. Iceland charge £1 for 800g. Waitrose charge £1.35 for 1k, and it doesn't have rotten bits in the middle of the stalks. Essentials mayonnaise has good ingredients, is bottled in glass, and not much more expensive than Asda - and I can walk to it, unlike Asda, which is a once a month delivery.

No matter where my shopping comes from, I give it a clean before I put it away I'm very much minded about the storage issues in warehouses, rat and mouse pee running all over the stuff, that kind of thing. Or ordinary germs that's what my various lurgies have driven me to, I'm afraid

I'm on catchup *again* today, as I'm finally having a day out tomorrow, to a games afternoon and my lovely ex-partner has offered to drive me there and back Part of my catchup consisted of finally putting away all the clothes I've run through the washing machine, so now I'll be getting them out again to start stacking for the cruise I need time to purchase missing elements too, eek.

Anyway, house cleaning and tidying has gone/is going well, I need another batch of garden rubbish for the bin tomorrow (not strong enough to do a bonfire yet, maybe on Monday). Ancestry is still calling to me with free access to the 1939 Register
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    MSE bits:
    - done v well for SB points, a thingy is repeating, I just keep pressing a button every 35 seconds (even while I'm having breakfast, I can do that) and points that will give me money magically appear
    - got to pay credit cards.
    - the phone calls last month to my credit card provider have borne fruit, as the woman promised - late charge has been credited, and the interest charge too. The cruise fees were in that month, so even though it was only three days, the interest was £30 or so
    - those horrendous phone calls to my mobile data provider have also borne fruit. There was an mse deal that promised a £50 amazon voucher, which brought down the monthly cost of the deal, and they refused to give it to me. Eventually, they agreed to credit my account until it was gone (plus £20 for inconvenience) and so far they've kept their word. I haven't been charged anything since that date
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 2:49 PM
    • 56,837 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would shop at Waitrose if I had one near me.
    I think their essentials range are fab.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 56,837 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the credit card fees & the phone

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks beanie

I did some digging, continuing on from where I was yesterday. Lots of crap in that there soil, plus some really *huge* roots. Tried to make sure the worms were all safe
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 10,882 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Great result on the phone and the credit card Karma . Those calls can drain the life out of you, well done for persevering
    MFW 2018 #157 Target £15,000

£14,689.68/£15,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th May 18, 10:51 AM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks PP the other thing I've done is to update the Adobe download that enables me to read ebooks from the library. I haven't been able to do that for months, and as a result, I've already read a thriller by Andrew Marr

Not much going to be going on today, not even in the garden - I'm off out this afternoon and SB is chunnering in the background right now, the little wheeze is still doing well; the goals are important cos they give you almost 10% extra next month, and that really adds up. When you're doing nothing except clicking a button while sat in front of the tv or on the phone, thats fine
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 56,837 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy FRiday Karmcat & friends

***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th May 18, 4:46 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 28,183 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Happy Friday to you too, beanie. I hope everyone enjoys the weekend too.

I've just returned home from the dentist where I had a tooth extracted. First one I've had out since childhood and I'm pleased to say it wasn't as traumatic as I expected thanks to my ridiculously young (to me at any rate) but incredibly gentle and reassuring Polish dentist. I opted for the extraction rather than lots of other expensive work to try to patch it up and save it. The gap won't show when I smile, it's far enough back to be unnoticeable so the extraction was a no-brainer really.

I hope you had fun at your board games afternoon, KC.
    I like the immediacy of downloading books from the library, KC, but I'm ashamed to say I can't get on with small screens, even tablet size, and I hate e-readers. I think I'll stick to real physical books and just put up with the trips to fetch and return them. Our mobile library is very good, although it's now only a once a month service, and anything I order online from the county's huge catalogue is always there on the libray van ready be collected on its next visit. There isn't all that much choice onboard without the pre-orders. Readers can borrow up to 30 books at a time so I usually come home staggering under the weight of all mine. I do worry about the viability of the mobile library service though as in our village, according to the librarian, there's only me and 3 other 'regulars' who visit it each time
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 11-05-2018 at 4:49 PM.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9111. Under £10K at long last.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Happy Friday

I had a lovely afternoon out, but with the amount of nattering we did, I've lost my voice again I can't talk at all!

Reading books on a tablet is a learned skill for me, CBC - sitting in an armchair, with a portable table that pulls up, and an e-reader stand - it means I don't stress my fingers to hold the tablet.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 7:37 PM
    • 56,837 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope your voice is back soon.

***Keep plodding***
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th May 18, 11:30 AM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 21,859 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Hope you have your voice back KC. The weather is improving here this morning after a cold dull start.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 94.29% after Q10 ahead of where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - after August 78.83% £7,883.47/£10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,530.09/£3,000 including stores 51% of my annual budget at the end of August.
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat

Thank you folks! I'm afraid the moment my voice comes back, I've tried to use it (we've got a lot of urgent family organising going on at the moment, in spite of texts and emails) and so it goes again Organising is done now, I'm simply not speaking to anyone till Monday evening

Between ridiculous throat and ridiculous weather, not much activity, and what there has been, has been online. Got SB down to a T, did a YouGov too, I've checked the excursions on the cruise, booked one more for us both and got another to query, I've actually started to get the bits and necessary bobs together, and now I'm scanning photos glued into an album by my mother - thats a bit tricky! It's happening though.

Once Ninja Warrior comes on .... I'm gone I can just about cope with the manic commentary
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th May 18, 8:41 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    themadvix
    How's your voice this morning KC?

Exciting news about the cruise excursions - how long till you go now?

I had a brief look at Ancestry, but didn't get very far as intended to do it while DH was watching F1. Except he needed my laptop for that So I had a nap instead!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 18, 8:43 AM
    • 56,837 Posts
    • 231,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good week

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    How's your voice this morning KC?
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Very slow improvement,thank you madvix - accompanying snuffles notwithstanding. I presume thats the body's attempts to smooth things over, it's not a cold. I feel a lot better today, but still only communicating with email when I have a choice

Exciting news about the cruise excursions - how long till you go now?
    Four weeks now the neighbour who looks after my house is on full alert

I had a brief look at Ancestry, but didn't get very far as intended to do it while DH was watching F1. Except he needed my laptop for that So I had a nap instead!
    What a shame! There was one person I really wanted to find but couldn't (a great-aunt of my dad's, she helped bring him up), plus a few less important ones, but to be honest I did really well. Very unexpected, but great They've done it before, I'm sure they'll offer it again.

Have a good week
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanie! Just going to set up my plans for this week.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Right, I'm not planning too much day by day, but I need to bear it in mind when I make choices - I need some activity in there each day, use it or lose it sort of thing

- SB and YouGov can pootle in the background, not taking up any foreground attention

- I need to buy one more excursion, a halfday/ day trip along the Atlantic Road, have a look at the pic on this page: https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/fjord-norway/northwest/listings-northwest/national-tourist-route-atlanterhavsvegen/11862/

- domestic stuff, utterly boring

- garden stuff, including a bonfire I might wear a mask for that, to be honest, with my throat being the way it is.

- finish gathering stuff I need. Even things like an adaptor plug: if 2 of us are charging a phone, kindle and camera each, wallplugs are going to be in high demand

- get 15 minutes of sun a day on my face, and try to look after myself more, not just look after the house and garden.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 29,757 Posts
    • 171,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Quick update:
    - SB is indeed pootling in the background.
    - done some boring domestic stuff (uh, cleaning shopping to put away )
    - booked the Atlantic Road trip
    - did an online Sainsbo shop, to use up a £3 off voucher. This was mse-type-interesting :
    • delivery tomorrow for only £1
    • automatic application of voucher, hooray
    • I buy 2litre bottles of water sometimes, as a safety thing: 17p at Asda, 25p at Sainsbo!
    • I also buy ground coffee, also as a safety thing it banishes the monster basics type is £1.49 at Asda, £2.30 at Sainsbo! Wow!
    The delivery tomorrow so cheaply is brilliant, I'll make sure I keep up to date with Sainsbo if they can do that. Tells me they might be in a bit of trouble, though.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

814Posts Today

7,299Users online

Martin's Twitter