PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New Year, New Plans and Hopes

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    I thought it was very badly written spam but not yet conversant with all the bells & whistles on the forums. Thanks for reporting it.

Mrs SD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Suki is there a defined "walk" nearby? We have a municipal park with fencing & paths around, or there is another around the back of the zoo & a hotel golf course, plus we have our "3 piers" - we walk from home out to either North or South Pier, walk along the prom to the other end pasding Central Pier on the way, and then back home. Its about 5-6miles and takes around 2 hours to complete without shopping stops!

Funnily enough, with our county being classed as one of the most obese, we have loads of walks for life and free outdoor gym equipment, but they are all town based

I live in the country. Yayyy one thinks, only here in NI we don't have the freedom to roam, their are no nice right of ways across land. You have to risk life and limb walking single lane country roads ( believe me, the 60mph speed limit is just a guide for locals who know the roads)

When Alfie (dog, passed away October 2016) was a youngster I used to walk miles trying to wear him out as most of the fields were off limits ( cows, sheep, fertiliser, stroppy farmers etc) But even then it was so boring traipsing lanes up and down. Walking around the rec when I lived in London was more fun as there was a group of us ladies who met up and put the world to rights on our walks.

I'm not really making excuses , it's just so hard to be motivated when you don't have a buddy to walk along with. The lass up the lane a bit walks , but I'd just slow her down ( when I say walk, I mean power walk ) She's so fast she walks the dog first then takes her walk :)

I will get there. Work will settle down now this month and I'll hopefully go back to just three days a week unless covering holidays so I will have to time to get into town and do the fitness paths to get me started. It's the getting started that's the trouble :). I did start the Wii fit regime a while back with support from the ladies on the lose weight thread. Then I got a very long enforced break from here and I lost interest.
  • debtfreeforlife
    Options
    What a lovely thread! I need to think about my non-resolution resolutions, but overall I think my goal is to overpay as much on my mortgage as possible. I made a career change last year which I am not regretting, but I am also not sure I want to stay in it long term. But it's a good salary, so time to take advantage of it while I decide what to do next. If I move back to the work I love, then contracts are less secure and I'll need a buffer behind me.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I've made a start. I plugged in the x trainer and spent a little time on there, and don't my dodgy knees know it ! To go with the glasses I have put for the cs, are 2 duvet covers, still very usable, but no longer "go"with the bedroom colours, some towels, not needed as I still have quite a few and some small dishes which probably last saw the light about 5 years ago. Still got a long way to go but I am determined to get there, wherever "there" is.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 December 2017 at 9:43AM
    Options
    Hi Suki......that was a very brave post.....:T:T. Just want you to know that I’m roooting for you.

Well I’ve started my “get out more and make new friends” already.

Wait till you hear this......:rotfl: it’s a bit long but hopefully it will make you smile.

Yesterday I went into town to meet a lady I had met through the Jolly Dollies, a widows support group I recently joined. I don’t know her very well but she rang me and invited me out for a coffee. If truth be told I didn’t really feel like it but I thought “dammit this is what I said I’d do, so I will just have to put my money where my mouth is and do it”. So I decided to go into town on the bus (free bus ride and no hassle with parking).

Well at the bus stop I got chatting to a lady who lives round the corner but who I have never met before. In town I saw her in a shop where I bought a pair of trousers in the sale and we chatted again.

. At the checkout they gave me a 20 percent off voucher to be used in January. I knew I won’t be able to use it because I’m away on holiday so I found that lady and gave it to her. She was dead chuffed. We chatted some more and we discovered we share a mutual love of horse racing. She asked for my number and said she would ring me and we could get together and go to the races......

So two nice new friends in one day (ok acquaintances but hopefully with the potential to become friends).

A good start to 2018 and my goals.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Count me in, please. My plans for 2018:
    1. Get a permanent job. I’m an accountant and I am working as a contractor. Contracting makes me unhappy - I want to belong somewhere.
    2. Save more money - part 1: save all the mileage I claim in 2018 in the “Car’s account”. I regularly drive over 200 miles a week for work. When DH did this, he saved over £7k. (He drove a lot in his old job.)
    3. Run. I want to be able to comfortably run 5k. (At the moment, I’m lucky if I can run 50m.). I will be using the free BBC/NHS Couch-to-5K app on my phone as my “trainer”.
    4. Do my MSc. This is almost a no-brainier. Thanks to a deal with the University of London, I only have to complete one module of study and one assignment to upgrade my professional qualifications to an MSc. God knows what I’ll do for my assignment - that’s the part that scares me - but I would regret it if I don’t at least try.
    5. Knit from stash. I do not need more yarn. I am long past SABLE (stash acquisition beyond life expectancy). I’m also bigger on knitting ambition than I am on action. I have completed four adult jumpers this year and 7 pairs of socks.
    6. Garden. I want to build a couple of raised beds at the back of the garden and grow more veg.
    7. Learn French. I used to sit in my car for 10 minutes every morning, working my way through two modules of French on Duolingo. I got out of the habit when I changed jobs. Time to re-start it.
    8. Be tidier. Someone on here has the mantra “Don’t put it down; put it away”. I need to implement it.
    9. Be a better friend. While I’m ok at making friends, I think I am quite poor at maintaining friendships. I want to do better.
    10. Save more money - part 2: my bank has this facility they call “save the change” where they round up debit card purchases and deposit the difference into a separate savings account. I want to see how much accumulates in 2018.
    11. Save more money - part 3: our income is precarious. I’m a contractor and DH is currently unemployed. I want my company bank account to grow to 3 months worth of salary+tax+pension. It currently stands at 2 months but it’ll also have to pay for the MSc.

Good luck everyone with your plans.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Suki - that was a very brave and honest post. Big hugs.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    1. Knit from stash. I do not need more yarn. I am long past SABLE (stash acquisition beyond life expectancy). I’m also bigger on knitting ambition than I am on action. I have completed four adult jumpers this year and 7 pairs of socks.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I know the feeling! Haven't attempted socks so far but will be giving it a try.

Went out for a walk today. OK, it wasn't very far or even at a brisk pace BUT I enjoyed it, felt more energetic when I got back home and noticed snowdrops in bloom plus daffodils poking their heads through.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just some contentment would suit me fine. Happiness is something I doubt I'll find but to be less unhappy would be good :o. After years of trying very hard, I am not too hopeful :o

Other than that I am going to make a concerted effort to be healthier, cook more and eat 'proper' food.

I should try to be more social and make some friends but I find social interactions/situations very difficult these days, who wants to be around someone who, despite trying, struggles with life.

I probably shouldn't have posted the above and will regret it, but it's the truth :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're having a bad time Karcher; you've probably heard all the clich!s but my late Mum used to say, " Nothing lasts for ever" which always gave me hope that things would be better eventually. That generation had a saying for every occasion didn't they? She also used to say, " If you've got no feet, you will always find someone with no legs" I know this meant that there is always someone worse off than you, but I thought it a very strange thing to say!
    I hope that contentment finds you soon and that next year is a better one for you.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport