Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 15,994Posts
    • 135,742Thanks
    JackieO
    New Year, New Plans and Hopes
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    New Year, New Plans and Hopes 28th Dec 17 at 9:04 AM
    Good Morning chums ,well as its almost the end of 2017 what things would you like to see change for the better in the coming year.
    Not so much resolutions, as they are far to easy to forget, and break. But actual plans, hopes and dreams ,be they small or large and why

I am hoping to detox my study of all the old rubbish accumulated over the past year , the projects started, and not finished. The books collected, yet not read.

The upcycling to be done in my conservatory, no more shilly-shallying that stool will get finished off sanding, undercoated and top coated .

The shelf I bought to be put up will jolly well get put up .The mirror that I stuck around with masking tape will be painted and hung. The print I bought back in April will be framed and hung up.Tubs in the garden will get planted with tomatoes instead of bulbs to save me some cash.

enough prevaricating, this is my master plan for 2019, so come on chums what's yours.

doesn't have to be big can be a to-do job that just hasn't been done Pick a few out and write them done and get motivated
    Lets see how many of us can polish a few of them off

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 25-01-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19.Freezer slowly getting depleted. Trying to run it down to defrost,it was packed full to the brim.This is for food only
Page 5
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 8,067 Posts
    • 28,200 Thanks
    Primrose
    Coming to this thread a little late but planning to
    *. Become a little more active and healthy (have bought Dr Rangan Chattergee’s The 4 Pillar Plan”. Details on Dr.chattegee.com. I am buying a wrist step counter to incentivise my daily paces taken. It will hopefully shame me into doing better.
    *. Select and enjoy listening to a different CD every day from our large neglected collection. (I can alwaych notch up some paces or squats whilst listening!!)
    *. Rundown freezers and storecupboards before restocking them and menu plan two weeks in advance
    *. Only grow the veg in my plot which do well instead of trying the same old failures every year (my plot will just not produce decent cauliflowers or celeriac yet every year I waste time and space trying to grow them !)
    *. Keep in better touch with some of my more distant friends.
    *. And the annual one which regularly appears but which rarely gets completed: Declutter, declutter, declutter!
    • Citygirl1
    • By Citygirl1 7th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Citygirl1
    not set my full list yet but off the top of my head

smile more .....2017 i haven't done a lot of that
    become a face to face befriender for age Uk
    dump the attitude hoovers in my life (mostly done in 2017 but will continue)
    less on line time more real time
    read more
    plan some travel early doors then carry through
    introduce some different foods into my life
    take more care of my lovely home
    journal

well that will do for now but no doubt lots more will be added in reality....I am ready to enjoy 2018 without the baggage from years gone by
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Hi, when you say journal, what kind of journal do you mean? Just wondering as my journal is full of negativity mainly and am thinking of starting a new one for more goals and plans.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 12,458 Posts
    • 40,202 Thanks
    Nelski
    Hi, when you say journal, what kind of journal do you mean? Just wondering as my journal is full of negativity mainly and am thinking of starting a new one for more goals and plans.
    Originally posted by Citygirl1
    Mine has a bit of everything so its how i'm feeling at the time. It can get a bit morose at times I guess but it also has lots of positive stuff. I think journalling is really effective in removing thoughts from the head onto paper which i find easier to deal with.

it also has lots and lots of goals and plans
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 8th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Well I've made a start and emptied out the spare room cupboard. I have 3 bags for the cs and 2 bags of rubbish. I had to do it in small doses, that way I kept focused and didn't get distracted, much . I did sit for a while looking at some of my childhood books, some date back to 1956 . But I haven't looked at them for years and they are outdated by today's standards, so I will release them with a heavy heart . I keep thinking to myself that should anything happen to me I do not want my DD to have to deal with a lot of "stuff". I have put some items back in the cupboard but there still doesn't seem to be any more room than I started . At least it's tidier and I know what's in there, unfortunately my memory is not as good as it used to be and I will probably forget by the end of the week .
    My plan is to do an inventory of the food cupboard and the freezers next, but not today, baby steps and all that.
    Hope everyone is having a good day.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 8th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Is it too late to join?

If not, my plans for the year are as follows:
    new sofas, as my current ones are 15 years old and totally gone
    new curtains - age is same as the sofas. Have been donated some curtains which are good for the spare rooms
    pass my current ACCA exam - do at least one class a night..
    try a new recipe once a fortnight
    update our one and only bathroom

Thanks

Hope everyone has a good week.

SIL
    Last edited by ScotinLondon; 08-01-2018 at 3:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    D17/J18 £75.27; J/F18 £64.79; F/M £124.01; M/A £40.05/£130.00
    CCC - £26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • mrsnicewriting
    • By mrsnicewriting 9th Jan 18, 12:41 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    mrsnicewriting
    hi all
    Thanks JackieO for starting the thread, better late than never, I'd like to join in too.
    Main Aims Are:
    Declutter the house (there is lots to go!)
    Keep inventories of food and keep shopping trips minimal.
    Re organise and tidy my craft stash (so that I can actually find what I need).
    Bit more 'me' time this year (due to DH and parents ill health last year) wasn;t possible last year.
    Save More
    there are probably more I'll think of once I get started, but this will do for now.
    Also will 'lurk' less and post more as time allows
    Good luck to us all
    Sue
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 15,994 Posts
    • 135,742 Thanks
    JackieO
    Great that everyone is having a go at something ,even if its decluttering its given us all a goal to set .resolutions are so depressing I think whereas goals are more achievable (and forgiving ) if you don't quite do them all :0
    At the moment one of my goals is just to get my freezer empty so I can get the blasted thing defrosted not as easy as you would think I swear the stuff insides multiplys

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    Half year totals = £166.19.Freezer slowly getting depleted. Trying to run it down to defrost,it was packed full to the brim.This is for food only
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello
    May I ask a question?
    Does anyone do their food shopping in cash only ? I seem to be food shopping all the time and as I use different shops etc, I'm finding it hard to keep tabs on my spending and would like to reduce it too. So I wondered if I should try to take out a months money in cash as I normally only pay by card.
    I have done a freezer inventory and now I am going to do the same with the dry goods. Then I shall sort out what meals I can make with what I already have, then work out just what I need for the next month and try to stick to that.
    Any ideas will be gratefully received.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 9th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 5,732 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Yes I do.

Take out a set amount each week from Bank as I get my Pension weekly.

That covers food, petrol, money put away each week for hair, gardener and window cleaner, bowls subs, and any left at end of week goes into a container, which I use towards christmas, holidays, or a treat, etc. All bills paid by Direct Debit.

Only me to cater for, shop mainly at Aldi, and Morrisons for bits I can't get in Aldi.

Was paid in cash when I first started working in 1961, and kept using cash when I got married and then when wages were paid into Bank, still continued to draw cash each week.
    Last edited by Bigjenny; 09-01-2018 at 3:27 PM.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Jan 18, 3:26 PM
    • 24,069 Posts
    • 62,725 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Hi, Jackie, I!!!8217;d like to join, too, please.

I must do some volunteering, other than coordinating 3 U3A groups, which are for my own benefit, really. Not keen on charity shops.

Been thinking about joining a choir for a while, so I shall venture as far as the local informal one, which is mainly Welsh language.

Re clutter, I have a 'Monica's cupboard', which is groaning at the seams and top shelves of a fitted wardrobe in the same state. Need to sort those. Being married to a hoarder doesn!!!8217;t help, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Jan 18, 3:35 PM
    • 11,123 Posts
    • 29,695 Thanks
    suki1964
    Nannywindow, tbh I don't think it matters, I ve been working on cash the last few months as paid in cash weekly, but I've also used debit card for years ( and going back that way from next week ) when I've been paid direct to the bank

What I find runs my spending up is mindless spending. Spending for the sake of it. Buying because it's a bargain

Now I no longer shop for leasure, it helps living so far from a shop I must admit, and when I do shop, I shop for what I NEED. Wants I think two or three times about before I part with money. Many a time I'm that annoying shopper that leaves stuff at the side of the checkout cos I've changed my mind

I keep a running list of things that need replacing as I don't rush to the shops at the drop of a hat. Things stay on the list until I'm heading that way. I work with girls who go to the shop on the way home for a loaf, and come out £20 lighter having been tempted. They work full time, their husbands work full time, and they are always skint , mostly because of mindless spending

Keep a spending diary. For a month. Every penny you spend with either cash or card, which is not essential bills, write it down. Then see where the money has gone. At the same time, keep a diary of all food waste, it can be a real eye opener

Any ways, my bookshelves now look like bookshelves , two boxes going to the animal rescue charity shop tomorrow. And a crate of bric n brac to go as well and a full bin bag of rubbish. Just from two small bookcases. I've also sorted my jewellery box and am now working my way through my nail care box ( think over 100 nail varnishes and hand care items )

Go me lol

Plus one whole week without a drink which I'm really chuffed with.
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 15,994 Posts
    • 135,742 Thanks
    JackieO
    BigJenny I use cash only and found I spend less that way I have two purses a small one with the food money in and a slightly larger one with loyalty cards, bus pss etc and my 'Happy Cash Stash ' which is my 'treat money and used for treats and little things I may fancy .My food only purse is what i use for taking with me when shopping I put a set amount in there for the month and that way I know that I only have that to spend so will adjust my menu's and food buying accordingly,I think we are a similar generation although I left school in 1957. I have a credit card that I buy big things on, or my petrol once a month to top the tank up.But I always pay it off straight away. keeping an eye on the pennies in my purse means I am careful not to have impulse buys.At the moment my little purse is intact as I have not yet been to the shops for any food this month I am using my freezer stuff up as much as possible first
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 9th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    YorksLass
    “START & FINISH ONE TASK AT A TIME”Mrs SD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    After a lifetime of multi-tasking, this is a hard habit to break!

Does anyone do their food shopping in cash only ?
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    I used to use my debit card but have changed back to cash only as I found it was all too easy to over-spend or impulse buy with the card. Plus it fits in with my new mantra of "spend as little of the budget as possible". I use a credit card when I have a large online order for delivery (extra loyalty points) but always transfer the money from my current account to the credit card account within a couple of days.

My tips would be:
    Having inventories of freezer/cupboards (makes you realise just how much stuff you could use instead of shopping for yet more)
    Meal planning from existing stocks before shopping
    Try to use substitutes when you've run out of something
    Keep a shopping list of what you're running short of
    Don't shop until you've got a few items on the list
    Stick to the list
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    June £101.77/140 and 15/28 NSDs (Jan-May £70.66 under budget)

• eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 10th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 4,621 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    [eandjsmum - I so admire you. I have tried swimming lessons twice, albeit when I was schools (many many moons ago) but my fear of water and I think having a nasty p.e. teacher, has seen me never venture into a pool again.

I did it I went swimming although I think the teacher will have to be patient with me. I would love to swim properly and that means swimming lengths in deep water.
    When I was much younger I nearly drowned and I have been terrified of water since. I think its way past time I tackled this phobia.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    I have done both freezers and upstairs food cupboard, only the downstairs food cupboards to go . Did I mention I'm a food hoarder and is there a meeting or something that I could go to for that . I shall put the lists on my laptop this weekend and workout what I need for this month. No more tinned toms, UHT milk or passata needed for sure.
    Thank you for your comments about cash only food buying, I think I shall try it. Have to get DH on board first, he's pretty easy going but I need all the support I can get!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 15,994 Posts
    • 135,742 Thanks
    JackieO
    [QUOTE I did it I went swimming although I think the teacher will have to be patient with me. I would love to swim properly and that means swimming lengths in deep water.
    When I was much younger I nearly drowned and I have been terrified of water since. I think its way past time I tackled this phobia.[/QUOTE]

Well done for having a go I learnt to swim when in my late 50s as a challenge I had set myself,It took me a lot longer than when I was a child I think My late Dad used to make us all go into the sea when we were on holiday up in Scotland, and believe me nothing terrified me more than a freezing cold north sea of the coast of Montrose as a little girl.He was of the school 'It will do you good' and he was quite a tough wee scot who thought that fear was something you had to conquer He had been taught the same way and thought it was how children learned !!! I had hated the water for years ,yet longed to do it properly .I signed up at my local baths and our instructor was a lovely kind lady who took her time with everyone The majority of the class were over 50 anyway so we were all in the same boat so to speak.Eventually I learned and to this day I still enjoy the baths ,but no way would you get me into the sea again its also very good for my arthritic joints and I always feel better after a swim I can actually swim a lot better than I can walk great excercise and once you have the basics its practice really Good luck and by this time next year you will have your water wings hopefully, but a day at a time and do it slowly and it will come .All of my grandchildren swim like fishes but they learned at an early age at school When I was at school back in the late 1940s-50s there were few lessons around at all.

I am slowly digging things out of the freezer ,some of which I forgot I even had but they are being eaten at least
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 11th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 4,137 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Did I mention I'm a food hoarder and is there a meeting or something that I could go to for that
    You'd better sign me up for that meeting too. I reckon I could survive 6 months without leaving the house (although my 5 year old would whinge me to death on about day 5 when we ran out of bananas!).

My goal is to make an inventory and then a detailed plan for using it all up. I'll start this in Feb as I'm getting made redundant at the end of this month and will have some free time. Thankfully I've been at my work a long time so I've got enough of a financial cushion to take a few months finding the right new job (and do some decluttering in the meantime).
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 11th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    I did it I went swimming although I think the teacher will have to be patient with me. I would love to swim properly and that means swimming lengths in deep water.
    When I was much younger I nearly drowned and I have been terrified of water since. I think its way past time I tackled this phobia.
    Originally posted by eandjsmum
    The same thing happened to me when I was much younger. Down a waterslide thing, over the top of two adults that were stood one behind the other to catch me, and I went to the bottom. Still as clear as it ever was.

Well done on taking the first step.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    I took swimming lessons at 27 and still swim like a brick, as I panic when I'm out of my depth. For some reason I cannot, for the life of me, float and can still only do the breaststroke, badly.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Jan 18, 1:15 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I took swimming lessons at 27 and still swim like a brick, as I panic when I'm out of my depth. For some reason I cannot, for the life of me, float and can still only do the breaststroke, badly.
    When I was about 10, my dad used to take the whole family fishing - mum, me, younger brother 8 & sister 4. This particular day dad was in the woods (comfort break) when my sister either fell in the river or saw something & jumped in (details a bit hazy as nearly 50 years ago!). However what is not hazy is that all any of us could do was scream for dad as not one of us could swim. He came charging out of the woods, dived in & rescued my baby sis. Fortunately she thought it was a game and was none the worse for wear! Dad was our hero.!
    Anyway the upshot was mum bought me a monthly pass to the local Baths but couldn’t afford to pay for an instructor so I copied what the other kids were being taught by an instructor (no flies on me) I became quite a good swimmer - represented school & club but was too lazy to train hard enough to get any further!
    Also learnt to life save but thankfully the situation never arose to use the skills learnt. Now with the extra weight I am carrying I am so buoyant that it is quite difficult to swim! however I can float for hours! My mother learnt to swim in her late 50’s & DB & DSis both learnt at school.
    My DH can just about swim, but like you he swims like a brick - he has absolutely no buoyancy!

The thing is as long as you can swim, however badly, you are still better off than a non swimmer!

Sorry to have blathered on!

Mrs SD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,038Posts Today

7,589Users online

Martin's Twitter