IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

How to respond to Parking Eye Without Prejudice Save As To Costs letter

Options

Comments

• nosferatu1001
    Options
    As said on pepipoo, conti nue with drop hands
    I reckon they will discontinue shortly. They lose money even if they win, and without their principal wanting this to continue theyre on even shakier ground.
  • iaing1000
    Options
    OK, can I go with this...

[FONT=&quot]Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent letter.

I do not intend to pay you any money because I maintain that this claim has no basis and that there is no debt. Moreover, since you are now in receipt of further information as you indicate in your letter, I believe you too recognise how futile your position is. Further to this, I have had subsequent correspondence with the Principal and have sought additional legal advice.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The hotel has confirmed in writing that they have requested the charge be cancelled. Parking Eye replied to the hotel that they cannot cancel as the matter is now subject to court proceedings. Parking Eye know this to be untrue and I reserve the right to bring this to the attention of the court. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Specifically, there is no court rule whatsoever that says once proceedings are issued you have to proceed. It is Parking Eye’s problem that they've incurred court fees. Had Parking Eye complied properly with the pre-action obligations set out in the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct, in particular paras 3, 6(a) and 6(c) then I would have been able, at that stage, to respond and to demonstrate the particular circumstances as indicated in my defence and Parking Eye would have had the choice, back then, not to proceed. I should not be penalised for Parking Eye’s failings and their over-hasty issuing of a claim.

Therefore, be advised that should you continue to pursue this, I shall seek to claim the costs of my defence and additional costs for unreasonable conduct pursuant to CPR Part 27.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    In light of the above, along with the other points raised in my defence, this claim has no realistic prospect of success and the claimant is invited to withdraw the claim with no order for costs. This is a "drop hands" offer to settle with each party bearing their own costs. The offer is available for acceptance for a period of 14 days from the date of this letter.

The terms of the offer have value to the claimant insofar as the defendant will not seek his costs of defending the action, where recoverable and will not pursue any additional but related claim(s) in connection with this matter.

Should the case proceed to a court hearing where I am successful, this clear transgression from the British Parking Association’s Code or Practice will be reported to the DVLA with a request that your client is suspended from further access to the registered keeper database.

I look forward to your reply[/FONT]
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your recent letter.
    I would not be thanking Parking Eye for anything.
    Maybe replace that with:
    I am in receipt of your letter dated dd mmm 2017.

...a request that your client is suspended from further access to the registered keeper database.
    As you appear to be writing directly to PE, perhaps that should say:
    ...a request that Parking Eye be suspended from further access to the registered keeper database.
  • iaing1000
    Options
    One final thing before I fire this off, will my assertion that they should have contacted me prior to being so hasty to claim (pre-action?) be affected by the fact that I'd ignored the 4 previous letters? Or is it irrelevant that I ignored those if they still didn't seek to clarify my particualr circumstances and whether I was/wasn't a patron of the hotel before going straight to the County Court?

Thanks again
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's reasonable to suggest the Hotel and PE should have a model that doesn't put the onus on the consumer, with an expensive and onerous 'penalty' outcome if that consumer fails to do something they are not even aware of.

Send it to enforcement@parkingeye.co.uk

and keep going, keep pressing them.

On pepipoo I post as SchoolRunMum and I suggested you need to have an assertive go at the Hotel, I wrote a letter last night to suggest this:

Meanwhile, reply to the bright young thing at the Hotel and say something more forceful:

Dear bright young thing,

That's all very interesting but with the greatest respect, why are you not supporting your customer (me) and instead letting the tail wag the dog? ParkingEye are your agent and they answer to the Hotel, not vice versa. Regrettably there appears to have been a lack of due diligence here by the Hotel, in allowing this notorious firm on site (Google them, and I don't mean to read their website).

You should be telling them what to do, not 'asking how they can help us'.

If made public, complaints like this from hounded victims of ParkingEye's abhorrent business model can and will tarnish your good name, and ultimately no doubt when you realise what is happening, as a long term solution I trust the Hotel will end the contract. Short term, I look forward to receiving the Hotel's proposals for you either instructing (not asking) your contractor to cancel this charge, or paying them off if you believe their sorry tale of needing £60 to go away.

yours faithfully,
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • iaing1000
    Options
    Hi SchoolRunMum/Coupon-Mad :-)

Thanks so much for your help, I'll send off the version I've ogt in that case to PE's enforcement team. Should I post by normal mail too?

Will press the hotel more too definitely,

Thanks again
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No, I recommend constant annoying email tennis with PE, no posting to them at all, ever. Just keep pinging emails.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • iaing1000
    Options
    Cool, that's easier for me I suppose.

Have received an email receipt from them so just sit tight for now until their 14 days elapse.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Op, hello again.

Living in this Notspot causes many probs, hence disappearance of strong suggestion/correction posted earlier.

After the event now, but changed 'because I maintain...' to statement of fact: 'because this speculative invoice Is without any basis in Law.'
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• iaing1000
    Options
    OK, I've had a response from PE.

Another without prejudice save as to costs letter but this time asking for a redcued £40! If they carry on like this they'll end up owing me money :-)

In the letter they do say: "We note your comments in relation to the cancellation request from the hotel. However, once the Parking Charge is processed for Legal proceedings, ParkingEye has no obligation to cancel the Parking Charge and this is done only at ParkingEye's discretion, this is a procedure that the hotel is aware of."

They also ask me to refer to the Reply to Defecne letter dated 20th December (which I've not recieved even though this latest letter is dated 21st December and one would expect it to have arrived earlier?) as their position remains the same.

I also received a double sided semi-completed sheet with no covering letter that is titled "Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track)" and which seems to indicate their wish to go to mediation. I'm not clear whether this has come from the court or PE (because it's entirely without context or covering letter), in any case it contains sections caleld A) Settlement/Mediation where section A1 has the 'Yes' box ticked when asking 'Do you agree to this case being referred to the Small Cliams Mediation Service' and B) Your Contact Details (PE's pre-completed on the photocopy which makes me think it's from them) and C) Track and sections for expert evidence (D) and a fee (E).

So, what to do now? I'm assuming going to mediation plays into their hands since bean counters at the court will want to just sort things out quickly and the details won't get the proper airing I'd like.

Do I have to actively agree to also go to the Small Claims Mediation service otherwise it goes the original Coiunty Court route, or instead, if I ignore this does it default to the Small Claims Mediation?

The fact that they're even reducing the costs now suggetss a sign of weakness. Also the mediation is presumably where they thin kthey have the best chance?

Any ideas?

Merry Christmas all ... even PE :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family