Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ndjfb00
    • By ndjfb00 10th Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 3Thanks
    ndjfb00
    Indigo - No 10 digit verification code
    • 10th Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    Indigo - No 10 digit verification code 10th Dec 17 at 7:21 PM
    HI all - Not really sure how I have survived up until now having just discovered this extremely helpful and informative website. I have read the NEWBIES sticky on parking appeals over a couple of evenings and I think I'm ready to make my advance to POPLA having received the obligatory appeal rejection from Indigo (at the end of the maximum time period naturally). However is now standard practice by Indigo to NOT issue the verification code with their appeal rejection? Ah yes rather interesting in my case I'm struggling to find the actual signage image at the station car park that they have included in my rejection letter depicting a rather large scale image of the T's and C's - it simply cannot be found!
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 10th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 18,367 Posts
    • 23,271 Thanks
    Redx
    • 10th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    no chance of ADR any more for INDIGO raliway station tickets

its no longer an option and so no popla code

plenty of info on this recent change in other threads

the trick now is to get past the 6 month statute that means you cannot be taken to the MAGISTRATES court for a bylaws breach
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 7,466 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 10th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    Indigo no longer issue PoPLA codes for station car parks.

There are many threads here explaining this - one (or more) earlier today.

Use the forum's search facility to search for indigo popla, choosing Show Posts, for greater detail.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 28,551 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 10th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    Complain to the DVLA (who seem to be keeping their heads down on this) and ask why you have absolutely no access to any form of independent appeal? So why are they just offloading your personal details to a third party when you are denied any form of alternative dispute resolution. Indigo are therefore just due and jury. Can!!!8217;t be right.

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 10-12-2017 at 9:01 PM.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 58,549 Posts
    • 72,051 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    Search the forum for Indigo railway POPLA and read threads since October, as this has already been said dozens of times.

No POPLA, no payment, no worries, no questions.

Time it out over 6 months like everyone else does.

Certainly complain to your MP & the DVLA about the lack of ADR, that the BPA appear to have just allowed Indigo to remove.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• ndjfb00
    • By ndjfb00 14th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ndjfb00
    • 14th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    Ok thanks all for the replies, I understand the position now between POPLA and Indigo, maybe this smacks of deal done in the golf club.

So I get the idea that I now have to drag this out post 6 months but can I just say the following (despite reading again NEWBIES thread) you guys live and brief this stuff.

Like others I admitted to being the driver in the appeal (I now know this was stupid) I am NOT the keeper of the vehicle on the PCN the car is my sons!, I can't recall if I was required to give my address on the appeal to Indigo (probably). The car is about to be sold, could this cause the new keeper any issues?

Lastly, if I read the NEWBIE threads correctly, the ONLY body that can take me to court is the ToC (my case is on railway land)?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 18,367 Posts
    • 23,271 Thanks
    Redx
    • 14th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    the PPC can only get the KEEPER details once from the DVLA for each parking "violation"

if the NEW keeper commits a parking violation, the PPC will obtain their details from the DVLA

nothing the present keeper has done will affect a future keeper, nor vice versa , if the handowner is done correctly

the TOC can take the driver (or owner) to Magistrates court , so its important to stress the type of court that can be used (in this case the MAGS court, not Civil court) - they have 6 months to do so

bear in mind that sometimes this is the BTP, but we have not heard of any cases where this has happened , so we have no facts to go on , save it does not seem to happen - so far

it was ALWAYS a bylaws issue , never a civil parking issue , hence why there seems to be no popla
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 7,466 Thanks
    KeithP
    Selling the car will cause no problems for the new owner.

The PPC can only request the Registered Keeper's details fro DVLA once. They did that a long time ago.

The car is no longer relevant.

Of course it is important for your son to ensure that keeper details are updated
    with the DVLA promptly when he sells the vehicle.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 28,551 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    The car is about to be sold, could this cause the new keeper any issues?
    None whatsoever. Indigo have only one bite of the cherry in terms of accessing the registered keeper!!!8217;s details per parking charge - and they!!!8217;ve already had that. I!!!8217;m sure you know, but just to add, that by selling the car does not mean the charge is now void - many think that is the case; it is not.

Lastly, if I read the NEWBIE threads correctly, the ONLY body that can take me to court is the ToC (my case is on railway land)?
    That should be the case at the Magistrates Court, as a criminal prosecution under Byelaws. I have never seen any other party doing this on behalf of a TOC.

In terms of indigo potentially going down the contractual route, again, we!!!8217;ve seen nothing as yet appearing at the small claims court - this is relatively new stuff, and no one knows what is going on behind closed doors. The removal of POPLA from the equation came as quite a surprise to most of us.

This is uncharted territory and an unregulated parking company, we rule nothing out, but for the moment it looks too complicated for Indigo to chance their arm, but never say never.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • ndjfb00
    • By ndjfb00 11th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ndjfb00
    Ok guys things have moved on a little, this morning I received a letter from ZZPS Ltd debt recovery company. They require a total of 170 (70 of which is admin). Is it beyond the bounds of possibly that I could appear on TV ''Can't Pay We'll Take It Away''?? They say they will continue to pursue this matter in the absence of any contact from myself. In all seriousness I'm still very aggrieved that I haven't had chance to appeal outside of Indigo. Do you still suggest I stay put on this? PCN was issued on 22nd Nov 2017 so I'm a fair way off the 6months window.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 28,551 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Is it beyond the bounds of possibly that I could appear on TV ''Can't Pay We'll Take It Away''??
    Totally! They are dealing with claims in excess of 600, and usually well in excess.

ZZPS are debt collectors - follow the advice in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #4.

What did David Dunford of the DVLA say when you emailed him about this?

• ndjfb00
    • By ndjfb00 11th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ndjfb00
    Thanks for the fast response, ironically I was reading through #4 as you sent the reply, are we sure all is still relevant on that post @ 4 years old? I've read elsewhere that ZZPS and others are pretty much 'distant' recovery agents and rarely make house calls for PCN's (a shame) I guess if we get to county court status (and I lose) it's only then the bailiffs can attend my property and then I may get on TV.

ps - nil response from Mr Dunford
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 7,466 Thanks
    KeithP
    Thanks for the fast response, ironically I was reading through #4 as you sent the reply, are we sure all is still relevant on that post @ 4 years old?
    Originally posted by ndjfb00
    Post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ thread was...
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 21-09-2017 at 9:49 PM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 28,551 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I guess if we get to county court status (and I lose and fail or refuse to pay the amount directed by the judge by his deadline) it's only then the bailiffs can attend my property and then I may get on TV.
    You seem to have missed the important point. And bailiffs can!!!8217;t just rock up like that - they need an enforcement order. Forget it!

You!!!8217;ll be asking next whether they can affect your credit score!

• peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 11th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 26,118 Posts
    • 35,098 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    On the off chance that it does proceed make sure you have all info together complete with photographs showing there is no signage. Every little helps.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Handbags-at-dawn
    • By Handbags-at-dawn 11th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Handbags-at-dawn
    Don't forget, only the Magistrates' Court can impose a penalty for parking in breach of the Byelaws. You are under no obligation whatsoever to pay Indigo's home-made version.

The ZZPS letter usually says something along the lines of "the penalty .....is an offer to allow you an opportunity to avoid a criminal prosecution". This confirms that the choice is yours: you don't have to pay it.

But then the letter confuses the whole thing by adding: "you are legally liable for this penalty even if you were not the driver at the time". That is a lie: you can't be because a) they don't have the power to impose a penalty; and b) no one is legally obliged to accept an offer.

Sometimes they say you're legally liable for the offence rather than the penalty. That's a lie too. Only the "person in charge" (ie the driver) can commit, and be prosecuted for, the offence of parking in breach of the Byelaws.

It's interesting what you say about the signage, I was at Haywards Heath station multi-storey (managed by Indigo) the other day. There were plenty of clamping signs dotted about but I couldn't find a Ts and Cs sign anywhere . I eventually found one outside, hidden behind the taxi rank. Apart from the fact the driver cannot be bound by Byelaw/contractual Ts and Cs which are not reasonably brought to his attention, this is quite a serious breach of the BPA code of conduct.
    Last edited by Handbags-at-dawn; 11-01-2018 at 2:34 PM.
    • ndjfb00
    • By ndjfb00 26th Jan 18, 3:09 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ndjfb00
    Received the latest letter received from ZZPS. Wow only 36.00 extra now that their 'law' firm QDR are being made aware, more the merrier, it's almost getting laughable and I'm now getting really intrigued where this will all end up. Looking quickly on the net QDR seem to have a good few dirty tricks themselves. Their client is entitled to commence a 'private criminal prosecution' against my breach of Railway Bylaw 14. The could result in me being fined up to 1000.00 (level 3 on the standard scale) as set out in Sec 37 of the Criminal Justice Act 1982 - Members - when did this turn into a Criminal Act?? all I did was park in an unmarked bay!
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 26th Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Their client is entitled to commence a 'private criminal prosecution' against my breach of Railway Bylaw 14. The could result in me being fined up to 1000.00 (level 3 on the standard scale) as set out in Sec 37 of the Criminal Justice Act 1982

write back , inviting them to do this or $%^ off
    • waamo
    • By waamo 26th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 4,553 Thanks
    waamo
    It!!!8217;s a byelaws offence so would be tried in a magistrates court. The maximum fine is indeed 1k.

The thing is all of that would go to the government as it is a proper fine. That means no ccj to damage the credit file and as a byelaws offence wouldn!!!8217;t really affect you in any way.

The train operating company would have to bring the prosecution as it is one of !!!8220;their!!!8221; offences. That means paying for a day in court then all the loot going to the government. What a great business model that would be.

Which is more likely, they keep sending threatening letters in the hope of getting cash or they shell out to take you to court knowing they get nothing?

To cap things off they only have 6 months from the date of the henious crime to start proceedings. After that it!!!8217;s dead in the water. Scary letters have no time limit though.
    This space for hire.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 26th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,308 Thanks
    pappa golf
    what offence was the original ticket issued for?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

1,884Users online

Martin's Twitter