Buying shares question from novice investor

Options
I am a new investor who has never bought shares before so apologies in advance if these questions sound very basic.

I did a little bit of research into the whole process but am confused by the fees/taxes etc and want to make sure my understanding is correct before I dive in.

I understand that there is a choice of different platforms and they all have different charges depending on how many deals are made each month. If I was to open, for example, a Hargreaves Lansdown share dealing account, it says on their website that they charge £11.95 for 0-9 deals per months which is about my expected level. What I don't understand is whether this is a one off charge, for example, if I open an account in December and make 3 deals, am I charged a one off charge of £11.95 or is it £11.95 per deal? Also, if I don't make any new deals the following month, do I still have to pay £11.95 (since it says 0-9 deals) or am I only charged for months where I make deals? It says on their website that there is no annual charge for management of a sharedealing account but do I have to pay a monthly or yearly fee to hold my shares on their platform?

I also understand I have to pay Stamp Duty which is paid automatically when I buy shares at 0.5%.

Are there any other fees, charges or taxes that I would pay for buying and holding shares (for example if I buy 3 lots of different shares and hold them for 18 months, what costs would I incur ?).

I have used Hargreaves Lansdown as an example, I know they are not the cheapest but what do people recommend? I understand they are often recommended because there is a lot of information on their platform for investors.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you are a novice investor I'd suggest you avoid individual company shares as this is a very high risk strategy for you. I would imagine that most long term investors manage without buying any individual shares at all. You will be better served with unit trusts and similar collective investments
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The £11.95 is for each transaction (buy/sell).
    There is also a £1 levy if you buy £10,000 or more of shares in one transaction.

There is usually a platform fee, either a percentage or fixed number of pounds per month/quarter/year.
    See SnowMan's spreadsheet for personalisable information. Also Monevator and other sites.

Unless held in an ISA, dividends are taxable in the year they are paid, even if automatically invested in an accumulation fund. First £2000 (£5000 this year) at zero%.
    Unless held in an ISA, capital gains are taxed when you sell the asset. First £11300 each year at zero %. This does not carry forward.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    The £11.95 will be per deal. If you are a heavy user and have more than 9 deals/month they will lower the charge.

There is just stamp duty when you buy shares, no other buy/sell charges.

The charge for holding shares will vary depending on the platform. It will generally be calculated as a % of total value of shares. I believe H_L charge share holdings at 0.45%/year capped at £45. Other people may simply charge on the total portfolio with no cap.

Buying/selling and holding shares may be charged differently to buying/selling and holding funds. Different platforms do things differently.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2017 at 6:05PM
    Options
    I am a new investor who has never bought shares before so apologies in advance if these questions sound very basic.

I did a little bit of research into the whole process but am confused by the fees/taxes etc and want to make sure my understanding is correct before I dive in.
    Can I ask why you have decided to dive in to buying shares?

Do you already hold any investments in funds?
    I assume because you are not confident in platform/charges that you probably do not have an investment (S&S) ISA?
    What sort of money are you talking about ?
    Re above, this may indicate whether an ISA platform is really necessary (certainly as you start out).
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • novice_investor
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Can I ask why you have decided to dive in to buying shares?

Do you already hold any investments in funds?
    I assume because you are not confident in platform charges that you probably do not have an investment (S&S) ISA?
    What sort of money are you talking about ?
    Re above, this may indicate whether an ISA platform is really necessary (certainly as you start out).

I probably shouldn't have worded it that way. I already use a Financial Advisor and have a stocks and shares ISA which I invest in every year, however, I want to buy some individual shares in a few different companies, less than £1k altogether and just thought it might be cheaper and quicker to do it myself rather than pay my FA to do it.
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    I probably shouldn't have worded it that way. I already use a Financial Advisor and have a stocks and shares ISA which I invest in every year, however, I want to buy some individual shares in a few different companies, less than £1k altogether and just thought it might be cheaper and quicker to do it myself rather than pay my FA to do it.
    Ok.

A large number of posters will, rightly, advise you to be very careful regarding individual company shares as the risks of a failure are so much higher.

Having said that if you are comfortable to progress then that is your choice (one I don't have an issue with).

Firstly, a single investment of £1k is going to make the proportion of charges relatively high; also considering there will be a bid/offer spread, and stamp duty (not all shares have stamp duty associate with them but, that is another story).

A low cost dealer, such as iWeb (£5 per transaction) might fit the bill. iWeb do have an account opening fee £25. There are other low cost brokers.

Depending on your financial set up, currently, and how much you may end up investing stocks directly you may want to consider opening an ISA account rather than a general investment account (GIA) / dealing account.

I would echo the positive sentiment towards Snowman's spreadsheet, it is excellent for understanding the impact of charges against your own profile, i.e. number of transactions / holdings etc. Download it and have a play.

• novice_investor
    Options
    Ok.

A large number of posters will, rightly, advise you to be very careful regarding individual company shares as the risks of a failure are so much higher.

Having said that if you are comfortable to progress then that is your choice (one I don't have an issue with).

Firstly, a single investment of £1k is going to make the proportion of charges relatively high; also considering there will be a bid/offer spread, and stamp duty (not all shares have stamp duty associate with them but, that is another story).

A low cost dealer, such as iWeb (£5 per transaction) might fit the bill. iWeb do have an account opening fee £25. There are other low cost brokers.

Depending on your financial set up, currently, and how much you may end up investing stocks directly you may want to consider opening an ISA account rather than a general investment account (GIA) / dealing account.

I would echo the positive sentiment towards Snowman's spreadsheet, it is excellent for understanding the impact of charges against your own profile, i.e. number of transactions / holdings etc. Download it and have a play.

Thanks for your reply. My ISA is maxed out at the moment as I put the maximum in every year, so I will have to use a GIA for these. I would gladly invest in a Fund if there was one that covered the disparate individual shares that I am interested in but they are across different sectors so not easy to find. Will take a look at Snowman's spreadsheet.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if you just want to have a 'play' with a small amount of money then x-o is £5.95 per trade with no platform fee.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. My ISA is maxed out at the moment as I put the maximum in every year, so I will have to use a GIA for these. I would gladly invest in a Fund if there was one that covered the disparate individual shares that I am interested in but they are across different sectors so not easy to find. Will take a look at Snowman's spreadsheet.
    What type of stocks are you interested in? Perhaps we may be able to help. There are also ITs and ETFs to consider (although there can be different risk scales associated with these).

• novice_investor
    Options
    What type of stocks are you interested in? Perhaps we may be able to help. There are also ITs and ETFs to consider (although there can be different risk scales associated with these).

That would be helpful as I'd actually prefer to invest in a fund if possible. I will compile a list of companies and get back to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure