Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 4th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 496Posts
    • 1,607Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. 4th Dec 17 at 9:37 AM
    So, I can't believe that I haven't updated my diary since the end of march. So much has happened in that time I feel a fresh new one is better. Here is the link to my previous one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585379

So what has happened. Well my husband FINALLY got a job! He was made redundant in April 2016 and started a new role in June 2017. In that time I was holding down two part time jobs so that we could pay the mortgage and bills and in that time I also made a bit of a dent in the debt we owed. The role he got was originally a six month contract through an agency so we were obviously concerned for the future, but within a month he was invited to apply for a full time position and got it. So since the end of September he has been back in a permanent role, and we have no concern that he won't pass his probationary period which is up just after Xmas. The job is also with a very good company, and he gets a discount card for two shops so that is great too. The only downside is that he has to take two trains to get there which is about £300 a month and he is only on what he was on in his previous job, but due to our finances being in much better shape now it is doable.

I started YNAB in Oct 16 and have used it very carefully for the past year. I adore it and plan to keep it forever

So what has been happening to the debt. Last time I was here I had cleared our big loan due to wanting to avoid having too much in savings because of a massive mistake by the job centre with my husband's JSA claim. He signed off the week after the interview we had with them and I was planning to xfer the child benefit to his name for his NI to be paid but then he landed the job. We have heard nothing from them at all. I still think they may try to claw back the money that we received that we shouldn't have and of course if that happens we will dispute it as we didn't lie or omit anything, it was a massive error in their part, but we will pay money back if we have to. But nothing, not a word at all

I had managed to get the debt down from 22k to 17k with aggressive debt payments but in may I received a decent sized inheritance from a family member. Enough to buy a new (to us) car (mine finally died in early September at 17yrs old) clear 10k of debt and do some of the much needed home improvements. The reason I didn't clear all the debts was that we would have been left with nothing at all for the home improvements (and I was bored of having half a kitchen and no bath) and our back fence fell down in July so we have had a lovely new back fence out up, and am getting the back garden landscaped, had a new bathroom put in, finished the kitchen (apart from tiling, need to save for this) plastered the rest of the house, and had some new carpets out in. The relative that left the money was huge on owning your own property and I felt I needed to use some of the money to add value to the house. There is still stuff to do and I am saving for that now.

So our debt stands at about 8k total. One loan and one interest free credit card. My go going forward is to not add to that and clear the credit card within the time limit.

This coming year we are planning two big holidays so everything spare is going towards that, I need £3500 by the end of march, I have £1000 towards that already but debt busting will be taking a bit of a backseat while I get all this money together.

Personally, I have quit one of my jobs. Once we knew my husband was employed full time by the company we looked at the finances and due to some quite serious issues our smallest child is having ongoing at school, we decided it was important that I was home more in the evening. Also the company that took us over a year ago are a shocking company to work for so the decision was an easy one to make and I quit my evening job. I miss it so much, it was a job I adored and I loved most of the people I worked with. But it was right for us as a family. So now I am self employed school hours, mon-fri, which is hard work. I get no time to myself and feel I am constantly playing catch up at home, but it needed to be done. The smallest boy did improve quite a bit after I finished work, but this past week has had a huge backslide again

Anyway enough about me now, I am off to catch up on the diaries I used to follow to see what everyone has been up to. So pleased to be back
Page 6
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 11th Jun 18, 11:05 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So much for posting more!!!

So what has been happening. Well, I have just received 4.5k ppi refund so 3k on the loan and the rest divvied out between savings. I am hopefully having the back garden turfed this month and new flooring in conservatory and lounge. The conservatory blinds came, they are awesome and along with painting the wall and putting up a new unit in there, the conservatory is getting to a place where we will actually begin to use it as a room rather than a dumping ground

Our Scotland trip is getting closer. Husband decided he would book the week off but not come with us. But the boy is staying home with him, which means I cna leave the day before and stay overnight in Glasgow. And have time the next day to go on a boat trip around Loch lomond. Also going to hire a car so I don't have to take out big car up, so hire car, premier inn and boat trip booked. Friend has asked if the girl wants to go whale watching when we are there, would be to much for the little two and is quite expensive, but my friend said she was going to take her kids and will take my daughter. There is a shorter boat trip so may book that for me and the small ones. Am getting quite excited by it all now!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 16th Jun 18, 12:33 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Just been to get some quotes for flooring. Definitely getting the conservatory done, have an appointment for them to check if it needs screening as we are having vinyl. Got a quote for front room, but dh really cannot be bothered to try to clear the room. It's big too, nearly 7mts long, and we are limited on where to put the stuff! But I will prevail it just may be after the summer. The gardener should be turfing before the end of July, I have the money for that. The flooring will be going onto a 0% card with a standing order set to clear it by next August as our mortgage deal ends in September and I want to be in the nest financial health for a remortgage.

I have a healthy amount in my work buffer, so have planned my time off in August. I also have all the money set aside for scotland, and a bit for other summer trips that will be added too in July and August. All over payments are now suspended until September.

We went on our legoland trip, and there was 20% off everything while we were there so £260 later however this included my oldest sons birthday present and a set dh has wanted for ages but would never buy, and after the ppi payout........

I got some tickets for West end shows through kids week, so me and the girl are off to see 42nd Street and dh will be taking the boy to a play when we are in scotland. Lots of complaints about the ticket prices through it, but they always put the highest tickets up, I made sure I found out the prices from the official sites the day before and knew what I was willing to pay. We are in one of the circles, but have never had a bad seat through them so should be fine.

An expense not budgeted for is my daughters new school uniform. I am actually a bit annoyed as she is going into Yr 10 and we bought new stuff last year to last her three years, but the new head is changing the uniforms and now I need to find over £50 for a blazer, new jumper and shirts. Annoying when her current uniform would have seen her put of secondary
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 18th Jun 18, 9:58 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Another week, another stress from the smallest. He is really struggling with school, so much so that last week I was in tears over it all. I am almost at the point of jacking in my job so I can home school him. But financially that would be a bit of a disaster. The school are being amazing and really trying to help him, but I am honestly so worried about the affect it is having on him.

Not a no spend day today, needed a monkey costume for the smallest drama performance next month, £8 on amazon for a brown t shirt and monkey ears and tail. Still better than buying a full costume though.

End of year expenses are adding up too, trips, etc. And the girl has signed up to do D of E which has a £30 sign up fee.

The dance show is looming too, tickets all purchased and all costumes paid for, so at least that expense is out of the way for another couple of years.

Anyway need to crack on with work, hopefully no more money spending today.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 19th Jun 18, 7:47 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Nsd today, Tuesdays are my weak time fpr food while working as it ithe on day I hanve time and am near enough to a shop to grab a sandwich. I was strong:J I need to get onto the scales tomorrow morning.

As part of my trying to stop goig to the supermarket all me I have sorted out my milk delivery. Have always had milk and bread delivered, but the small two eat so many apples. So now I am having apples delivered three times a week, and a large fruit box once a fortnight. Today was the first box, the grapes weren't great, but the oranges were lush it's a significant increase in my milk bill, but should be offset by not traipsing to the supermarket every iher day for bloody apples

Today I had a long long meeting with the school and the behaviour unit re the smallest. He had a mixed day today, but after last week I am counting it as a win. The meeting was already planned, but there was so much to discuss so it overran meaning that the smallest missed his drama class. Not ideal, but he settled OK in the end.

I am also in the middle of debating a dla claim for him. We receive it for my autistic son, and the smallest has more issues atm. I hate the form it is so depressing, I have been putting it off for four months, I am also going to start the process for actuary geting a formal diagnosis for him. My older sons diagnosis was easy, but we were still under the health visitor at the time, now I have to go via the GP. But he amount of additional help he is needing at school, alongside his behaviour at home means I need to do this now.

But of a depressing post today!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 26th Jun 18, 4:18 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Been a bit spendy this weekend. Managed to pull money from other areas to cover, but not great really. I know it is stress tt is doing it too. Weight loss is not going well either, again stress eating! Will weigh in tomorrow, and then it is four weeks until I go to Scotland, so will be dedicated until then, hope to lose half a stone. However I have the older twos dance to get through, I help backstage and the dress rehearsal is this Sat, so hopefully I can be strong food wise.

I have a man cominover sat to look at the back lawn as my normal gardener has backed out on me. I don't think he wanted to do the turfing. But a bit anoyed as he could have told me this three months ago! So will see what t this one says but he has no free space until August.

Also have someone booked to come and look at boxing in some pipes in the kitchen. Need to do that before I cna get tiling done so will be a start.

The smallest is a bit more settled at school now fingers crossed it lasts until the end of term!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 3rd Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Keep meaning to post and then getting distracted! Things are ticking along, no over payments until September now though.

Had a gardener around at the weekend to quote for turfing and it came in less than I had put aside so all good there. Have someone coming tomorrow to quote for some carpentry work in the kitchen, have a figure in mind (had something similar done in the girls room but with a different company) so will see what they say.

I am struggling with all the end of term spends atm though. The girl has signed up for DofE so having to find funds for that, and school trips have all come at once. Add in the dance show costs and I feel like I am drowning! It's all covered, but I just feel like I am spending out money all the time atm, and knowing I won't be doing any over payments is making me twitchy

Food shopping being delivered tomorrow, and cupboards full from my lidl shop at the weekend, and won't need to buy anything else until I get back from Scotland.

But I still haven't received my tax credit renewal pack. I called last week and it was apparently sent at the beginning of May. So a new one was sent. Yesterday I received the original one that was sent 3rd May! And no way in hell has it been in the post for two months. I have all the figures ready, I did my tax return in May so I would be prepared, have updated online estimated income for 18/19, £50 a month has been docked, but my estimated self employment for 17/18 was 2k less than my tax return so I actually think they owe me money. I have three weeks to receive this new pack, as it cancels the original one the minute I called, such a bloody farce. I got a bit annoyed on the phone, I have the figures, all I have to do is log on and confirm them, add in self employment, but I need a code that is in the pack apparently. First year in 14, I haven't received the pack. I was told I would be allowed an extention as I had called and requested a new one, but I just want them to take my figures!!!

Anyway as long as my payments don't actually stop I may be due a larger payout at some point, and I am coping with the £50 drop, so any extra I may get can go straight on debt it's just annoying having to deal with it.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 16th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Tax credits finally renewed. Wait three weeks for the pack then rang up and got stroppy with them so they did it over the phone. Hoping they owe me money, but won't we sorted until September.

This week I am going to finish the DLA form, need to take it to school to get one of the members it staff to add some bits to it. Never convinced with these things, it will just be a waiting game.

Dance show is over it was fabulous and they have worked so so hard and the boy got an award which was nice. Can relax a bit now.

I have purchased some uniform for next year, annoyingly the girls school have changed theirs, just as she is going into year 10, doing the whole blazer thing, one blazer and one jumper = £60 tee boy needs a new blazer too (different school) as his Yr 7 one is too small now he is coming up po
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 16th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Year 9. Tonight I am going through all of their stuff and the things I have in the top of my wardrobe to see what needs to be bought. I want it all ready by the end of next week, no last minute searching.

Mil came down for the dance show. She bought new trainers for all tee boys and two pairs of school shoes which is a relief. So just two lots of pe shoes and two school shoes to buy.

It just seems like an upward battle atm with spending.

One week three days until we leave for our Scotland trip and I can't wait!
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 16th Jul 18, 6:32 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Good news on mil buying some school shoes. I am hoping my son can last another six months in his school shoes which would help. Then dd2 doesnít need any uniform apart from tights as hers all still fits her. She has also said her school shoes are fine for a while. So itís just shoes for dd3 and then new blazer, skirts and shirts for dd1 if she goes to the grammar school.

I also feel your pain with spending out at the end of term for everything. There always seems to be something to pay for like a school trip or concert or teacher presents. I wonít be making any overpayments once the one I do today until at least the middle of August as I have a huge nursery bill to pay for August. I also hate not overpaying so know exactly how you feel!

And how close is your Scotland trip now? You must be so looking forward to that.
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Emergency fund £257.38/£600
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 18th Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Really am. My mum took the boy into town this afternoon to spend his birthday money and bought him a blazer and pair of trousers which was nice.

The girl is in London this evening watching the Lion King so I have to stay up to collect her at midnight. Tomorrow morning is going to hurt!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 20th Jul 18, 11:46 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Well annoyingly after spending out on pe shoes I found a pair of size 3's in the wardrobe! But then had an email saying the size 3's I had ordered were out of stock so refunded

Last day of school tody and one week until we leave for Scotland. He warned the big two that the coming days are for any homework Guiting bedrooms and souring all uniform reayy for next year. I don't want a last minute rush like normal!!!

Yesterday I overheard some young women discussing some debts and bills etc. I actually approached them and told them about these forums and to look on them for advice. Told them I wish I had known about all this at their age. One of them wrote the Web address in their phone thanked me. No idea if they will look at it but I couldn't not say anything. I was sat right next to them and they were pretty loud, but one of them sounded quite stressed, I did say there were organisations like stepchange who could help. Hope they do look into it.

Anyway back to work now.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 28th Jul 18, 10:30 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Been too long again! Am currently on our Scotland trip. Sat by Loch Lomond in the rain it is basically. Rain tee whole time we are here I think typical after the ridicules of the last week.

Money wise not doing so good. Had to shop for various uniform things this week, all quite expensive, hoping my mum might pay for a couple of items.

I have enough money for this trip, have anotr boat trip booked and paid for, so just need money for food and the local aquarium.

Anyway off to search for a toilet for the smallest now
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 3rd Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Back from our trip. It was amazing. We went to Iona and then on a boat trip. Iona was lovely, but the little two basically had a massive fight te whole time we were then, not the nice spiritual experience I was hoping for but the boat trip was awesome. We went to an island and saw puffins, and saw seals on the way back. But the best bit was seeing two dolphins just mesmerising. And the weird ones face when they crested, worth the sea sickness I endured

Was a cool 13c with quite a bit of rain, although we had a glorious morning at the beach on Sunday. But it was so nice to sleep under a duvet,, and feel chilly, and eventhe rain was nice. So glad I didn't take the tent though, the first night was pretty stormy even in the static caravan! Drove staight home yesterday, took 12 1/2 hours (this included the ferry) got to love a hire car, don't have to think about taking it carefully we had a Nissan Juke, it was horrible looks huge and was tiny inside, liked the reverse camera and that was it. But I like hiring cars as it gives me experience of different driving experiences and at least I know I will never buy a Nissan Juke now

Quiete day today, its 30c here, I am suffering after being cooler for a week..... But in good news I came in on budget.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 3rd Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    And in make news, car has had a full service and aircon re gassed. £170 total, all budgeted for. Now need to save up for brakes and cam belt over the next year. Brakes within 2000miles and 4000miles, cam belt is due at 10years, so next August. I save £50 a month but the first lot of brakes will be Oct time so may need to up to £70 for sep and Oct as only £50 left in car maintenance atm. But this it he first time ever any kind of car work has not been put on a credit card
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 9th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Had a spend day at the weekend, went to a local country park, we don't go often as its pretty expensive to get in, but normally good once we are. Splash park and train rides etc. But it was so so hot. Hubby was struggling and the smallest was horrifically behaved! I made sure we had a day at home relaxing after our trip, but I wanted to spend time together before we were both back at work. In hindsight should have left it tbh.

Back to work this week. Bleugh.

Money wise we are doing OK. Food shopping done, still have £900 for our week off, wondering about booking somewhere to stay, we shall see.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 11th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Went to London with tee girl for our theatre trip. Had a lovely time, a bit cooler and we walked more (usually use the tube a lot but it was too hot) so saw more. Did overspend as went to the Oxford Street primark and picked up some bits for the girl but all needed.

42nd Street was awesome, such fun! Now trying plan some other theatre trips, seems a shame not to go more regularly seeing as we can get into london for £25 adult and child.

Today I have taken the little two to a trampoline park to burn off some energy. Tomorrow we have a bbq to go to, the weather looks horrendous, did the same last year for the same bbq! Either way it will be fun, and free food, can't argue with that!

I got paid, normal loan payment lined up an £50off cc, but going through our commitments I will have around £700 a month going of the loan and £150 off the cc. Hoping to really go for it and get them cleared ASAP so we can start getting the house ready to possibly sell. Needs some work doing to the outside and a bit more cosmetic work done inside. Anthem September next year decision time remortgage or sell? Big decision!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 14th Aug 18, 8:47 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So been looking at our finances for the coming months until 2019. Barring any major emergencies we have nearly 1k to be put towards debt a month getting a buffer in place for my self employment has been key. I will be using around £200 for this month but shouldn't need anymore until Xmas, with around £80 going into it before then.

Anyway if I am really aggressive and go for it we will be debt free by march :J atm I am feeling inspired and I know that can wane
    Starting next Friday when I get tax credits £121 off the credit card, then when I get paid in September round £500 off the loan in addition to the normal payment.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 19th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Been a spend weekend lol! Beginning of our week off as a family. Went cinema yesterday with three of the kids. I got tickets through hubby's work so were discounted, but still around £40 with them and sweets.

Today we went to a steam fair about an hour away. The kids were free and I wanted to go to te museum where it was held anyway, so this meant that we could do it eery cheaply. But omg at the food costs. We will be doing McDonald's and picnics for the rest of the weeks outings!

Planning a trip to a theme park on Tuesday, and may head to Brighton tomorrow. We used to live there an like to go back occasionally.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 31st Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So ha a lovely week off with the family, even if the little two were pretty badly behaved! Went to a steam fair at an open air museum, went o a model village (my husband loves them ) went Chessington (cost quite a bit, but got tickets through husbands work so did save) then went to see in laws in lincs. We had a day trip to Skegness, went to the quarium and the smallest was awful, then went to the area with the rides and actually they were all so well behaved. I was worried, especially after how the small two were at Chessington (was just too big and too many queues for them there) because there were no queues and the rides were much smaller they coped much better.

Back to work this week which has been hard. Gettin up at 6.30am after a week of lie ons has hurt and my waking insomnia is back, keep waking in the middle of the night and struggling to go back to sleep. It will pass in a couple of months but is always hard while it is happening.

Car failed mot on Tuesday. Am having the work done and retest today. £200 whchh is frustrating as nowhave no money for the back brakes and after all the milage I last week they need to be done at the beginning of October at the latest really.

I used money left over after the week of to pay of the credit card. I cleared out my Xmas funds and am planning on replacing them when I get paid in September so have no slack to get any extra from anywhere. I also have a really strict payment schedule to clear the last 6k from the loan by Feb. I will figure it out, boss has a couple of extra jobs for Saturdays in sep, probably around £60 so will put that towards the car.

We were awarded dla for the smallest which is great. However only for 18 months then reapply. Am assuming becasue we don't have a diagnosis as the weird one had dla awarded until he is 16?!but tha
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 31st Aug 18, 8:44 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    But that extra is going to help get debt free sooner, then I will try and save some of it into his isa. So hopefully a lean four months or so then we will around 1k a month free!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,733Posts Today

9,217Users online

Martin's Twitter