Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • besttimes
    • By besttimes 1st Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 57Thanks
    besttimes
    Savings and treats
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    Savings and treats 1st Dec 17 at 8:50 PM
    Hi.

Changes at work mean I have less money coming in now. There's enough for bills and general living, but no money left for saving or for any treats, so I need to bring some extra money in and keep budgeting to bring down costs.

I thought I'd start this diary to keep myself focused and keep a track of my savings.

besttimes
Page 1
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Dec 17, 10:28 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:28 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:28 PM
    Hi besttimes good luck with your budgeting and saving. I suppose it depends on what you class as a "treat" . I enjoy a night in with friends and can get nice food and a bottle of wine for under 5 in aldi. I also use vouchers to eat out and often drink tap water which is usually free. What sort of treats do you enjoy, maybe there is a cheaper way for them to continue ?
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360.83

June grocery budget 72.33 / 320
    Entertainment budget 50
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 13,370 Posts
    • 46,869 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    Hello and welcome besttimes, we have all gone through this too. Welcome to the nut house#!!!

Have you thought of ebaying or gumtreeing things you don't use? taking sandwiches to work or my latest trick, taking in a lodger? it has made such a difference to me.

The only downside is I asked him to look after my chocolate as I can't trust myself with it and he's gone away and I have to wait till he get's back. lol Don't make that mistake.
    Chiistmas Fund 21.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • besttimes
    • By besttimes 13th Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    besttimes
    • 13th Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    • 13th Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    Hi Skint yet Again and Savingwannabe, thanks for for the ideas. I've spent the last couple of weeks reading around the site and getting some more ideas.

I've been christmas shopping. I've done this a bit more mindfully than usual and used some discount vouchers, but I think there's still plenty of room for improvement budget-wise for next year. Now I need to stop buying "just one more thing"

besttimes
    • besttimes
    • By besttimes 2nd Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    besttimes
    • 2nd Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    I'm going to put down here what I want to do this year and I'll try to do something towards them every day.

Lose weight, get fit and healthy, and have a bit of an image makeover.
    Be financially stable, happy and relaxed.
    Move home.
    Be more sociable and have some fun.
    Be more giving and think about others.

Happy new year

besttimes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

7,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Today's twitter poll: Should cannabis be legalised, for medical (via prescription) use, and/or adult's recreational use?

• Follow Martin