PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Certainly does help make things more simple if comments are taken purely and simply at face value only - because that is almost certainly how they are meant.

Person making them is probably more likely to be thinking along lines of "That aspect of my life is sorted or good and so is this one - but still working on getting this aspect right and that right etc etc". A positive comment about one aspect of one's life is more likely to be part of a personal mental checklist of "Correct/sorted/etc parts of life = 5" and "Things that still have something wrong with them in life = 10" and mental note made to see if one can deal with at least one of the "wrong" things in life over current year.

I don't know how many other people think that way - but certainly some people regard their lives as "To be worked on" and will continue regarding them as "To be worked on" until such time as they are absolutely correct (body/money/home/Life). One of the downsides of getting older is that there comes a point where one stops being optimistic that "All will be sorted at some point" and starts worrying whether one's life will ever be completely sorted or has the cynical feeling that you might "raise a glass in celebration of Done It At Last and everything is correct" at some grand old age and won't have the benefit of a life that is fully "done and dusted" until there's only a couple of years of it left to live anyway:cool:

But that doesnt mean to say one doesnt keep trying and thinking "I could tweak the looks and improve them that way" and "tweak the health and improve it this way" and so on. On that note - some tweaking of the garden to be done this afternoon, as I cant afford the hugely expensive garden makeover I'm accummulating ideas for yet (it's on the "goodness knows when" list) - but can maybe make it look just marginally better. Even marginally better is an improvement.:)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Crochet armour added to the 'to do' list. :D;)

I just plod on with as much positivity I can muster and try to help myself as best I can whatever comes my way. Life is tiring though right?

Money I have learned a lot from you these past few months. I know my 'sensitive' post will probably have resonated with you given I have reacted to your posts in the past. I now realise that you were writing about yourself, your point of view and it was my insecurities that took it as a dig. And after all that you helped guide me when I started to ask questions about food and changing my diet. I have learned to calm down, take your comments at face value and I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading how you tweak your life of late.

Right I'm off because I going to turn another thread into fuddle's therapy session! So sorry, just alot going on. X
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    I think personal remarks say more about the speaker than they ever say about the person spoken about.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Tea_Pea_Dee
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Crochet armour added to the 'to do' list. :D;)
    hqdefault.jpg

You might need to adapt it a smidgen :D

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    I learnt the following mantras this year and they have helped me enormously. I just take a deep breath and repeat them as necessary. They give me “thinking time” so instead of a knee jerk reaction I slow down and consider what my response should be or even if a response is appropriate. I think most of the time a response is both unnecessary and can often be counter productive.

1. I don’t have to show up to every argument.

This means that even if someone says something that hurts or wounds me or even just makes my blood boil I just “saunter on by” and don’t allow myself to be provoked.

2. It’s none of my business what people think of me.

This means I now take the view that people either like and approve of me or they don’t. That realistically I cannot change someone’s perception of me. I cannot change their opinion of me so I no longer waste my time and energy on trying.

For me my journey towards a simple life has not just been about clearing physical stuff and clutter but it has also been about creating head space and more space in my heart to love and cherish those who matter to me.

It has meant “decluttering” people from my life who were only causing me pain and heartache. Not as easy as it sounds, but well worth effort in the long run.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    I learnt the following mantras this year and they have helped me enormously. I just take a deep breath and repeat them as necessary. They give me “thinking time” so instead of a knee jerk reaction I slow down and consider what my response should be or even if a response is appropriate. I think most of the time a response is both unnecessary and can often be counter productive.

1. I don’t have to show up to every argument.

This means that even if someone says something that hurts or wounds me or even just makes my blood boil I just “saunter on by” and don’t allow myself to be provoked.

2. It’s none of my business what people think of me.

This means I now take the view that people either like and approve of me or they don’t. That realistically I cannot change someone’s perception of me. I cannot change their opinion of me so I no longer waste my time and energy on trying.

For me my journey towards a simple life has not just been about clearing physical stuff and clutter but it has also been about creating head space and more space in my heart to love and cherish those who matter to me.

It has meant “decluttering” people from my life who were only causing me pain and heartache. Not as easy as it sounds, but well worth effort in the long run.

Thank you ‘lesson learned’ Unfortunately I find it easier said than done when it comes to ignoring people. Sometimes, depending on my mood, I can ignore what I perceive to be a hurtful comment but at other times I massively over react. You would think that after nearly 60 years on the planet, I would have learnt that most people ‘are not out to get me’.

The one thing I am usually successful in, is realising how fortunate I am - I have a lovely husband, we are mortgage free, we have money for luxuries and most importantly both of us are fairly healthy. And now of course, I have access to all you wonderful people who do not let life grind you down!
    My hopes for 2018 are that all of you have success in what you do, that any health problems are alleviated and that happiness & contentment come to you in whatever form you desire.

Seasons greetings to you all.
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mrs Salad Dodger......lovely name.....

I never said it was easy. I’m still a work in progress. :rotfl:

But yes, after the trials and tribulations of 2017 I am looking forward with hope, faith and optimism to a happier and more serene 2018.

I had to “divorce” my sister this year .......one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do. But......she broke my heart so I just said “enough” and walked away. I said goodbye to pain, turmoil and trauma and chose happiness.

I’ve never looked back. I still love her dearly, I have forgiven her but not forgotten, nor will I and I shall continue to keep her at arms length. It’s just better that way.

I wish you too and indeed all who read this thread a happy, simple and peaceful 2018.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    FUDDLE - oh well....the past is the past and "times move on" imo.

LESSONLEARNED - that's the thing about life. You've had it very hard with your sister and I think you took the best decision to "divorce" her and you've made it as "calm" as you can. Sometimes one does have to "divorce" people.

It's a shame and I've had to divorce someone I counted as a friend this year (nothing remotely like in the same category of hurt as you've had I'm well aware....). They did various things that made it extremely clear that they had no concern whatsoever for my welfare and weren't going to listen to me explaining they'd put both myself and my possessions at risk (as they had "repeat offended" at doing so - and so clearly hadnt listened the first time I'd tried to explain). So I just thought "No point in telling them 'what for' about the way they are - it'll go in one ear and out the other. Just quietly/instantly/completely cut contact" and that's what I did. I just didnt see the point in "yelling at them" about what they'd done - and just thought "Off the Christmas card list etc and I won't make any more contact - or respond to any from them (unless it's a genuine apology) and I very much doubt I'll get that. So that's that".
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Money. But you bit the bullet and did what you had to do.

It’s a self preservation thing.......;)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lessonlearned, I gained so much from the thread earlier this year that you posted on. I've found that I can shrug and think it doesn't matter for the first time ever rather than, at best, feeling resentment. I hope that your life is also better for simplifying your relationship
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure