Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 5,133Posts
    • 44,219Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely 4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 22
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Jun 18, 2:47 PM
    • 3,390 Posts
    • 19,040 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Wow KK it's almost moving day ! Movie night sounds fun.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160 1110 1060
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 25th Jun 18, 10:33 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yup I paid a lot of the deposit money over to the solicitor today, with the rest going tomorrow as I'd reached my bank transfer limit! The "savings" are looking pretty depleted but it's a wonderful feeling to have them going out at last for such an exciting reason!!

Still got 5 more reports to write, yawn.
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Jun 18, 9:28 AM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 47,105 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on paying the money! Hope you finished the reports and today is a good day.
    Christmas Fund 41.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 28th Jun 18, 12:13 PM
    • 16,943 Posts
    • 283,096 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Just popping in to wish you all the best for tomorrow as I am sure you wont have time to pop in here!

I hope that everything goes smoothly for you, you keep the kettle and some mugs out so that you can drink tea whenever you need it and that your new home brings you lots of love, luck and happiness
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 28th Jun 18, 5:43 PM
    • 3,390 Posts
    • 19,040 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Also popping in to wish you love and happiness in your new home. Hope the move goes according to plan tomorrow xx
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160 1110 1060
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Jun 18, 5:50 PM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 47,105 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    And me, Happy Moving House.

Hurrah to a new start in a lovely home. May all your wishes come true.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 28th Jun 18, 11:34 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you all so much, you lovely people x

I'll be at school til 3:20, KW's picking up the keys and is going to start schlepping back and forth from his place to OURS

I also had a bit of good news, financially speaking - I'm getting a credit note for 10% of DD's school fees as her bursary has gone up for September. Now, I don't know if that means I'll get cold, hard cash coming to me, or money will be credited to her account, which will mean that if the bursary goes down in future years, I won't have as much to find....but it's "free money" however it happens!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 29th Jun 18, 5:50 PM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 47,105 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for bursary. Hurrah for school finishing early and most of all, hurrah for new housey. I hope it isn't too hot.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 5th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    !!!8230;.and we're in! It's amazing, we are all very happy bunnies The house downstairs looks fantastic, courtesy mainly of KW, who has worked his little socks off unpacking, cleaning and tidying.

We opened our sealed pots and had 313 in them! It's now mainly spent on goodies for the house, oh and a copy of Paddington on DVD for our first movie night tomorrow

I am happier than I thought possible, sitting at my dining table looking out over the quiet street whilst KW is watching TV quietly on the other side of the room, and DD is upstairs getting ready for bed.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 5th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 47,105 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Fantastic news. Well done on the new house and now you are in. There is no place like home as Dorothy said.

I hope you have a glorious Friday and weekend.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Jul 18, 10:22 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Well, we had a fantastic weekend and have spent a lot of time in the pool, unpacking etc etc. We also had our first guests, KW's sister and her family, which was lovely. They really liked our house, naturellement!

Tonight, after going over to my parents for dinner with DD, KW and I have been sitting down setting up accounts and payments for the house - all very grown up!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Jul 18, 11:38 AM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 47,105 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for moving in with minimal stress. You have a pool. Holy cow I am soooo envious. Perfect for this weather.

Has your school broken up already? We have.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Jul 18, 6:53 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The "Olympic sized pool" as I like to refer to it, is a 10" diameter paddling pool It's fantastic, even if it does take up a huge amount of the patio!

Sadly, I still have until next Friday until I get away from the evil ones, but it's getting easier....

Went out with a very select group of people last night for leaving drinks, it was so nice to be able to sit outside in the evening sun and natter.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 47,105 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am still incredibly envious. Wow. Have a good day. I am teaching a class at the Summer School tonight and until then I have ironing and lesson prep to do.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hooray, it's the weekend!!!

Have been up since 7am with KW. We had breakfast together in the garden, and washed up the mountain of dishes that had accumulated - a dishwasher is on our wishlist!

I'm now mooching, cleaning the house, waiting for DD to surface and enjoying the house- and putting off doing some final marking and prep that I want to print out whilst I have 'free' printing

DD and I have been given free tickets to Henley Festival for tomorrow evening, so we're going to probably go out and buy her a new dress so that she looks utterly fabulous (well, even more so!)

So much to do today....guess I'd better stop wasting time online!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Jul 18, 11:31 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Going through some books and trying to sell more - blimey, the companies aren't offering much these days

I'm still putting anything smaller than a 1 coin into a new sealed pot each evening

KW and I want to start savings pots for these house things, in order of need:
    1. Carpet upstairs - ours is rather threadbare. I'm going to get some people round to quote. It might be that we can get this done reasonably soon.
    2. Upgrading shower - it cries rather than showers...but need to check with the HA as to what we're allowed to do
    3. Tumble drier - I'm aware the current lovely weather won't last forever....
    4. Dishwasher
    5. Bigger TV - even with my glasses on, it's getting harder to see, and unsurprisingly, DD and KW are keen on the idea too!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Jul 18, 6:38 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yesterday, I found 1p on the floor - yay; an arm came off my glasses - boo.

Henley Festival was fantastic, we had such a lovely time, especially so, as our tickets were free, the sun was out and we saw John Culshaw and the English National Opera/orchestra sing and play.

Quite a cheap night out - 13 for a halloumi burger and chips, nomnom. DD and KW had a great evening too, by all accounts, which is very nice to know!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jul 18, 7:40 AM
    • 13,641 Posts
    • 47,105 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on finding the 1p, the Festival and on coping with the crying shower

It sounds like you are having a great weekend already. The coming up with lists is a great project and is half the fun. Enjoy the glorious weather.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Phew! Today was tiring - school picnic on the village green with very little shade.....and very tired and not in the mood to do any work when we got back children.

Then we had to stay at school until 6pm to chat to any parents who wanted to discuss their child's report (I had 4 come in, out of a maximum 20); the last one left at 5:58pm!

DD and I hot-footed it to the supermarket to get much needed essentials (bread, ice cream.....aaaaargh, need to start reining in my spending!) and went home to chill in the garden.

So tired tonight, but glad it's a bit cooler, so hopefully we'll all sleep better.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 17th Jul 18, 11:49 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Faced up to what I thought was going to be a horrible meeting this morning, but which ended up being rather good, and all my anxiety about it was for nothing. Phew!

Found 2p for the seaside pot, yay

Apart from that, school was fun, but tiring - I actually taught a bit today again, such a novelty.....Tomorrow is party day for my class, so I've got the Greatest Showman DVD and the lion pinata ready
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,173Posts Today

6,925Users online

Martin's Twitter