Sky HD box asking for PIN

I decided to watch Kill Bill the other night and changed to the channel it was on (can't remember which channel now) just before 9 o'clock and was watching the adverts.

Suddenly a prompt came up asking for the PIN and the channel was no longer watchable.

The thing is all the settings for the PIN are turned off so why does it want a PIN?

Is this a new thing or I've just never watched a channel that needs a PIN for a while?

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I believe it's hard coded into the software to ask for the PIN for any 'adult' rated program shown before the watershed. Not sure whether it's a legal requirement for Sky to do, or if they just do it to appear 'responsible'.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :oMy box behaves similarly even on recorded programmes. I tried to switch off the need for the PIN - but I couldn't find how to do it!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It seems like PIN protection is a bit random, I downloaded a boxset last year and it insisted on the PIN for each episode. It's never asked for it on anything else before or since so I'm guessing it's tied to individual shows somehow.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    From the Sky website:
    When watching a programme or movie, your Sky box will always ask for your PIN:
    • If it has an age rating of 18 and it’s before 9pm.
    • If it has an age rating of 12 or 15 and it’s before 8pm.
    Some older posts on their forum from Sky staff suggest the PIN function is a way for them to show certain programs before the watershed without falling foul of OFCOM rules, but those posts are quite old so don't know if they are still relevant.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Mine started doing that as well, after years of never asking for a PIN it started asking for one.

My solution, change the PIN to 0000 easy to remember.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    r2015 wrote: »
    Mine started doing that as well, after years of never asking for a PIN it started asking for one.

My solution, change the PIN to 0000 easy to remember.

Default PIN if you don't change it is the last four digits of the viewing card number, unless its a replacement card in which case it will be the last four digits of your first card.

Sky are able to show 12 and 15 rated movies before 8pm provided they're secured behind a suitable protection system - the PIN. This has been the case for quite a long time now. You won't find any 18 rated movies transmitted before 9pm, though of course they'll be On Demand and PINned.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Default PIN if you don't change it is the last four digits of the viewing card number,

I know that but it is easier to press 0 four times than press 2641

(Not real PIN just for demonstration purposes only)
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Default PIN if you don't change it is the last four digits of the viewing card number, unless its a replacement card in which case it will be the last four digits of your first card.

Sky are able to show 12 and 15 rated movies before 8pm provided they're secured behind a suitable protection system - the PIN. This has been the case for quite a long time now. You won't find any 18 rated movies transmitted before 9pm, though of course they'll be On Demand and PINned.

But it does appear to be random eg watching episodes of Riviera on Box sets -sometimes asked for PIN - but not always??
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    But it does appear to be random eg watching episodes of Riviera on Box sets -sometimes asked for PIN - but not always??

This behaviour changed it appears in the R015 update:
    when watching a series which requires a PIN, you will now only need to enter the PIN once when you select the first episode to playback and not when starting the next episode using Watch Next. The only exception to this is if the next episode has a higher age rating than the previous episode, in which case you will be required to enter your PIN again.
  • jelliot
    jelliot Posts: 30 Forumite
    You won't find any 18 rated movies transmitted before 9pm,

So why did it ask for a PIN at 8:59pm if the film didn't start until 9:00pm?

Had I changed channel at 9:01pm instead of 8:58pm would it have asked for a PIN?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure