amdega conservatories

Options
Hello, was just wandering if there was anyone out there who had any experience of amdega. I am currently having a conservatory with adjoining wc/utiliy area built. I am using Amdega and their builders have advised that various things like plumbing and electrics for the wc/utility area are not included (we are only halfway through and am worried now as to what else is not included). At the time I signed up with Amdega (in may) I made it clear to the design consultant that I was looking for one company to do everything and I needed one price for this as I was on a tight budget. Amedga have got an electrician who is coming to do the electrics for the conservatory who I will now have to speak to about doing the extra work and pay extra for but I will now have to find some to do the plumbing and again understandably pay for. At the time I signed the contract the design guy went through the contract with me (although stupidly I did not look at it too closely as he said it was all technical info). Having rung the design guy he asknowledged I asked for everything to be included but says that it wasnt and he is not interested in trying to sort it out. I had a few quotes and although
Amdega were not the cheapest or the most expensive I went with them in the end as I thought they would be reputable... again now feel stupid!

any one with a similar experience or advice on how I should deal with it would be appreciated.

Comments

• angleseyman
    Options
    We ordered an Amdega conservatory last year and it is just being fitted. The designer was very helpful and knowledgeable but then he left the company. It has all been a nightmare. The price is astronomical and seems to be spent on wasting money through inefficiency.

All the parts were left outside without proper protection (even though this was arranged) and we have rusty and chipped bits. We find our order was only on a Part Paint basis and it looks as though we are going to end up with something that is green with white spots. Quality is nothing like I expected and the process has been dogged by mistakes. The fitters are only interested in phoning to arrange their next jobs and telling me how well they are doing.

I am dreading them "finishing" because I am supposed to pay the final 10% which, so far, I am disinclined to do.

I would never deal with Amdega again. Sorry.
  • dannolp
    Options
    Just wondering how you got on angleseyman? I know it's from a long time ago, but interested in what sort of arrangement you came to with Amdega.

I've had similar issues - build start delayed several weeks / zero communication from their Head Office, even CEO (embarrassing) / incorrect plans / site rubbish not removed for weeks... The build, despite going well over schedule, has actually been well executed and we're really pleased; it just feels as though we've managed the whole project rather than Amdega.

I'm hoping to withhold some of the final payment due to all the problems and would love to know what compromise they came to with you.

If I was on a flight and was delayed by several hours and had to fly the plane for half the journey I would be p'd off even if the food, movies and legroom were decent, so I don't think we're being unreasonable expecting a discount!
  • trombino
    Options
    I have an 11 year old Amdega conservatory and while it looks beautiful, it has been wrought with problems from the onset. I live in the eastern U.S. and I ordered it from an Amdega dealer nearby. They delivered and installed the conservatory, but because my house was under construction at the same time, I used my own electrician, plumber, etc. I also had a prepared brick knee wall and floor prepared by my builder.

I have had numerous problems from the onset. After the warranty expired, almost all of the double pane windows "popped" and condensation appeared between the glass. The room leaks during heavy rain. The dealer actually said, "They all leak in England and the people there don't care." I laughed. When I called to inquire about having the "popped" panes replaced, the dealer (the same man who sold the conservatory to me) said, "Send me a blueprint and I'll try to see what I can do." Shouldn't he have the print, since he drew it up in the first place?

I can understand that it is a somewhat fragile, handcrafted room, but I would expect better service and support from Amdega.
  • Smiffy74
    Smiffy74 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    trombino wrote: »
    I have an 11 year old Amdega conservatory and while it looks beautiful, it has been wrought with problems from the onset. I live in the eastern U.S. and I ordered it from an Amdega dealer nearby. They delivered and installed the conservatory, but because my house was under construction at the same time, I used my own electrician, plumber, etc. I also had a prepared brick knee wall and floor prepared by my builder.

I have had numerous problems from the onset. After the warranty expired, almost all of the double pane windows "popped" and condensation appeared between the glass. The room leaks during heavy rain. The dealer actually said, "They all leak in England and the people there don't care." I laughed. When I called to inquire about having the "popped" panes replaced, the dealer (the same man who sold the conservatory to me) said, "Send me a blueprint and I'll try to see what I can do." Shouldn't he have the print, since he drew it up in the first place?

I can understand that it is a somewhat fragile, handcrafted room, but I would expect better service and support from Amdega.
    They don't all leak in the UK.... lol that is hilarious from the dealer.... I would be taking legal action against them.... what a joke.... don't they come with a gaurantee?
  • I am sorry to say this but this company are the worst. Since we signed a contract with them at the beginning of the year we have had nothing but problems:

The conservatory is still unfinished.

It leaks through the roof and back guttering when it rains

It was incorreclty measured for the site and so didn't fit

It has failed to pass any Buildings regulations

It was built differently to the plans sent for application

None of the sub-contractors on the job have been paid since October

Look at other reviews on reviewcentre.com, ciao, qype.co.uk or just type in Amdega complaints - there are hundreds of unahppy customers all who have found exactly the same thing. This company charges a fortune for a product and service which do not live up to the hype. It was the worst decision we have ever made to use them.
  • teePee_2
    teePee_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Ihave had a similar and dreadful experience. It has been 9months now and it still is not finished and quality is poor. The builder says that Amdega have not paid him and are going out of business. So they are taking in the up front money from new suckers who are then down for months delay as the cash is used to pay creditors.
    Is. There any way these folk can be warned of this scam??
  • Cadnix
    Cadnix Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    To be honest you have all shocked us and we are presently very worried. W currently subcontract to Amdega, and are quality tradesmen. We are appalled by their bad reputation, which we knew nothing of until now, and are also highly concerned as we are battling to receive payment for work we have done on several of their jobs!! It's not even the full amount as they only allow us to invoice in stages so we've had nothing at all and I'm concerned for the rest!!
    If anyone has any other news we'd welcome it because the previous post has me very worried!!
  • 2Spaniels
    Options
    I'm glad I read everybodies comments before we have moved forward with the Amdega conservatory we have been considering. So thank you.
    Can anybody suggest a solid wood consveratory manufacturor that you can recommned?
    Thanks.
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All spam is reported.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • hereigo_2
    Options
    Have been there and they will just keep employing new builders and not pay existing. After being a reliable hard working and quality trademan also I thought it would count. There were never any issues with my work. I kept being told that I would get paid as I am not making any trouble and those who stand by will be paid. I sat and watched as lots of other builders took out statuory demands and even closing orders to get their money. I have been paid some now via the solictor but only 60% The company will soon go bust and that is word from their paye employees. So please take advice and get out while you can. Sorry and good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure