Dispute With Virgin Media

Hi,

Just want opinions on this. I have TV, Broadband and Phone with Virgin Media. I was in a contract initially for 18 months, this contract has came to an end and I've been told I'm now on a 30 day rolling contract.

I wanted to cancel the phone (don't use it) and the TV (Only watch Freeview) and to keep the broadband.

I asked them to leave the broadband on the 30 day rolling contract and cancel the tv and phone. The reason for this is I have my house on the market and if we sell it I could be moving to an area with no Virgin Media.

They now tell me that if I cancel the TV and Phone, I will need to take a new 12 month contract for the Broadband. I said this can't be right, it's not treating customers fairly. I'm happy to keep the broadband and pay for it on the 30 day rolling contract.

But they're having none of it. I even asked them to show me in the terms and conditions where is says If I remove services I have to then start a new contract on the remaining service.

I can't see anywhere where it says this. I checked Section K of their terms and conditions and can see no legal wording stating I have to take a new 12 month contract just for removing 2 of the 3 services I currently receive. The guy on the phone said he checked to 2 different managers and this is the case, even when I asked him to prove it with the terms and conditions he said this is the case even though there is no wording for it.

The only wording is for adding additional services, I'm not adding an additional service, I already have the service and have completed an 18 month contract.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#agreement

This means they are giving me an ultimatum. Either cancel everything, or keep the broadband I already have and be forced into a new 12 month contract, when I may be moving house (if the house sells)

The best of it is the actually offer broadband only on a 30 day rolling contract on their website. But say they can't give me this.

Regards

Chris

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    You would be starting a new contract with them, for broadband only, the contract you have is for 3 services, a new one is needed for just one
  • glentoran99
    Where is the 30 day broadband only on the site? I can only see 12 month, the 30 day ones are broadband and phone
  • love2learn
    love2learn Posts: 172 Forumite
    You would be starting a new contract with them, for broadband only, the contract you have is for 3 services, a new one is needed for just one

I see no wording in the terms and conditions for that. And it seems unfair that they can put me on a new 12 month contract just for removing services. I haven't taken anything new, I already have the broadband.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#agreement
  • love2learn
    Where is the 30 day broadband only on the site? I can only see 12 month, the 30 day ones are broadband and phone

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

Click the "30 day rolling tab".
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    love2learn wrote: »
    And it seems unfair.......

If that's the way they want to do business then that is up to them. Nothing fair or unfair about it.

On the other hand, you are equally able to say 'no thanks, see you later' and move to a different ISP. You'll probably see a decrease in your speeds, but that's the decision you have to make.
  • glentoran99
    I see no wording in the terms and conditions for that. And it seems unfair that they can put me on a new 12 month contract just for removing services. I haven't taken anything new, I already have the broadband.

doesn't matter what it says though, You are asking for a change and with that change they are asking you to agree new terms,

Leave and sign up for the 30 day broadband offered on their site
  • love2learn
    mije1983 wrote: »
    If that's the way they want to do business then that is up to them. Nothing fair or unfair about it.

On the other hand, you are equally able to say 'no thanks, see you later' and move to a different ISP. You'll probably see a decrease in your speeds, but that's the decision you have to make.

There is no legal terms and conditions to allow them to enforce a 12 month contract on me just for removing two services. I'm waiting on a manager clarifying it with their legal team. If they state the decision stands, I'll use the legal cover in my home insurance to challenge them.

They're at it, and this must be happening to a lot of other customers.

I can't simply say no thanks, as I need broadband, but may be moving house if my house sells so can't sign up for a longer contract either...

Rock and a hard place.
  • love2learn
    doesn't matter what it says though, You are asking for a change and with that change they are asking you to agree new terms,

Leave and sign up for the 30 day broadband offered on their site

Yes it does they formed a contract with me without clearly setting out the terms should I wish to remove part of my services.

They say there is a minimum term where I can't be with them before I can sign up for the 30 day rolling contract too.

So they're leaving me with no choice but to either pay for something I don't need or form a contract that could cost me if I need to move house.

Inflexible, and nothing in the terms and conditions I signed up to stating this could happen.
  • glentoran99
    Yes it does they formed a contract with me without clearly setting out the terms should I wish to remove part of my services.

They say there is a minimum term where I can't be with them before I can sign up for the 30 day rolling contract too.

So they're leaving me with no choice but to either pay for something I don't need or form a contract that could cost me if I need to move house.

Inflexible, and nothing in the terms and conditions I signed up to stating this could happen.

the contract has ended though
  • love2learn
    the contract has ended though

Nope I'm on a 30 day rolling contract for all 3 services according to them. They then want to force a 12 month contract on me for the broadand only if I cancel 2 of the services, despite offering 30 day rolling contracts for broadband only on their website.

It makes no logical sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport