Options
124»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    littleboo wrote: »
    Then cancel all services and re-contract for broadband only on a 30 day rolling contract
    He'd have to leave (and be without services) for several months to be considered a "new" customer
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    He'd have to leave (and be without services) for several months to be considered a "new" customer

My current contract with virgin is for "new customers"

My email address ends in ntlworld.com which should give you an idea how "new" I am
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My current contract with virgin is for "new customers"
    I'm assuming you were able to negotiate this as part of a retention deal? I'm guessing as well that you also accepted a new 12 month minimum term?

Both of these appear to be beyond the scope of the OP.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm assuming you were able to negotiate this as part of a retention deal? I'm guessing as well that you also accepted a new 12 month minimum term?

Both of these appear to be beyond the scope of the OP.

Pretty much, Not actually sure on a new term cant remember it being mentioned, but they can do whatever they want if you are polite with them, If a 30 day contract is available the advisor could activate it if they want, Given the tone of this post though I can see why they just said no
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Given the tone of this post though I can see why they just said no
    My thoughts too. Sounds like the Op went in threatening them with legal action from the off.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 June 2017 at 9:56AM
    Options
    but they can do whatever they want if you are polite with them, If a 30 day contract is available the advisor could activate it if they want

They may have guide lines that they have been told to adhere to.

Most employees are happy to let you find ways round those guide lines, but aren't always allowed to tell you what they are. My gym phoned to say my membership was up for renewal and they have 15% off if you pay up front for the year & told me the date that I would need to pay to avoid paying the sign up fee. When I went to renew it was only 10%, they had received a memo from head office stating that the 15% off was for new members only and wasn't available to existing members.

On being told this I could have kicked up a fuss about them honouring the original quote (which would likely just get the person I was speaking to into trouble), but I asked whether I could get the 15% off if I let my membership lapse & what the signing fee was. It was only £1 for this month only, they couldn't find anything that said that I wouldn't qualify for the 15% & turns out I was the first person to ask.

In this scenario the gym membership ran out and was renewed on the same day, so I wasn't without anything for very long. I had to spend five minutes signing a new contract and getting a new pin for the turnstile. The staff were ecstatic.

I am £1 down from what they originally quoted and I could have tried to negotiate my way out of that, but eventually you have to consider what it's costing you in time and the goodwill of the person you are trying to get to help you.

I got a really good offer from Virgin once, but I said I'd think about it. I never got close to that offer again and then packed them in for cheap broadband and no tv license (until iplayer needed a licence).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure