Passengers less likely to be able to claim for bird strike flight delays

Passengers may not be able to claim compensation for a flight delay caused by a plane hitting a bird, after a European court ruled in favour of the airlines.:
'Passengers less likely to be able to claim for bird strike flight delays after EU ruling'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    But aren't bird strikes "inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier"?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    richardw wrote: »
    But aren't bird strikes "inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier"?

They may well be but this is what European Court said....(my bold)

In the present case, a collision between an aircraft and a bird, as well as any damage caused by that collision, since they are not intrinsically linked to the operating system of the aircraft, are not by their nature or origin inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and are outside its actual control. Accordingly, that collision must be classified as ‘extraordinary circumstances’ within the meaning of Article 5(3) of Regulation No 261/2004.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    richardw wrote: »

I've often thought the prospect of challenging weather was inherent in the operation of an airline, so never understood why weather was exempted - except it would have been manifestly unfair to do so. There is a bit of a flaw in the Wallentin test, to be honest, even if my sympathy for the airlines is limited.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2017 at 6:22AM
    With regard to weather, if all the planes are 1 hour late and your flight is 4 hours late, is it still just 'weather'?
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    I've just had an email saying that my claim can no longer be pursued after this ruling :( It had been on hold for ages. Shame, the £600 would have been lovely but there we go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure