Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,712Posts
    • 9,450Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 71
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 18,493 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hello stranger

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Good evening m'lady

Still working on installing software to the lappy, nearly done though, then bedtime for me n the dug
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Apr 18, 11:59 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    ...and that's it completed

Away to my bed... and the dug has kept my spot warm for me so now I need to shift her over with the offer of a couple of gravy bone biccies

Good night, good people
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Apr 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Afternoon Folks

Busy wee Sunday, cleaning blitz is underway. The choons are on and I am just having a cuppa and a wee breather before tackling the kitchen, which thankfully is the last room on the list.

Very happy with the successful resurrection of the laptop yesterday, even if it took me most of the day.
    Picked it up on fleabay for under £50, decent spec for a back up I thought and worth the risk as the seller had clearly stated what the issue was. So, I have a lappy that has almost three times it's original storage capacity and has all the business software I need for about a quarter of the cost of a new one so very MSE

Once I've completed the cleaning blitz me n the pup are away for a wander in the fresh air.
    Have a grand Sunday folks
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 8th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,360 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hi I hope you don't mind me posting on your diary. I have skim read parts ( as i'm secretly a little lazy )

A big to you, you are so positive and have really turned your life around and seem happy - all credit to you

Loving the news of the pup

Thank you for the motivation to me for well just being a better person

Have a great Sunday.

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi I hope you don't mind me posting on your diary. I have skim read parts ( as i'm secretly a little lazy )

A big to you, you are so positive and have really turned your life around and seem happy - all credit to you

Loving the news of the pup

Thank you for the motivation to me for well just being a better person

Have a great Sunday.

Sam x
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Thanks Sam

You're welcome to post here anytime and if I can help you out with any info or advice, just ask
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 58,912 Posts
    • 244,539 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you & the pup had a good day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 44,815 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Fab news on the bargain laptop, good job you're techie
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 £21.63
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks

beanielou The pup and I had a great few hours in the hills this afternoon.
    We're now getting ready to settle down to watch a few more episodes of Babylon 5 before bedtime.

Sun Addict I am glad that my techie skills were good enough to fix and improve the laptop as it is going to come in very handy for work.

Hope everyone has had a good Sunday
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 8th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 18,493 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Oh might pick at your techie side when you're free. Glad you got it all sorted and found a bargain too.

The weather was much brighter today here hope it was there too
    x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 8th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    WannabeFree you can pick what's left of my brains anytime

Weather here has been not too bad, was nice when me and furrybum were out.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 11th Apr 18, 11:28 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,360 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hi

Hope all is good.

Hows the Laptop working out? good I hope.

I am focusing again on the savings from end April which will be hard but I do like a challenge.

Must be amazing to have the pup?

No news my end from the South

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 12th Apr 18, 7:54 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks!

Been yet another busy week thus far...

The laptop is great, new hard-drive fitted, OS re-installed, all required software loaded. Will be increasing / upgrading the onboard RAM to maximum supported when I can to ensure it is operating as fast as possible. May even look into upgrading the CPU if it is worthwhile...
    So far tho' it is doing everything I need it to do for work, so I'm happy with that

Having a dog is great Great company and she loves the great outdoors too, helps keep me fit lol

I am also starting off on a fresh savings plan at end of month... basically whatever I have left over goes straight into savings. I do have budgeted amounts to go to a few savings pots, however I have been guilty of not moving the month's end surplus into savings, so that needs to change.

Well, rest of team are piling in to the department now... need to get the head down and get on
    Got my Coffee and here we go!

Catch you all later. Hope everyone has a great day
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

TFI Friday!

Been a helluva busy week. Bring on the weekend.

R.I.P. T.P.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 12,826 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Happy Friday US, hope you have a productive day.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Been mad busy again so far this week

Have day off tomorrow though, had a holiday left over from last years' allowance so it was use it or lose it

Hope everyone doing ok
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 7,501 Posts
    • 9,803 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Phew - read it all.

Great news on the new fur baby. Love my cat but hoping for a dog sooner rather than later
    Well done on the lappy resurrection!
    Hope all was well with the missing friend.

Will hopefully be around a bit more now work has settled back to a normal rhythm as I just love the positive can-do vibes that beam out of your post.
    Tesco CC 020718: £3502.86/240918: £3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys 2018 cashed £14.84/cleared £21.45/pending £0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    2018 challenges: 50ps challenge:£19.00 5ps challenge: £4.10
    SPC 2019 #073

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Phew - read it all.

Great news on the new fur baby. Love my cat but hoping for a dog sooner rather than later
    Well done on the lappy resurrection!
    Hope all was well with the missing friend.

Will hopefully be around a bit more now work has settled back to a normal rhythm as I just love the positive can-do vibes that beam out of your post.
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    Thanks Lucifa73

Missing friend is a fellow forumite that hasn't posted in a while and myself and others are concerned and hoping that they are just busy with RL things and are ok and will return soon...

The wee hairy yin is currently curled in her basket having taken the huff with me because I had to give her yet another shower after her mad ersed escapades on our walk ower the braes. There was more mud on her than a John Deere!
    She now smells MUCH better and is clean with a nice shiny coat... until next time...

When you are ready to look for a dog, please think to adopt. My wee staffie girl is an adopted rescue

Heading off to bed with a book now
    Goodnight, good people
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 18th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 7,501 Posts
    • 9,803 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Judging by your signature line and some comments through the diary you have good taste in reading material - what you into at the moment? I'm looking for some good recommendations!
    Tesco CC 020718: £3502.86/240918: £3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys 2018 cashed £14.84/cleared £21.45/pending £0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    2018 challenges: 50ps challenge:£19.00 5ps challenge: £4.10
    SPC 2019 #073

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 18th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Lucifa73,

At the moment I am re-reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, I highly recommend anything by Gaiman if you're not already familiar with him. I got into his work years ago via the Sandman comic series, excellent stuff...

Another recommendation is our own and unfortunately late Iain Banks or Iain M Banks. His mainstream works are great reading, The Crow Road, The Wasp Factory, Espedair Street etc and his Sci-Fi, Feersum Endjinn, Consider Phlebas, Use of Weapons etc is excellent stuff too. A great writer and a lovely fella too, his signing sessions were legendary...

Another good read are Tad William's books... The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, The Dragonbone Chair etc and his Otherland series are fantastic.

Also, Jasper Fforde and his Thursday Next series, very weird, very funny and very highly recommended...

Hope that's enough to keep ye busy for a wee while
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

1,488Users online

Martin's Twitter