Tripadvisor

Options
Briefly, I did a review of an overseas hotel and gave it a 3star rating (average). All other reviews are 5star(excellent).

The owners are now harassing me to remove my review as it is harmful to their business. They are quite nasty and the latest is a solicitors letter (I can't be sure because it is an overseas hotel and overseas legal firm. It doesn't say 'writ' or anything).

I think they are being bullies and should be ignored, but my husband says it's not worth taking that risk.

Should I get the review removed? And if so, how do I do it?

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you haven't written anything that is incorrect, just ignore.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amend your review to give details of the bullying.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Options
    I thought that once a review was written, it couldn't be edited or amended?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Share the link with everybody here for a view on whether or not you're being reasonable.
  • Beenie
    Options
    It's Augusta de Mist Country House in Swellendam.

Mine is the latest 3star (Feb 2017).

I said it was a nice place, relaxing, but the 'special' meal was disappointing. We had read reports of how fantastic it was, and believe me, it was not.

I have eaten better, and written a true review. Stay there, but eat elsewhere was my honest assessment.
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had similar although it was a review on their facebook page. 2 years after leaving the review I got a snotty message saying that my 3 star review was bringing their overall rating down and could I amend it. I felt a bit guilty for about 5 seconds but decided to ignore it, I gave thaem that rating for a reason!
    :p
  • Beenie
    Options
    And you heard no more about it? I am annoyed at their bullying tactics and would like to stand firm, but my husband is worried that they will institute civil proceedings for defamation and damages. Personally I think that is ludicrous but I want a happy husband so that's why I'm considering removing/amending my review.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    And you heard no more about it? I am annoyed at their bullying tactics and would like to stand firm, but my husband is worried that they will institute civil proceedings for defamation and damages. Personally I think that is ludicrous but I want a happy husband so that's why I'm considering removing/amending my review.

They would be crazy to do so, since any competent lawyer would tell them, on the basis of what you have said, that they had zero chance of winning the case.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    I'd just ignore the letter (or if possible amend your review to mention it). Your review is perfectly reasonable and if they keep hassling you I'd send them a solicitors letter saying you'll take legal action if they don't stop threatening you.
    Cheeky frickers.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i think your review was very fair - you commented on good things as well as the not so good. Most hotels at this point put some sort of apology or comments about hoping you will give them a chance to improve etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure