Interviewer went berserk on me

Options
I was previously interviewing for an office junior job just to help improve my interviewing skills. After the interview, I sent a polite email to the interviewer to withdraw my application because of bad fit.

Moments later he called to interrogate me and shouted at me for wasting his time. I hanged up on him because he was so rude.

He then sent me a lengthy email to express his disappointment in me, highlighted how great his company is and it's my loss for withdrawing my application.

About 10 minutes later he called again, asked if I read his email and said I'm stupid if I still want to withdraw my application after seeing how much profit they make, their reputation etc. I hanged up on him shortly after he said I'm probably withdrawing because I have mental issues, suffer from depression or something like that.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    ok, is there a question attached?
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow!!!

Have to say as an employer I actually respect the fact the you had the nerve to withdraw. Long term I think that it saved everyone a lot of time. I do sort of understand the opinion of wasting time as it does take time to consider someone for a position. So while I understand that it is good for you to take the imitative to improve it is also taking the employer out of the serious business of running the company.

Still a little over the top???
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have a question or is this just a rant out of frustration?
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    What a !!!!!!!!. Would hate working with someone like that!
  • jonmoneybags
    Options
    Dodged a bullet there by withdrawing from having anything to do with that company.
    SOunds like he may know a thing of two about mental problems
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    It's absolutely a pain in the !!!! to interview someone who has no intention of taking the job.

However, he didn't know you had no intention of taking it. It is perfectly acceptable to withdraw after interview if you don't like what's on offer.

So basically you wasted his time, and if he had known that, his reaction is more understandable. However as he didn't know that, then his reaction is unacceptable, from his perspective. You can't complain about it though because you have additional information that means that you know he had a point, even though he didn't know that. You are both in the wrong.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I find it difficult to dig up much sympathy. The interviewer clearly went OTT but going for a job you've no interest in just for the interview experience is a pretty rubbish thing to do.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He did go OTT and it sounds like you dodged a bullet but can you see it from his point of view you did waste his time.

What did you get from the interview meaning it was a bad fit ?
  • Nookie5
    Nookie5 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    He did go OTT and it sounds like you dodged a bullet but can you see it from his point of view you did waste his time.

What did you get from the interview meaning it was a bad fit ?

I made up an excuse to withdraw my application. He doesn't know I never intended to work there.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    well, their reaction was over the top and offensive, particualrly the suggestion taht you have mental health issues. If you had been serious abouthe job I'd saythat that would have been a massive red flag.

It is inappropriate to apply for a job solely for interview experience, don't do that. However, it doesn't sound as though the interviewer knew that.

It's up to you whether you anything further. You can just leavve it as it is, or if you wanted, you could send a letter ot e-mail to someone more senior mentioning that having interviewing for a job and then withdrawn from the process as it you felt, after the interview, it was not a good it for you, that you recieved 2 abusive phone calls and an unpleasant e-mail, and that you feel they should be aware of this.

As an employer, I would be annoyed if I lear ned that someone had attended for an interview fora job they had no actual intetion of taking if it were offered, but despite that, I would absolutely want to know if one of my managers / interviewers was acting in this way.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure