Interviewer went berserk on me

Options
12346»

Comments

• nmr1991
    nmr1991 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    sometimes you have to go interviews otherwise u get sanctioned by the joke centre
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bazzyb wrote: »
    Hoe do you know the best way to answer them, if you withdraw the application before waiting for any feedback? You could think you've given a fantastic answer but the employer has a completely different opinion, so as well as completely wasting their time you would have wasted your own time too and gained nothing.

You don't! But then, can you always rely on the feedback you're given, which may vary from employer to employer? But, it's still all part of the experience.
    I was once asked the famous "Why do you want to work here?". Luckily I had previously considered that I might get asked that question, so I had a rough idea what I was going to say, and luckily I was able to give a reasonably fluent answer.
    Immediately after I'd given the answer, I was literally told that I had given a good answer". I didn't get the job though!
    You will never know (apart from what's on the job spec), what the employer wants, what kind of answers the employer is looking for etc, and all employers are different, but you still gain the experience!
    Don't forget, an interview ISN'T a one way street! It's YOUR chance to find out if you want to work there or not!
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    jbond wrote: »
    You don't! But then, can you always rely on the feedback you're given, which may vary from employer to employer? But, it's still all part of the experience.
    I was once asked the famous "Why do you want to work here?". Luckily I had previously considered that I might get asked that question, so I had a rough idea what I was going to say, and luckily I was able to give a reasonably fluent answer.
    Immediately after I'd given the answer, I was literally told that I had given a good answer". I didn't get the job though!
    You will never know (apart from what's on the job spec), what the employer wants, what kind of answers the employer is looking for etc, and all employers are different, but you still gain the experience!
    Don't forget, an interview ISN'T a one way street! It's YOUR chance to find out if you want to work there or not!

You are consistently missing the point. Everyone agrees with your final sentence. That's not the case here. In this case the applicant knew BEFORE APPLYING that they had no intention of taking the job.
  • jbond
    Options
    Nookie5 wrote: »
    After the interview, I sent a polite email to the interviewer to withdraw my application because of bad fit.
    You are consistently missing the point. Everyone agrees with your final sentence. That's not the case here. In this case the applicant knew BEFORE APPLYING that they had no intention of taking the job.

No, I'm not!
    The OP gave a valid excuse for not wanting the position. End of.
    The OP might have known before applying, but the employer didn't know that, did they?
    And I'm sorry, but ANY employer that behaves that like, is not worth working for, regardless of how much profit they say they make!
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    No, I'm not!
    The OP gave a valid excuse for not wanting the position. End of.
    The OP might have known before applying, but the employer didn't know that, did they?
    And I'm sorry, but ANY employer that behaves that like, is not worth working for, regardless of how much profit they say they make!

We know the employer didn't know that. It's accepted the employer's reaction was inappropriate given that he didn't know that. That point was made on the first page.

Subsequently people have been telling the OP that he was wasting the employer's time by going for an interview he had no intention of taking, because WE know that, even if the employer didn't.

The employer was in the wrong given the information he had.
    However the OP was in the wrong given the actual facts of the case.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    But then, can you always rely on the feedback you're given, which may vary from employer to employer?

Again, they didn't wait for any feedback - they withdrew their application immediately after the interview, which they had already intended on doing - so what was the point of going to the interview?

But, it's still all part of the experience.

What experience? If the OP was simply bored, and wanted something to 'experience' then perhaps they should look at taking up a new hobby. Applying for a job that you're not interested in and then not asking for any feedback is absolutely no use in building up interview experience as you gain nothing from it.

The OP had no intention of taking the job, how is that a 2 way street? They went along for no reason other than to waste everyone's time.
  • jbond
    Options
    Nookie5, I don't know if you're still watching this thread, but can you clarify exactly what you said, when you said that "the employer called to interrogate me"?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Nookie5, I don't know if you're still watching this thread, but can you clarify exactly what you said, when you said that "the employer called to interrogate me"?

I don't see why that's relevant. Everyone accepts the employer's reaction was wrong.

The question is whether the OP's actions in going for an interview for a job he had no interest in are appropriate.

The two are entirely separate points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport