Interviewer went berserk on me

Options

Comments

• mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    edited 25 March 2017 at 4:40PM
    Options
    jbond wrote: »
    Judging from the reaction you got, I think you made a wise choice.
    I know someone who goes for interviews, just to find out what the employer is like, attitude etc, perfectly acceptable thing to do!
    As annoying as it can be for an employer, behaving in that way, is totally unacceptable and just highlights their complete unprofessionalism.
    If you HAD accepted the position, if they are capable of exploding like that, what else might you have been subjected to?

No it isn;t. It's timewasting and dishonest. What would you say when asked why you want this job?
    Besides, how can someone project a real sense of wanting a job to the interviewer, when they don;t, and the interviewee would say different things in many cases if they do really want the job. So how can it be good practice?

Oh, and it is not professional to apply for a job and attend an interview, when you have no intention of taking it.
    Mind you, "professional" seems to mean in many people's eyes, behaving at work in a way that makes you look good. Totally wrong idea of what a professional approach really is, but there we go!
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    By being shortlisted when you knew you were going to withdraw you also kept someone else off the shortlist.
  • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Options
    I agree with the interviewer on this one, you had a interview but had no intention of taking the position? can you see where he was coming from? That time slot where you had your interview, that could have taken up by someone who desperately wanted the job.

Sorry, but no sympathy from me!
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    By being shortlisted when you knew you were going to withdraw you also kept someone else off the shortlist.

I'm sorry, but how on earth do you work THAT one out?
    When anyone goes for an interview, do they know how many people are lined up for it?
    Do they know if the employer has a maximum shortlist?
    An employer can interview any number of people they like, as long as they think the candidates look like a suitable fit for the position.
    Any employer worth his/her salt, any employer with an ounce of brains, knows full well that there will always be people who go for an interview and then change their mind for various reasons.
    It's annoying, obviously, but it's part and parcel of being an employer!
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with the majority. If you never had any intention of doing the job then why apply? Plus I don't see how you'll get the experience of interviewing. Surely one of the skills for interviewing is overcoming the nerves to show the correct enthusiasm? If I had no interest in the post id have no interest in the interview and therefore learn nothing.

I have however applied for several jobs I thought it lretty likely I wouldn't get (serious step up and/or not enough experience), but in all cases I wanted the job. I reached interview and went along to use that for experience, and hey, because you never know. I made sure I got feedback.
  • jbond
    Options
    tho wrote: »
    Surely one of the skills for interviewing is overcoming the nerves to show the correct enthusiasm?

Sorry, wrong!
    For most people, they'll usually experience a certain degree of nervousness both before and during an interview.
    If you're not going to show reasonable enthusiasm during an interview, there's not much point being there, bcos the employer will more than likely pick up on that.
    During an interview, you gain experience of the types of question being asked, and the best way to answer them! THAT'S the point of interview experience! You also gain a rough idea of whether you actually want to work there or not!
    The more you go to, in theory, the more relaxed you should be about it! But that doesn't mean, of course, letting your guard down.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, wrong!
    For most people, they'll usually experience a certain degree of nervousness both before and during an interview.
    If you're not going to show reasonable enthusiasm during an interview, there's not much point being there, bcos the employer will more than likely pick up on that.
    During an interview, you gain experience of the types of question being asked, and the best way to answer them! THAT'S the point of interview experience! You also gain a rough idea of whether you actually want to work there or not!
    The more you go to, in theory, the more relaxed you should be about it! But that doesn't mean, of course, letting your guard down.

You can do that without going to a real interview. How you answer the questions would also often differ, depending on whether you really want the job or not.
    Of course, halfway through the interview you may decide you don't really want the job, based upon your impression of the company from the interview. That though is entirely different to attending an interview with no intention whatsoever of accepting any job offer you get,
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, wrong!

I don't see why I'm so wrong. Nerves can cripple someone to coming up with desperate attempts to remember "correct" answers and a attempt to get it over with, even for a job that's really desired. But even in that situation I'd still suggest you'd be showing more enthusiasm than the OP with no interest in the post whatsoever.

Experience of questions and best ways to answer is brilliant yes, but there are other ways without wasting someone's time, and how do you know you had the best way to answer them? Instantly withdrawing means you probably won't get feedback. Your answers might have been dreadful.
  • jbond
    Options
    mattcanary wrote: »
    You can do that without going to a real interview. How you answer the questions would also often differ, depending on whether you really want the job or not.
    Of course, halfway through the interview you may decide you don't really want the job, based upon your impression of the company from the interview. That though is entirely different to attending an interview with no intention whatsoever of accepting any job offer you get,

I think you might be missing my point? Yes and No! You can read up to your hearts content about POTENTIAL questions you might be asked, but until you ACTUALLY go to the interview, you don't know what you might be asked. How you answer the questions shouldn't differ at all, you are there AS IF you want the job. Also, when you're at interview, you are actually meeting the people you're going to be working with. Face to face is always better, because body language and the way an employer might behave during is also important. You can gain a good feel during an interview.
    tho wrote: »
    I don't see why I'm so wrong. Nerves can cripple someone to coming up with desperate attempts to remember "correct" answers and a attempt to get it over with, even for a job that's really desired. But even in that situation I'd still suggest you'd be showing more enthusiasm than the OP with no interest in the post whatsoever.

Experience of questions and best ways to answer is brilliant yes, but there are other ways without wasting someone's time, and how do you know you had the best way to answer them? Instantly withdrawing means you probably won't get feedback. Your answers might have been dreadful.

If your nerves are going to cripple you that much, then you need to learn to calm the nerves BEFORE you consider ANY interview!
    There might not be a 'best' way to answer questions, but doing so is all part of the experience!
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    During an interview, you gain experience of the types of question being asked, and the best way to answer them! THAT'S the point of interview experience!

Hoe do you know the best way to answer them, if you withdraw the application before waiting for any feedback? You could think you've given a fantastic answer but the employer has a completely different opinion, so as well as completely wasting their time you would have wasted your own time too and gained nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure