Interviewer went berserk on me

Options

Comments

• dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    It's absolutely a pain in the !!!! to interview someone who has no intention of taking the job.

However, he didn't know you had no intention of taking it. It is perfectly acceptable to withdraw after interview if you don't like what's on offer.

So basically you wasted his time, and if he had known that, his reaction is more understandable. However as he didn't know that, then his reaction is unacceptable, from his perspective. You can't complain about it though because you have additional information that means that you know he had a point, even though he didn't know that. You are both in the wrong.

Mmm. What about being told the job is permanent and "no selling is involved", only to interview for the company (still telling lies) and to discover that the company collects money door to door and tries to sign people up for direct debits to various charities?!! AND it's not a regular pay packet at all but is, get, this, commission only paid 6 WEEKS in arrears.

Interviewers lie about the job they have on offer all the time, usually to try and glam up what is a dead boring, tedious role.

My advice is not to apply to a company until you have done some research on the company online, especially looking at the kinds of forums where former employees dish the dirt.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    If you made me interview you just for your amusement I'd give you a bolloking too.
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    It's interesting reading these responses because as a jobseeker I've been told time and time again by tutors, friends, relatives, colleagues etc...

"ALWAYS go to the interview, even if you don't want it! Go for the practice."

I have always ignored this advice because I despise job interviews so I have no desire to go through one without actually wanting a job, but the idea that you should attend without real intent is quite widespread (in the education sector anyway).

Lets hope you never have open heart surgery...how i got this job i dont know.

Ive always been a milkman...just watched "Catch me if you can"..had interview and here i am.

Wheres that Bone saw gone now...tut tut.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you would have been happy working for this guy so I say its a lucky escape!
    Interview experience is good but I wouldn't waste someone's time if I had no intention at all of taking the job. Worst case they could have turned another person down because they were going to make you an offer. That someone could be someone really in need.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    dktreesea wrote: »
    Mmm. What about being told the job is permanent and "no selling is involved", only to interview for the company (still telling lies) and to discover that the company collects money door to door and tries to sign people up for direct debits to various charities?!! AND it's not a regular pay packet at all but is, get, this, commission only paid 6 WEEKS in arrears.

Interviewers lie about the job they have on offer all the time, usually to try and glam up what is a dead boring, tedious role.

My advice is not to apply to a company until you have done some research on the company online, especially looking at the kinds of forums where former employees dish the dirt.

What about that? It's very poor on the part of the company. Nothing to do with what happened here though.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Why not just wait to see if you were offered the job? You could always have turned the offer down.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my mind the interviewee could perhaps have been a lot more diplomatic and as one of the contributors said at least waited to see if OP's application was successful.

Something to take on board for the future perhaps!
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you are applying for a job just to develop interview skills or for the experience, then surely some kind of feedback from the interview would be a big part of that - otherwise how do you actually know if you were any good or not, or what skills need to be developed.

Whilst I don't agree with the notion of applying for a job that you have no interest in, it would have made a lot more sense to have waited to hear back from them and then asked the employer for some constructive feedback regarding your interview.

Going for an interview just for the sake of it, without knowing how well you performed makes zero sense.
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Judging from the reaction you got, I think you made a wise choice.
    I know someone who goes for interviews, just to find out what the employer is like, attitude etc, perfectly acceptable thing to do!
    As annoying as it can be for an employer, behaving in that way, is totally unacceptable and just highlights their complete unprofessionalism.
    If you HAD accepted the position, if they are capable of exploding like that, what else might you have been subjected to?
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    stuart30 wrote: »
    Lets hope you never have open heart surgery...how i got this job i dont know.

Ive always been a milkman...just watched "Catch me if you can"..had interview and here i am.

Wheres that Bone saw gone now...tut tut.

Eh?
    What are you on about? This post is totally irrelevant to this post you are commenting upon!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure