How do I buy something from abroad whilst in UK which charges in Euros?

Options
HI,

I was not sure where to post this. if this is wrong place please direct me to correct section of forum please:

It is simple question. There is some item I want to buy abroad (I live in the UK) which charges Euros. I do not have a clue what to do.

Obviously I will do the purchase online via my debit card, but how does this work? Is the transfer from pound sterling to euro automatically done after I put my number etc in?

What about different rates? Do I not have that option?

All I want to do is get on with it, but am not sure what to even Google to inquire into this.

I did ask the company I am going to buy the item from but did nopt receive a reply. I just feel people think I should know what to do, but I have never done this before.
Can anyone help?

Comments

• Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 October 2016 at 1:08AM
    Options
    Assuming the seller will accept a UK debit card payment, you pay using that and your bank will convert at their prevailing rate and may also charge you for a 'foreign' transaction. Ring the customer care number on the back of the card for more info.

Paypal may be a better option, not least because you can see the conversion rate being applied.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    If it's something you want regardless of risking a poor exchange rate then just go ahead and buy it - if you have Visa Debit it will likely accept it (usually websites show the symbols of which cards they accept).

However, if it's something expensive the transaction may not go through for security reasons. Either your bank or theirs will flag it up. I mean expensive as in hundreds of pounds. Also, if it's VERY expensive then you would start to care a lot more about the exchange rate and it might be worth looking into an alternative method of payment... but from what you've said, I doubt it's that expensive. (I feel like you would have said if it was)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Not really, it is £50
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Then just buy it :)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure