Exchange Rate Loading/DCC - in UK

Options
A bit off-topic, but may be of interest to some. I have a US$ Visa debit card with a US bank, and it offers 0.5% currency exchange loading and is a good way of getting US$ back to UK (especially at current rates!).

Today I used a Tesco/RBS machine to whip out £500, and it offered DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion). I'd never seen that on a UK machine (with my US$ card) before. The rate offered works out at 2.75% so naturally I declined.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, I've had foreign visitors here offered the "service" of DCC to take away the "worry" of exchange rate risk.

Mind you, for once, depending on timing, DCC might have worked well Thursday night/Friday morning.
  • SammenForLivet2
    Options
    Barclays have offered it for years, when I've used an ABSA or FNB card to withdraw at there ATMs here in the UK.
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In a place like Britain it's surprising that the "service" is not offered more widely, including at payment terminals.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The OP's situation is atypical - 2.75% loading is probably similar (or even better) than many US providers own forex charges.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    UK card machines don't seem to deal well with Canadian cards.

I've had some offer me DCC to USD (really helpful, rip me off then I'd still get charged a conversion charge!). Unfortunately in Canada there arn't any forex free cards (except an Amazon Visa card that has 'questionable' exchange rates)

One card machine provider also provides instructions in French instead of English or French and English. Not sure what went wrong there as in Canada card machines generally show the instructions in both languages.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you try Rogersbank?

When I was in Canada last year everyone was raving about them for foreign travel. Just had a quick look and they appear to be offering 4% cashback on non-Canadian transactions.

UK card machines don't seem to deal well with Canadian cards.

I've had some offer me DCC to USD (really helpful, rip me off then I'd still get charged a conversion charge!). Unfortunately in Canada there arn't any forex free cards (except an Amazon Visa card that has 'questionable' exchange rates)

One card machine provider also provides instructions in French instead of English or French and English. Not sure what went wrong there as in Canada card machines generally show the instructions in both languages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure