Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• reality_check
    Options
    I hope you had an amazing holiday! Great news on the fitbit! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Your holiday sounds lovely SG. I love Roman remains so I'm VERY jealous. Glad you enjoyed it :).

You're doing really well to get straight back into the money saving.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks guys. I went to the gym last night and he let me off training my legs! But I've just returned from a session this evening where he did put me through a leg workout! So I've crawled onto the sofa to write my diary! Anyway I weighed myself today and have managed to lose 2lbs even though I chomped my way through all that lovely Italian food! An archeological tour/ extinct volcano climb holiday must be the way forward. :D

I had a catch up lunch today with my friend and also bought some birthday and new home cards (these out of the gifts budget).

I received a letter today from Santander confirming my e-saver 3% savings account is ending soon so I'll arrange to close it and move everything over to the 123 account. Will have to look around for another savings account but not a lot out there interest wise. :(

And my travel insurance finishes at the end of the month so will look around tomorrow to try and beat current provider's renewal quote which has gone up £12 from last year.

I was looking at the calendar for the rest of October spends wise - have got a few things on with family and friends so won't be putting that much away this month. Plus the tooth appointment will be looming soon. :(

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Oh I love being at home and not at work!:j. Don't have to return till next Thursday - bliss!

So today I pottered about, went to Aldi and just picked up a couple of bits to tide me over till tomorrow when I'm off to DD's for the weekend. My friend popped in from work for a natter and a cuppa and has not long left.

I got a renewal notice from my contents insurance provider so I decided to have a look round to see if I could better it. Spent quite a bit of time on comparison sites and checking on quidco for Cashback but strangely enough only one provider could better the renewal. And this was due to the £70 Cashback offer. So I was about to go to the page where I enter my card details when I noticed that the offer only applied to combined buildings/contents insurance which I dont need as my flat's freeholder arranges the buildings side. I checked back on quidco but there was no mention of a combined policy. I was quite annoyed as I could have ended up paying out another £40 for nothing!:mad: so I'll be sticking with the renewal quote.

Also didn't get very far with the travel insurance. I can't get a quote till I get a diagnosis from the podiatrist once he has looked at the scan / X-rays and my appointment is not till the week after next. So that will have to wait.

Anyway at least I was productive in sorting out my winter footwear. Summer stuff has replaced the winter stuff in the suitcase that lives under the bed with a few bits to take to the dress agency tomorrow. Will sort out rest of wardrobe and drawers tomorrow morning.

SSG x
    🌟
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You've been busy SG, it feels great to get all those things organised :)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    On the train now winging my way back from DD's and just finished my full English - got cheap 1st class tickets courtesy of Advanced booking and Senior Railcard. :j. Really enjoyed my weekend - had some lovely meals courtesy of DD and OH -it was so good to be able to spend a whole weekend with them.

I love The White Company stretch jersey, long- sleeved nighties. They had a sale so I got one for 40% off plus I bought a new bathroom spray and they gave me an extra 15% off on both items as I'm on their mailing list. :). Also treated myself to a Lipstick Queen lipstick in Space NK - just the shade I've been looking for! The Charlotte Tilbury make up stand in John Lewis is beautiful but I was very good and restrained myself!:naughty:

We went to see the new Blade Runner. I was really looking forward to it - we watched the original first to get us in the mood! But we were all very disappointed in the new film though. Overlong ( if any film deserved a proper "director's cut" in length it was this one!), ponderous - I'd heard the CGI and the look of the film was outstanding but wasn't any better than most sci-fi going around. Shame because the original was groundbreaking.

Also finished a book called The Party by Elizabeth Day. A sort of Talented Mr Ripley for our times! Very enjoyable!

Should be back home for early afternoon then more washing and ironing!

SSG x
    🌟
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HHoD - PC is usually pine cone research. Google for a sign up banner, £3 a time for short surveys
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying redo - I filled out the form but they confirmed I'm not in their demographic at the moment, but they will revisit in a few weeks time. :(

Other surveys in the doldrums at the moment. Nothing from PA since my payout, trudging away still with OnePoll though did finally get one YouGov last night.

When I got back yesterday did my unpacking, washing and ironing. Settled down then and watched "Alien: Covenant" which is a sci-fi I did actually enjoy!

I'm going out this afternoon to Aldi to stock up - will be making a tomato and basil sauce to go with pasta and which will stretch to a few dinners. Heard good things of the Aldi candles which are supposed to be a very good take on Jo Malone so will buy one if in stock to try out. Should save absolute oodles if they are any good!

SSG x
    🌟
  • reality_check
    Options
    They are nothing like Jo Malone SSG, but a decent candle for the money, scent pay off is alright and burns all the way down unlike other cheap candles. I like going to TKMAXX for candles, right now I have theee nicest candle ever burning in my bathroom, Pecksniffs Bourbon & Mandarin, it's a 3 wick candle, meant to be £40 I got for £7.99!! It smells like a very very good looking man! ;) xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    so does my OH but that's due to his liking for creed aventus!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback