Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Just to make you feel better JWP, I've used and loved the snail gel cream from beauty boxes. It smells of lemons and is very soothing if you have sensitive skin.

Well, thank you! Haha :beer:
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi all:wave:

Just a very quick post to wish everyone a very happy Christmas.

Will post more fully anon!!!

SSG xxx

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmassign::snow_laug
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Happy New Year Seasidegal - hope you have a great 2017 :D
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Have a great 2017 SSG....:)

Xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! _party__party__party__party__party_

Crikey! I can't believe it's been two weeks since I last posted on my diary and we are now in a new year!

In a nutshell I went over budget in the run up to Christmas. Ended up going out for a Xmas lunch with some of the girls from work - all the guys were having boozey lunches and just leaving us to get on with it. We got a bit fed up one day and told them we were off for lunch and they would have to man the phones! They were gobsmacked but had to get on with it! :rotfl:

Anyway other money bits and bobs happened including succumbing to a couple of new outfits for my new year break!:D

So I didn't put my full whack to my emergency fund when I got paid but at least something went over and I'm all bright eyed and bushy tailed ready for 2017!

Christmas started well. I went to the ballet at Sadler Wells on Christmas Eve - courtesy of DD and OH. We saw a matinee of Matthew Bourne's Red Shoes. It was absolutely beautiful and if you are a ballet fan please try and get to see it before the run ends if you can.

Christmas Day was fraught. My sis came down with a rotten cold and was really under the weather and DD was mortified because she burnt the parsnips whilst cooking lunch! Seven adults and three children for lunch and there seemed a zillion presents this year as the kids had tons. I think my new little nephew was completely overwhelmed! It was funny but DD and OH had bought him only one pressie - a rather lovely big wooden toy box with his name engraved on it. What did he do? He left his other pressies and decided it would be fun to play in the box! So it's true what they say about kids - they will play with just a box. Sis was muttering darkly about splitting opening his pressies over two days next year. I said why dont you just buy less for him as he gets pressies anyway from the rest of the family and their friends but I can't see that happening. Sis isn't too bad but it's her OH who is the problem!

Anyway the adults ended up opening their presents at 9.00pm!

I did very well - Sis and OH bought me a Fitbit so I now have no excuse on the fitness front! Thoroughly spoilt as usual by DD. I have some trips to look forward to in the year and a ticket to The Aussie Pink Floyd tribute band later in the year! :j:j:j

I'm currently in the North West of Scotland with DD and OH for New Year. Had a six hour delay at Gatwick on Friday due to fog and at one stage they were cancelling all Glasgow and Edinburgh flights so I thought Inverness would be next! Luckily it wasn't in the end but I ended up booking into a hotel overnight in Inverness as I was so late landing and it's over an hours drive on some pretty twisty roads from there to where we are staying. So instead of picking me up at the airport on their way on Friday afternoon, poor DD and OH had to drive over again from where we are staying and pick me up yesterday morning!

Had a fantastic New Year last night. Some lovely people staying here and the meal was excellent. We had a piper and fireworks over the loch at midnight and then all decamped to the bar where some of the locals joined us where raucous games of snooker was held! I'm useless but DD is pretty good!

So today I'm curled up by the cosy fire in the drawing room. I wimped out of the walk with DD and OH in the end so they have gone off to do something harder and more intrepid! Am here till Tuesday so will definitely do something strenerous tomorrow! (weather permitting)! :D
    🌟
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Cheeseface wrote: »
    My poor toenails get neglect in the winter. Beautiful finger nails but my toes are chipped ad growing out!

I could never get on with the Benefit Mascara either. I don't think it significantly cheaper though. I usually buy the double sets of Lancôme which brings the price down a tiny bit. I've got skincare down budget wise, that was a real downshift and my skin is much better too, win win situation.

The important thing is to still trust your products I think. I went out on Friday night and used my usual higher end bare minerals foundation and powder, and mascara. I used an MUA lipstick and Make up revolution eyeshadows. My face stayed put all night, even the lipstick. It's been a relief to wear cheaper lipsticks because I used to Chanel. Going from £20 to £1 is great. Last time I bought some (Candace from Bake off inspired lipsticks, I bought 3, on a 3 for 2 promotion. Two shades I wanted and the third was an experimental shade.
    it didn't work. Ladies in their mid forties shouldn't wear black lipstick

Hi Cheeseface - the cheaper lip pencil I bought felt a bit dry and the shade was a rather brighter than I thought so I don't think I would buy that particular one again. I had to buy a new mascara in the end. I wimped out a bit and bought my usual one but justified it as I had £6 left on a House of Fraser gift voucher I had forgotten about. You can't buy any budget make up in there so at least I got £6 off my mascara!

Where do you buy your MUA and Make Up Revolution brands? I couldn't see them in Boots
    🌟
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    You all sound so glamourous. The types who won't be seen unless perfectly put together. I think filing a broken nail is an achievement. Maybe that's cos in my 40s, I have worn black cherry lip stick from Clinique!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I don't think there is anything wrong with that particular lipstick inod!

I'm definitely not that glamorous! I put the full slap on for work and for dressing up but at the moment I'm typing this with no make up on in a drawing room shared with other guests!:D
    🌟
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    SG your holiday sounds lovely. Hope the weather won't be too wild for you.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    HappyNow wrote: »
    Hello, finally read your diary from the start and caught up.

About your retirement pension, I'm just checking you know that there are options to 'buy' extra NINO contributions so you can draw full state pension? I will need to do this because even though everyone is contracted back in from this year, I don't intend working long enough to get full entitlement. It's WAY too complicated for me to understand or explain, but the lovely people on the Pensions Board will point you in the right direction if you don't already know. Start by registering via the Gov site for your pension forecast if you haven't already :)

Thanks for that Happy. I applied for my pension forecast statement back in November and it only occurred to me just before Christmas that I hadnt heard back. I phoned them and they said they were halfway through with my application and if I hadn't received it within two weeks to ring again! So will wait and see. Once I know what I'm actually getting I can then see what I can buy!
    🌟
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    JWPopps wrote: »
    I never used to be a stickler for particular cosmetics, largely because I've always been a total tightwad when it comes to that stuff... and then about this time last year I got a Groupon for a 6 month Birchbox trial and I developed a taste for some of their really luxe skincare stuff... including snail gel face cream :eek:

But honestly, my skin has never been so soft!

...I don't really buy it for myself though, I just hint heavily around my birthday and Christmas...

..... the snail gel isn't really calling to me....... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts