Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    That's not a good teacher.:(

Children who have been off school because of sickness should always be helped to make up what they've missed.

Serious question - how and when do you suggest this is done?

The child and teacher give up lunch time for a Week?
    The child and teacher stay for an hour after school for a week?
    The teacher ignores the class for three or four sessions and just teaches the child?

I would do my very best to help any pupil, especially one who has been ill. However, it's rarely possible to make it the same as the original. Most pupils in my school would catch a bus at 3.45 so couldn't stay.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Maybe we should embrace this pick and mix culture in our "compulsory" education and the government can give out education vouchers or holiday vouchers depending on what their parents want.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »

The teacher ignores the class for three or four sessions and just teaches the child?

I would do my very best to help any pupil, especially one who has been ill. However, it's rarely possible to make it the same as the original. Most pupils in my school would catch a bus at 3.45 so couldn't stay.

I used to be a teacher and I would use a combination of short lunchtime sessions and any other opportunity during the school day to help a pupil who had been off sick.

One-to-one sessions are very effective - you need only a fraction of the time to get results compared to whole class teaching. If the parents are willing and able to help, I would send information home as well.

If you pick the really essential parts of learning that have been missed, they can be made up reasonably quickly.
  • pollypenny
    Options
    I used to be a teacher and I would use a combination of short lunchtime sessions and any other opportunity during the school day to help a pupil who had been off sick.

One-to-one sessions are very effective - you need only a fraction of the time to get results compared to whole class teaching. If the parents are willing and able to help, I would send information home as well.

If you pick the really essential parts of learning that have been missed, they can be made up reasonably quickly.

That depends on both concepts and child.

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 6 June 2016 at 1:53AM
    Options

I often used to help kids who'd been off sick with catch up work a decent school will reshuffle resources like TAs in such instances. I wouldn't expect 5 hours to be needed for one to one catch up for one topic unless the child had some learning difficulties though.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Jagraf wrote: »
    Schools can't win can they. Whilst us parents think we are educational experts (until they need to blame schools) then the whole system will continue to be a mess.

It should be left to the professionals to sort it out. We dont tell pilots how to fly planes. Most of us aren't qualified to do so.

There's also a shortage of teachers. Maybe some parents should train to be one (and then they can see the work involved before making naive statements), if it's such an easy job with so many holidays.

Speaking as someone who went and worked in a school for a year to help me decide if I wanted to go back to qualify as a teacher so probably have more insight than I did as just a parent with friends who are teachers.....I believe many teachers who have no industry or commercial experience don't understand that few graduate positions are a straight 40 hour week and they aren't nearly as hard done by as they believe and if you tot up the extra hours including lesson planning and marking they still stack up the same or slightly less hours annually than other graduates although the distribution is different.

I contributed to the teacher shortage too as although I loved my year working in what was to be polite a challenging high school it wasn't the work or even the challenges of the kids that put me off it was the pettiness of the management structure and the fact that teachers are often put in situations where the politics of education come before the best practices for the students. I saw too many incredible teachers either quit or become demotivated by it.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • pollypenny
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    I often used to help kids who'd been off sick with catch up work a decent school will reshuffle resources like TAs in such instances. I wouldn't expect 5 hours to be needed for one to one catch up for one topic unless the child had some learning difficulties though.

So did I.

And I'd give time to pupils who'd been off on holiday. However, I would not expect TAs to be reshuffled, as they were usually allocated to specify pupils with special needs.

I'm very aware that we, caring professionals, would do our very best to help pupils to catch up. It's the expectation that is concerning.

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Options

This is actually why I never queried any further. I sort of assumed it couldn't be done. After school wouldn't have been an issue though as this was during the (later) Primary years and we live 5 minutes walk away. I mentioned it because the outcome for my son at this point was the same regardless of whether he'd been of a week with swine flu or off on a weeks sunshine break.

Certainly, which is why a year later, I paid for a private tutor who sorted the issue (and beyond) in 3x1hr sessions.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    That's not a good teacher.:(

Children who have been off school because of sickness should always be helped to make up what they've missed.

Said teachers are already busy helping those that have been off on their jollies!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Options
    I was bemused this morning to find a letter in my DD'S schoolbag, saying that there is an 'Enrichment Day' next week and what some of the pupils would like to do for it is watch the football match England vs Wales and any pupil can go and watch in the school hall and if they don't want to they can do independent study at school. The ones who do chose to watch footie can either watch until the end or leave part way through so they can catch the bus home. Wonder what the reaction would have been if I'd rung up requesting child come home to watch a football match?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure