Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 1st Oct 15, 5:39 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    5p bag charge - your views
    • 1st Oct 15, 5:39 PM
    0 WOW
    5p bag charge - your views 1st Oct 15 at 5:39 PM
    Hi everyone,

From 5 October, supermarkets in England will charge 5p for carrier bags. So I wanted to know:

1. What are your views on the charge? Is it good/bad/don't care - and why?
    2. And do you have any MoneySaving tips for getting around the fee?

Thanks
    Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 02-10-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: (Typo)
Page 1
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 1st Oct 15, 5:46 PM
    • 17,253 Posts
    • 26,865 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 1st Oct 15, 5:46 PM
    It's the 5th of October.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 1st Oct 15, 5:46 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 11,892 Thanks
    stephen77
    I often shop in Lidl/Aldi so already in a habit of taking bags in with me so it should not bother me to much.

I think more people will take bags in with them to the major supermarkets as well now.

Glad I have not got shares in a plastic bag company as they will be down in revenue?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 1st Oct 15, 5:50 PM
    • 6,870 Posts
    • 5,851 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 1st Oct 15, 5:50 PM
    • 1st Oct 15, 5:50 PM
    Hi,

I think it is from Monday 5th October, Scotland Ireland and Wales have had it for years/months and have survived, so I'm sure England will survive, though not against Australia, in Rugby World Cup on Saturday, England OUT in group games. Hee Hee.
    Y'all take care now.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 1st Oct 15, 5:51 PM
    • 36,727 Posts
    • 47,402 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 1st Oct 15, 5:51 PM
    • 1st Oct 15, 5:51 PM
    Only shops with more than 250 employees are compelled to charge, they pocket the money but the government takes the vAT

Smaller shops will charge and pocket the money, full stop.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • archived user
    • 1st Oct 15, 6:10 PM
    • 1st Oct 15, 6:10 PM
    MSE Helen

Why do you think this warrants it's own thread.?

This is nothing new. It is just England catching up with the rest of the UK. I don't recall MSE doing the same for Scotland, Wales or NI when it happened there.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 1st Oct 15, 6:14 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 1st Oct 15, 6:14 PM
    • 1st Oct 15, 6:14 PM
    I just went to Tesco for some bread they are giving a free bag for life to every customer who wants one. I am looking forward to England catching up with Scotland and Wales with free prescriptions...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 1st Oct 15, 6:17 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 11,892 Thanks
    stephen77
    • 1st Oct 15, 6:17 PM
    • 1st Oct 15, 6:17 PM
    MSE Helen

Why do you think this warrants it's own thread.?

This is nothing new. It is just England catching up with the rest of the UK. I don't recall MSE doing the same for Scotland, Wales or NI when it happened there.
    Originally posted by !!!!!!!

They are only catching up the with the rest of the Uk if you see this as a good thing.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 1st Oct 15, 6:34 PM
    • 6,870 Posts
    • 5,851 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 1st Oct 15, 6:34 PM
    • 1st Oct 15, 6:34 PM
    Hi,

oh Helen, where have you been hiding, plenty reading here, and if you want more, here.
    Y'all take care now.
    • marleyboy
    • By marleyboy 1st Oct 15, 6:42 PM
    • 14,803 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    marleyboy
    I have no view on it as we have always took our Bags for Life with us.

I think maybe supermarkets should only have Bags for Life available, as 5p for a flimsy carrier bag is not solving the issue of reducing them.

I am sure the rest of England will get round to the idea that bags are not available for free and thus a good idea to either bring your own bags for life, or have to buy them in the store.
    1+1+1=1
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
    • mumf
    • By mumf 1st Oct 15, 7:23 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    mumf
    As the old Kwik Save used to say, " There's no such thing as a free carrier bag".

The much- highlighted Ireland, where this charge has been in existence for years HAS reduced carrier bag usage. However, the sale of plastic BIN BAGS has gone up!

So the 5p charge is a bit of a red herring imo.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 1st Oct 15, 7:50 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Only shops with more than 250 employees are compelled to charge, they pocket the money but the government takes the vAT

Smaller shops will charge and pocket the money, full stop.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    I think you will find that the bigger companies who charge for the bags MUST put a large part of it to charity.

This is a government demand.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
  • archived user
    Just to clarify, it's companies that employ more than 250 employees in the entire company, not a shop that has 250 plus workers.

Sainsburys are having a stronger plastic bag for 5p, which can be replaced free of charge if falls apart.

For those in England, look at carrier bags you have been given when bought things. If you see.a barcode on it, these will be the 5p bag for the retailer.

Some of the customers I have informed thought I am talking male cow poo.

Not looking forward to the abuse from some customers on Monday
    'I am not paying 5p for a bag'
    'I'm sorry, it's the law.'

'Could you give me carrier bag?'
    'I'm sorry, it's not free as you haven't bought any excempt items. Before you ask, we don't sell any excempt items'
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 2nd Oct 15, 12:03 AM
    • 35,371 Posts
    • 22,323 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Just to clarify, it's companies that employ more than 250 employees in the entire company, not a shop that has 250 plus workers.

Sainsburys are having a stronger plastic bag for 5p, which can be replaced free of charge if falls apart.

For those in England, look at carrier bags you have been given when bought things. If you see.a barcode on it, these will be the 5p bag for the retailer.

Some of the customers I have informed thought I am talking male cow poo.

Not looking forward to the abuse from some customers on Monday
    'I am not paying 5p for a bag'
    'I'm sorry, it's the law.'

'Could you give me carrier bag?'
    'I'm sorry, it's not free as you haven't bought any excempt items. Before you ask, we don't sell any excempt items'
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    That's not abuse, that's just not wanting for a bag.

Not your fault they aren't aware of what's going on.
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 2nd Oct 15, 12:45 AM
    • 6,789 Posts
    • 53,702 Thanks
    sparrer
    Much of Australia and several other countries have banned plastic carrier bags. Excellent idea. I use fabric shopping bags and am making more from recycled curtains as I object to the advertising on plastic bags, and I'm blowed if I'm going to pay for the 'priviledge'.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 2nd Oct 15, 1:25 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    alanq
    For in store shopping I see no objection to the charge. People should manage to provide their own bags.

For home deliveries the only options are to have no bags which must be time consuming to unpack (and therefore add to costs incurred by supermarket making the delivery) or pay for carrier bags. Ocado seems to have the right idea. It is going to refund 5p for each carrier handed back to them for recycling. Thus environmental impact is greatly reduced by a little extra administration and driver & customer are not greatly disadvantaged by the new policy.
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 2nd Oct 15, 3:40 AM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 13,303 Thanks
    Alikay
    The much- highlighted Ireland, where this charge has been in existence for years HAS reduced carrier bag usage. However, the sale of plastic BIN BAGS has gone up!
    Originally posted by mumf
    That'll be what happens with me: I always use my thin supermarket bags as kitchen bin liners, so from Oct 5th on, I'll be reusing my carrier bags for shopping, but lining my bin with a liner costing around 2p or so instead.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Oct 15, 6:58 AM
    • 16,966 Posts
    • 145,288 Thanks
    JackieO
    When I was a little girl if Mum had to buy a shopping bag it was a brown paper one which got re-used several times as she had paid 2d for it then when it was past its best it was used to fire up the range in the kitchen.The dearer ones were 4d and had little wooden handles and were strong enough to carry spuds.She also always carried a net shopping bag in her handbag with leather handles it went everywhere with her and took up no space in there.I always carry bags in the car and have several bags for life made out of hessian from Waitrose and I am happy to use them in Aldi's or Lidl's even though they have the Waitrose logo on them
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 2nd Oct 15, 7:05 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 26,423 Thanks
    N9eav
    If you have not already done so, most people will soon find that bringing your own decent shopping bags makes grocery shopping so much easier to pack and carry.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 2nd Oct 15, 9:19 AM
    • 10,446 Posts
    • 36,845 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm a huge fan of bags for life (even if they aren't invariably) as the range of colours & patterns makes sorting seasonal presents for people much easier. [Since most of my extended family will visit mum at some stage, if I get in there early, I can leave her with a row of individual bags (all labelled as well) and she can route them onwards.]

I've made loads of fabric carriers from charity shop summer frocks - bright, cheap, cheerful, and washable. Life expectancy with cans of about a month, but easy enough to squish down. I'm going to learn how to make netting bags - they're superb for packing down but taking loads, of all shapes! & carrying serious weight.

I also picked up how to "fold" a carrier bag into a samosa shape, which makes even big thick bags for life cooperate. (Try here? ) Hours of innocent fun & a neat party trick...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,458Posts Today

7,452Users online

Martin's Twitter