Timeshare - Macdonald Resorts

Options

Comments

• madaboutsaving
    Options
    Please join the MRL Owners facebook group if you want to join a group of owners who have opinions like yours and are investigating ways of challenging the proposed changes.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Dun4609 wrote: »
    I also received my notice of SGM today. I feel owners wishing to leave the club are getting a raw deal. Why should they have to pay to give up something that they originally bought? Seems owners who have paid their management fees are having to pay for the bad debts incurred by other owners! I currently exchange my timeshare week. If I wish to continue to do this I will have to reserve a week before I can deposit it for exchange! I would prefer to keep things the way they are unless a better deal is offered to those wishing to exit.

I certainly agree that the proposals aren't all good, but do bear in mind that at present there is no way out unless you can find a buyer for your unit. I've have good use from my unit but am now finding it virtually impossible to get exchanges to anywhere I want to go at the times I want to travel. That has been true for quite a few years, and I own prime time. The points chart I received from McD showed my week as having the highest points value for the unit type.

When you add the MF to the other charges involved in an exchange, even through somewhere like DAE, I can rent great accommodation for less. I won't say I'm happy at coughing up around £2k for the privilege of exiting, but it's preferable to paying ever increasing M/Fs for ever!
  • Cambio-29
    Options
    I, too, am a Macdonald Timeshare Owner and am extremely concerned about the Special GM results. There is definitely a question regarding the legality of the new proposals which seem to be being implemented in rather a "rush" by MRL. All concerned owners need to band together to discuss these changes, ask more questions, and move forward from there. Also, we need to keep an eye on the Timeshare Consumer Association website. Let's get together, everyone with concerns/doubts, etc.
  • Mrwalk3053
    Options
    This group is on Facebook and a trying to fight the changes. Please join this closed group by giving you resort/apartment/week or weeks.
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    I've had a letter from Macdonald Resorts today informing me that I'm now the proud owner of 4800 points so I'm assuming the resolution was passed at the SGM on the 7th of August.
    At least now I can see an end to coughing up M/Fs for ever.
  • Anfine
    Options
    The Timeshare Consumer Association is active in commencing legal action to prevent Macdonalds from stealing your property and is close to litigating. The legal advice they have is from a top QC and is pretty much watertight!

They have a series of Roadshows explaining the real facts of what is occurring at both Macdonalds and also Silverpoint resorts (very similar situation!)

For more details contact:
    rachael.orlos@timeshareconsumerassociation.org.uk

Or visit their website:
    timeshareconsumerassociation.org.uk

There is also the 'closed' Facebook page "Owners Against Macdonalds" to which you can subscribe, but you will need to advise the moderators of the weeks/units/resorts owned to be approved.

MRL thinks that by running the SGMs at times when many owners are holidaying and using their timeshare weeks, they have stolen the march on the dissenters.

They think that by running the vote themselves, without external auditing and control, they have won the battle.

They believe that by giving owners an expensive exit route, that is sufficient and we will all rush through the open door.

They actually think that we are so stupid as not to realise that these proposals take us outside the provisions of the soon-to-be-revised new, European timeshare laws.

They think we have not noticed that by changing us from a timeshare club to a holiday club based on points, we missed the point that their aim is to take our assets out the Trust arrangements that the clubs have, and put them squarely on their own balance sheet as an asset.

Are they really so naive as to think we would not see them for the charlatans and blackguards that they are?

They are wrong and this daylight robbery needs to be fought! It's time to get militant!

:mad:
  • Anfine
    Options
    Dun4609 wrote: »
    I am going to vote against the resolution and if we lose the vote hopefully there will be enough support to fight the decision!
    There is... you need to see the timeshareconsumerassociation.org.uk site.
  • janey_jane_2
    Options
    I have come across this page whilst seeking advice re my timeshare week.
    I am in a position where I would like to relinquish my week due to financial constraints. I have received notification today that I can " give back my week for £2000"
    As many others, I am not in a position to lay my hands on that kind of money and wondered if there is any advice out there for me?
    Also I have searched for the Facebook page " owners against macdonalds" but have had no luck so if possible could a link be placed on this site.
    Thank you in advance.
  • TELLIT01
    edited 30 August 2014 at 9:48PM
    Options
    I can only assume that MRL are confident that they have law on their side as I have today received forms to relinquish holiday certificates.
  • ceejayblue
    ceejayblue Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 September 2014 at 4:51PM
    Options
    Mrwalk3053 wrote: »
    This group is on Facebook and a trying to fight the changes. Please join this closed group by giving you resort/apartment/week or weeks.
    I am an admin on the group, please join and help to campaign against MRL on this. Here's a link to the group on facebook - click on join group and I will PM you from the group requesting your details.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458462974433443/

There's lots of information on the group that you will hopefully find interesting and helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure