We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What Can I Grow In July??

Options
Mutantk
Mutantk Posts: 158 Forumite
Hi everyone, I'm new to these boards. Already do my best to cook from scratch but this forum has taught me there's so much more I can do - am so inspired by it all and thankyou all for the great posts.
The first big change for me is to start to grow my own produce - it sounds such a lovely thing to do, especially with the kids helping. Unfortunately I am not very green fingered but this is a good place to start - I wonder if anyone that is more knowledgable in the field could advise me - have I left it too late this year to grown anything? Or are there things that I could start planting now or soon? We have a reasonable size garden but very little flower beds - lots of room for pots/planter though.

Any ideas/suggestions/good places to start/tips/ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
threadbanner.gif
If Life Deals You a Lemon - Make Lemonade!! :j

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I know you said that you are new here, so don't worry to much but this thread will possibly be moved to Greenfingers Moneysaving. Its abit further down the main list of forums ;)

But not to worry all replies will still be there when it gets moved.

I'll kick off with answering a question with a question, if you don't mind :D Its the one I always ask, What fruit and veg do you like to eat?

Thats normally the answer to what you grow.

Your not too late at all, infact its not a bad time to start as most veg hates frost so these not much chance of that at the moment, Oh and they like rain too :D

Your too late for spuds at the moment, but if you wait until Sept'ish you could have new spuds for xmas dinner ;):D
  • Sharifa_2
    Sharifa_2 Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    You could try lettuce and kohlrabi. I usually do Christmas potatoes from late July/early August - Dobies has some seed potatoes in stock. I recommend Carlingford.
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    There was a good guide in Saturday's Times magazine. I will try to summarise for you. mixed salad leaves ready in 2 weeks. dwarf french beans ready in 6 weeks. parsley pick from 3 weeks. lollo rosso pick in 2 weeks. dwarf borlotti beans pick in 6 weeks. chard 3 weeks. dwarf runner beans from 6 weeks till first frost. basil pick in 2-4 weeks. coriander, as basil.baby beetroot harvest in 6 weeks. All the above can be planted from now intil the end of July.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    There was a good guide in Saturday's Times magazine. I will try to summarise for you. mixed salad leaves ready in 2 weeks. dwarf french beans ready in 6 weeks. parsley pick from 3 weeks. lollo rosso pick in 2 weeks. dwarf borlotti beans pick in 6 weeks. chard 3 weeks. dwarf runner beans from 6 weeks till first frost. basil pick in 2-4 weeks. coriander, as basil.baby beetroot harvest in 6 weeks. All the above can be planted from now intil the end of July.

Are these timescales from seed?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would start on the green fingered board, some lovely helpful people on there
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Options
    I think there are some types of carrots you can still sow, Nantes I think.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    herbs are a good thing to start with, as they are easy to grow, enhance your cooking, and look pretty as well. Most things can be grown in containers - lettuce or other salad leaves are easy and quick growing, radishes and small carrots too. If you have big enough containers you can grow almost anything - I grew a huge butternut squash plant last year in a really big container. It had loads and loads of squashes on it, and the last one was not eaten till March. They were stored just on the kitchen window sill and kept all through the winter. The main thing to remember with container grown veg is that they need adequate feeding and watering.
  • Mutantk
    Mutantk Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks DawnW, that's really helpful, encourages me to that I CAN do it!! Just wondered, when you say to feed them, what do you use? Thanks.
    If Life Deals You a Lemon - Make Lemonade!! :j
  • ViksB
    ViksB Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    swede, french beans, lettuce, radish can all go in now.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mutantk wrote: »
    Thanks DawnW, that's really helpful, encourages me to that I CAN do it!! Just wondered, when you say to feed them, what do you use? Thanks.

liquid feed sold for tomatoes works for all fruit and veg, and lots of flowers too. The cheapest sort is as good as any. Once a week during the growing season once the plants are a good size (ie not little baby seedlings, when they are growing fast). Anyone can do it - they WANT to grow!! You will have the odd disaster, but you will always get something if you persevere. I have been doing it for 30 odd years, and some years are better for some crops than others. This year the strawberries are rubbish and the raspberries great, last year it is the other way round :confused:
    D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport