IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CP PLUS Parking Gartnavel Hospital Glasgow

MARKOS72
MARKOS72 Posts: 248 Forumite
PPI Party Pooper
edited 21 July 2013 at 12:58PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
My brother is in a wheelchair and on oxygen awaiting a lung transplant as a consequence of having leukaemia several years ago,and has to routinely attend the Beatsons Clinic at Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow-every 4 weeks or so-for tests and treatment.We as a family take turns to go with him.
He has a blue disabled badge,but there were no disabled bays available this time round and the general public car park was full.
My car was parked in a staff permit car park which was only half full,the driver thinking there wouldnt be any problems.Returned several hours later as things over ran to find a parking notice from CP-Plus(in the still half empty car park)on my car for parking in a staff permit only bay.Surely the parking attendant should have showed some discretion as the driver did leave his blue badge on display.
Both my sisters are nurses with NHS Glasgow and have said just to ignore it.
Any advice and help would be gratefully received as ignoring the notice seems to be the general consensus of opinion here too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comments

• nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As it is in Scotland the general advice is to ignore these fake parking tickets.

Incidentally CP Plus are in breach of the British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice by ticketing a vehicle displaying a Blue Badge
    16.5 If your landowner provides a concession that allows parking for disabled people, if a vehicle displays a valid Blue Badge you must not issue it with parking charge notices.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Documents/AOS/AOS_CoP_June_2013_update.pdf
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Your sisters are correct in this matter, CP Plus will write to the registered keeper of the vehicle, so if that is not you please bare that in mind. You will need to do a challenge to get them writing to you.

As there's no keeper liability in Scotland the charge only can be with the driver, if you don't tell them who that is then they are stuffed. I would make complaints with the nhs trust involved though, they probably don't have enough provision for disabled drivers.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 July 2013 at 10:19AM
    I wouldn't ignore it, because you have excellent grounds for giving these people a bloody nose.

Normally we would advise waiting for a Notice to Keeper to arrive in the post, but in this case I wouldn't, for reasons I shall explain.

I would write to the trust that runs the hospital. Point out to them that you are the owner and registered keeper of the vehicle in question (you don't need to admit to being the driver - indeed, maybe you weren't, you certainly haven't said so above). Explain that you and some family members were taking your disabled brother to the hospital for an appointment (you see, carefully avoiding identifying the driver). State why the vehicle was parked in a staff bay (that the spaces for disabled drivers, and the general car park, were all full).

Point out to them that the Equality Act 2010 obliges them to make "reasonable adjustments" for disabled "customers". Explain that, given the circumstances, using a vacant staff bay (whilst clearly displaying a blue badge) was, in the driver's opinion, a "reasonable adjustment".

Remind them that they, the trust, are legally liable for the actions of their agent, CP Plus. And conclude by warning them that, now they are aware of the situation regarding the disability, any further threats or demands from their agent, CP Plus, will be regarded as harassment and will result in your family bringing a case against the trust for injury to feelings, as provided for in the Equality Act 2010.

Why do this now rather than wait for the Notice to Keeper? Because the Notice to Keeper would then constitute precisely the kind of harassment you have warned them of, and would trigger a claim by you against the trust for at least £500.

And why the trust and not CP Plus? Because, as Coupon Mad always says, go for the organ grinder not the monkey.

However, do wait for Coupon Mad to comment, she is sure to have a view, and her opinion may be different to (or even better than!) mine!
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OK, having seen the previous posts, I have picked up the Scotland point! They are absolutely correct, nothing will happen beyond a few worthless letters if you ignore this.

However, I believe the Equality Act 2010 applies in Scotland, so I would still seek to put the trust in its place. They are responsible for these louts CP Plus and they need to be taught a lesson about the kind of lowlife they have got into bed with.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Bazster - I think Coupon is on holiday, so the OP may not get a response in time.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OK, thanks for the "heads up".
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2013 at 10:28AM
    Frankly, I wouldn't bother.

Staff Parking is at a premium at this site (and a few others). A blue badge gives you no additional rights on private land, except you would be advised to park in an designated space for this purpose. If there is no space then you park elsewhere. You cannot seek as mitigation 'there were no spaces' as spaces are provided under the Disability Acts. The accepted process it be patient is dropped off and the companion the parks where they can.

Starting an appeal letter chain whilst incriminating yourself is NOT good advice.

Leave as is - do not respond to the next 5 or so begging letters and ride out the junk mail. Next time you go, remember there is no god given right to a parking space at any hospital.

Also the fact there were staff spaces available is not an excuse - these are for on call staff and they PAY for their permits to park there. Staff that choose not to use the car park go to the streets around Kelvindale where there is free public parking.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 July 2013 at 10:37AM
    Buzby wrote: »
    The accepted process it be patient is dropped off and the companion the parks where they can.

And if the patient is too disabled to get from the kerb to the clinic unaided? Do you advocate dropping the patient into the gutter and coming to get them half-an-hour later having parked a mile away?
    Starting an appeal letter chain whilst incriminating yourself is NOT good advice.

You obviously missed the bit where I said (several times) not to mention who was driving.
    Also the fact there were staff spaces available is not an excuse - these are for on call staff and they PAY for their permits to park there. Staff that choose not to use the car park go to the streets around Kelvindale where there is free public parking.

That staff are made to pay for parking permits is hardly the OP's problem. Two wrongs do not make a right.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2013 at 10:53AM
    Your emotive rant is noted - however it changes not a single thing. Things you should consider:

(1) if the patient is too disabled to 'get from the kerb unaided' then the option of ambulance transport is offered, further, if assistance is required from a vehicle then if staff are advised they can and do assist. Using this as an excuse/justification for parking in an inappropriate place is so pathetic it shows.

(2) I was not referring to anything in your post as I felt it was not worthy of a direct comment my responses were directed to the OP

(3) another selective misread? The staff parking is not provided for overspill BB users. There is no 'wrong' being perpetrated, unless you seriously contend NHS Glasgow & Clyde have the a capability to magic up spaces on demand? As long as spaces are PROVIDED they fully comply with the Act. There will be times those spaces will be used fully - your belief that they are somehow negligent because of this is laughable.

Your comments regarding lowlifes, louts etc serve no useful purpose. Hospital parking is abused - more so now because it is FREE. Control is needed, because folk will park where the want to - and that includes BB holders.

The advice to the OP remains the same. Don't make the same mistake, and let the letter chain expire.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    The other side of that Buzby is if they wanted to ensure staff parking spaces, why not put up a barrier to prevent others using it like a majority of other hospitals? I am not endorsing what has happened, but we are not here to judge people on their actions
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport