PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitors charges for late payment of ground rent

Options
Basically I've been late in paying the ground rent on my flat. It's £200 and was due in January. I put the cheque in the post last week. However, I've since been contacted by a solicitors (SLC in this case) demanding just shy of £600, threatening court action, with an enclosed 'arrears schedule' that they want signing (in order to 'agree' with the sum claimed). The breakdown of this schedule is as follows:

Ground Rent
Admin Charge - Late Payment
Admin Charge - Solicitors Referral - 99.60
Land Registry Charge
Legal Costs
VAT
TOTAL

Is this right? Is it legally enforceable? Anything I can do? I understand a slight extra charge for late payment and fully accept it's my own fault, but trebling the debt for a bit of paperwork, to me, is completely immoral, if not corrupt!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you had any correspondence since the original demand warning that it may go to solicitors? As I see it, they are out of order in that they are not seeking to mitigate the costs - I doubt a court would uphold anything after the first admin fee. And I am puzzled by the Land Registry fee.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2013 at 12:37PM
    Options
    Never ignore a bill - pay it challenge it or discuss it.

The answer is whether your lease allows these charge to be recoverable.
    Pull out your lease and look for any reference to legal costs, as short of a court award the only way to recover a cost if your leases allows them to.

A decision here points out most of the issues
    http://www.lease-advice.org/decisions/8587pdf/7001-8000/7635.pdf
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • propertyman
    edited 24 February 2013 at 12:39PM
    Options
    ValHaller wrote: »
    Have you had any correspondence since the original demand warning that it may go to solicitors? As I see it, they are out of order in that they are not seeking to mitigate the costs - I doubt a court would uphold anything after the first admin fee. And I am puzzled by the Land Registry fee.

The latter is a restriction on the title preventing a sale or re financing.

Why is it out of order?
    -they have a lease that says GR is paid at set amount every year whether demanded or not.
    -that there are protections means that they must now bill AND send a notice setting out the amount and by when it should be paid.

so how could someone not be clear about what was due and when?

These charges are outrageous and prey on the foolhardy who must realise they are dealing with very hard nosed landlords. But they are not clampers, there is set amount due on a set date each year. Pay it and there is really "no problem". :)

Any one reading with ground rent to pay, go open a savings account and put a monthly amount in or buy and ISA or similar if it is due in March April or June
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
  • ValHaller
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Why is it out of order?
    I did not say 'it', I said 'they'. They have jumped to law and to fee escalation too quickly. Yes, money is due, but the approach to recovery is unduly precipitate.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • propertyman
    edited 24 February 2013 at 3:50PM
    Options
    I did not say 'it', I said 'they'. They have jumped to law and to fee escalation too quickly. Yes, money is due, but the approach to recovery is unduly precipitate.

It or they, the same applies, why is the legal action ( it) that they have taken out of order?

There is a multi year contract that says pay a fixed x on a fixed y date, they have a bill and a notice with clear payment dates. In many respects then the bill IS a reminder.

Why ( financial or mitigating circumstances aside) is a lessee then not out of order ignoring their obligation?

The point I am making is simple one. A lot of people looking for help in these cases are those that created the issue in the first place by assuming or ignoring, and not acting asking or reacting. I have and do help as the other thread shows but the most important advice or help that I can giove is in #3
  • ValHaller
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why ( financial or mitigating circumstances aside) is a lessee then not out of order ignoring their obligation?
    No one, least of all me is saying that the OP is not out of order.

But that does not justify draconian and punitive additions to the bill. AFAICS, the items claimed - given that the payment is about 1 month overdue, do not comply with CPR
  • b1000
    b1000 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    As mentioned in the original post, I'll be the first to admit it's my own fault for forgetting to get it paid on time. I just think those charges are pretty !!!!ing disgusting and it depresses me to think we have to live in a world where people can do things like that! :)
  • RupertTheCat
    Options
    I had a similar situation last year, where I was two weeks late paying 3 lots of ground rent. I had tried to pay it online, but the online system wouldn't work, then I forgot, and so sent them a cheque a few weeks late. This was after they sent me a reminder with admin fees that were 50% of the ground rent. I laughed, and sent a cheque for the original amount, minus the admin fees. The cheque was duely returned with a letter stating that it wasn't acceptable as I owed the extra admin fees. I sent the cheque back telling them to take a running jump. Anyhow...

To cut a long story short that cheque went backwards and forwards for 3 months, then went to their solicitors and came back to me again but now the charges had escalated from about £400 to £1500 with solicitors fees. How I laughed (again). Cue one extremely stroppy letter from me to the solicitors, plus one from my own conveyancing solicitor, a 3 month silence from the ground rent people and their solicitors, then a sudden letter from them saying that they would accept the cheque and drop the charges.

So if you are prepared to stand your ground and have a battle, you can win. My ground rent company are notorious for being swines, which was partly why I was determined not to pay their ridiculous charges.

Needless to say this year I was very careful to pay my ground rent charges early.

And yes I know, it was partly my own fault for being forgetful. Please don't throw things at me.
  • propertyman
    Options
    No one, least of all me is saying that the OP is not out of order.

But that does not justify draconian and punitive additions to the bill. AFAICS, the items claimed - given that the payment is about 1 month overdue, do not comply with CPR

Well the likelihood is that it does as long as the LBA is sent- I have every reason to believe that the firms involved have this down to a fine art. They aren't caught out by a schoolboy error of non compliance. :rotfl:

Besides as to one month overdue, put it into context that you can have up to 999 years notice that it is going to be due!
  • ValHaller
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well the likelihood is that it does as long as the LBA is sent- I have every reason to believe that the firms involved have this down to a fine art. They aren't caught out by a schoolboy error of non compliance. :rotfl:
    The most it can be overdue is 8 weeks. I doubt they have advised the OP of the likely future costs, given the what we have been told. This looks like a grubby try on. My bet is that nothing has been registered with the Land Registry as of the date of the letter - might be worth OP checking that point - in which case the £12 is not due nor any of the legals to spend that £12.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure