edited 11 September 2017 at 2:02PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Ebico

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did your switch go smoothly??
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Ebico are for low users, e.g.holiday homes and well insulated properties.
    Admin is by SSE, faultless.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2013 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Switches, both into and out from Ebico went smoothly, except you do need to chase them* if you are supplied via an IGT as it does take quite a bit of time. They* claim they are waiting for a reply in the post (IGT's sometimes do not have compatible online systems) yet a quick look in their back-office intray shows they actually had the letter a long time back but it just isn't loaded to their* computer

(* Note that Ebico use SSE as their billing partner. All references to 'them', 'their', etc refer to SSE. You get a freefone number to contact SSE)

You can contact Ebico directly by phone or email, and they are very helpful - although if it relates to a billing query you will usually be told to contact SSE as Ebico do not have direct access to your billing info (or switching progression, etc)
    Ebico will take up any issues you have with SSE if necessary, but a delay is inevitable whilst they have to contact SSE to investigate.

Ebico have a simple single tariff that applies to all irrespective of payment type, even PPMs are charges the same. (Electricity prices do vary by region, as they do with all other suppliers) They do not have 2 tier pricing nor any standing charges. I don't know where fred121 gets the ide they plan to introduce a standing charge as Ebico's whole USP is that they don't have one...and as far as I know, have no plans to introduce one.
  • Wywth
    edited 7 February 2013 at 11:18AM
    Options
    [quoted text removed by MSE Forum Team]

Ebico charge 5.06p/kWh for their gas (That's it, no other rates or charges apply)

Which SSE tariff can you buy gas from for 2.53p/kWh??? :huh:
    (and that ignores the other rates or charges they will apply)

I just can't see how you can possibly be paying double for the gas from Ebico compared to what you can buy it from SSE for

Ebico buy their energy from SSE themselves ... but level out the charges so everyone pays the same pro-rata to their usage. Ebico are a not-for-profit company.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Switched to them back in June from SSE standard, switched away in November when they decided not to give a free credit meter.

Great if your a low energy user or are stuck on prepayment. But not the cheapest for direct debit customers
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When switching to Ebico for dual fuel (SSE), they invented their own meter readings despite confirming the ones sent to them. This is standard practice within the industry.
    Didn't bother to say they had a problem with the meter readings - again, standard practice.
    The old supplier had completely different meter readings however the EO refused to consider the old supplier had cocked up so I can't comment on the magnitude and extent of Ebico's failings.
    Ebico failed to recognise a complaint when sent to them. They refused to cough up anything.
    The Ebico customer services PC had the clock date wound back by a day for email responses.
    I have used them in the past however I'm since wise to all of the energy companies so know what to expect.
  • Jem8472
    Jem8472 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I have been using them for a while.

They may not be the cheapest for me but I like the way the price things, I like how I can easily work out what I am playing. I have never had an issue with their billing or anything.

I would recommend them to anyone.
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • Wywth
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Switched to them back in June from SSE standard, switched away in November when they decided not to give a free credit meter.

Great if your a low energy user or are stuck on prepayment. But not the cheapest for direct debit customers

Why did you want to change meter when you were with Ebico?
    They charge all their customers the same price no matter how they pay.
  • Wywth
    Options
    cing0 wrote: »
    When switching to Ebico for dual fuel (SSE), they invented their own meter readings despite confirming the ones sent to them. This is standard practice within the industry....

Really???

When I switched to Ebico they used the meter readings I supplied...as did all the other suppliers I've ever switched to.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 February 2013 at 11:18AM
    Options
    [quoted text removed by MSE Forum Team]

I'm with ebico for my gas supply. I just checked a few minutes ago, whether I can find a cheaper supplier. I use about 2500 kwh a year. Ebico is still the cheapest.

The next cheapest (npower) will charge £8.50 per annum more and the dearest (npower again) wants an additional £95.00 p.a.
  • Wywth
    Options
    I'm with ebico for my gas supply. I just checked a few minutes ago, whether I can find a cheaper supplier. I use about 2500 kwh a year. Ebico is still the cheapest.

The next cheapest (npower) will charge £8.50 per annum more and the dearest (npower again) wants an additional £95.00 p.a.

To be fair, that is an abnormally low annual consumption figure for gas.
    An average household uses 16,500kWh of gas a year according to Ofgem.

Having said that, I do doubt the reliability of the Newbie's content for the reasons I gave earlier in this thread :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure