Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    :rotfl: that would be even more annoying to clean afterwards than the glitter bath bombs.

I'm viewing two places on Friday, one has a bath already and is within budget but although I said I'd like a character cottage will have to see just how weird a layout it is! The other is modern and only has a shower but I'm sure there's room to get a bath put straight in. And the agents have already said they have other possibilities coming up.

My credit card has been creeping back up again as I've been buying winter shoes and dresses, but will be cleared fairly soon anyway. I'm rather annoyed as I can't seem to get my credit card online record to quite match the refund receipts from Pepperberry - and I have a nasty feeling they've overcharged me by mixing up the dresses - my total is out by £17. Still, there isn't really anything I can do about it as I can't prove which I returned when. Just a lesson to learn I suppose. :(

I also bought a bag today in TK Ma77, mostly because it's one I had looked in there and then spotted in D3benham5 for £20 more... but still dithering about it so it may go back.

YNAB is up to date and payday is close so will review it again then :)

Rosa xx
    Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Good luck with the viewings - fingers and toes crossed for you :)
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Thanks Sam

I have caught up YNAB and paid off my CC in full including the extra winter clothes. I definitely haven't managed to stick within the right month allocation, I've had to pull forward money from October's paycheque, but there is some money spare and I will reshuffle again at the end of the month.

I have also reviewed the house buying plans and er, changed my mind :o . I did find somewhere I liked but by the time I thought through putting an offer in and all the costs of fees and furniture and the time that it would take up, I got rather stressed and it stopped feeling like fun. I've decided to stay in the current flat while I finish my college course. That means I can get settled in the new job, focus on studying, clear the college card and hopefully save a bit of cash so that when I do move I will be able to enjoy it. It's only six months and I'm going to ask the current landlord to fix the most annoying things so that I feel happier about this place while I'm here. I've talked the decision through with a couple of friends and feel much happier with this - it means I can actually enjoy having some spare cash and think through what I will want to do in the longer term once I've got my college course done, which will open up some more options.

I have confirmation of my salary now and it was a great feeling being able to get the train to see friends on the weekend instead of spending extra time on the bus and without worrying about the cost. It's not like I'm likely to do anything madly extravagant but it is a lovely feeling to be able to stop worrying about the small stuff quite so much - and I may decide to treat myself to a hotel (with bath :D) in the city the night before college days.

Nothing else happening here... just a chilled weekend :)

Rosa xx
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey Rosa, all is sounding so positive. I think your reasons for holding off on moving are great and hopefully the thought of moving at that time won't feel very stressful at all, but very exciting and a new chapter for you.

Fantastic news that you know your new salary too! Good luck with your bathing hotel when you book it! :D

MTx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    MuffinTops wrote: »
    Hey Rosa, all is sounding so positive. I think your reasons for holding off on moving are great and hopefully the thought of moving at that time won't feel very stressful at all, but very exciting and a new chapter for you.

Fantastic news that you know your new salary too! Good luck with your bathing hotel when you book it! :D

MTx

Thanks MT

I'm really pleased I made that decision rather than putting an offer in when it didn't feel right. I am still settling into the new job and although it's going OK I think I had forgotten how nerve-wracking it feels, so I'm glad to have not put any other pressure on myself.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well I am feeling grotty with a cold and a bit anxious, just new job nerves probably, but have taken the day off to give myself a bit of a break. I have been trying to cook every night, declutter, and get to bed at a sensible time every night - and losing :rotfl:. So today I will just potter about getting chores finished and fussing moggies (who are of course delighted that I decided to not only stay in bed but put the bedroom heating on).

I'm also going to use the day for some thinking time. My vision board still applies, but I'm getting impatient :o:rotfl: so want to remind myself to relax about it all. I've got some Martha Beck mp3s to listen to, plus the Joy Diet book which I haven't read before and also a book that was recommended in one of the mp3s called Style Statement - one of the authors is Danielle LaPorte and I like her other stuff so I ordered a copy. It may turn out to be very helpful as I have been thinking about image etc at work recently.

Moneywise things are not really where they should be at - I've got a little ahead of myself and I know that really it's due to the holidays where I've put things on the credit card and then had to catch up with it. I did want to go away for a few days next month as well, but realistically it will cost hundreds again and I'm just not sure I want to play catch up for another month - particularly as I'd like to clear the college card and get technically fully DF soon. However, I'm still waiting on a decision from a friend about whether to go so needn't make that decision yet.

Oh and I've been good and returned the bag I wasn't sure about :D

Rosa xx
  • bellevie
    Options
    Hope you are feeling a bit better, there are some nasty colds flying around my workplace I've been taking metatone & echinaccea in a bid to avoid it - fingers crossed!

Sounds like you made the right choice about the house, well the relief you describe certainly indicates that!

I need to take a leaf out of your book, I'm terrible for not being sure about things I've brought, more often than not I loose the receipt so put of returning and never do!

Get better soon x
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Sorry you're feeling grotty Rosa, get well hugs.

It's frustrating when you feel your budget has run away a bit, but on the positive, you've realised it and are activity making plans / thinking about how to address that, which is good.

Instead of feeling frustrated about your mood board, how about writing down 5 things each night before bed that you have achieved that day - they can be big or little things such as 'returned bag for refund' 'cooked dinner from scratch' 'had a positive day at work and don't feel quite so much like new girl' They can be little reminders that although some things might still be 'in progress' your are achieving every day. Or of course I could be talking utter rubbish? Xx
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahhh, get well soon Rosa. I hope you're feeling much better today, or can at least have a nice rest day if you're not.

I had a look at the style statement. Did you buy the book or kindle version? I'm not sure if it needs a book to write bits in or if the kindle version is easier as it's less "stuff"?

I'm playing catch up this month, which isn't ideal. Plus there are 2 important birthdays I have to find funds for! I have some things already in the budget, but not everything. Plus christmas is around the corner. I need some savvy thinking!

Well done on the bag!

Take lots of care of yourself.

101594.gif
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Sorry you're feeling grotty Rosa, get well hugs.

It's frustrating when you feel your budget has run away a bit, but on the positive, you've realised it and are activity making plans / thinking about how to address that, which is good.

Instead of feeling frustrated about your mood board, how about writing down 5 things each night before bed that you have achieved that day - they can be big or little things such as 'returned bag for refund' 'cooked dinner from scratch' 'had a positive day at work and don't feel quite so much like new girl' They can be little reminders that although some things might still be 'in progress' your are achieving every day. Or of course I could be talking utter rubbish? Xx

Thanks Kerri - that's a good plan, I might try that or going back to the three things to be grateful for. Lots of things have changed really, I'm just realising how impatient I am :rotfl:

When I was away recently I did 15 minutes meditation as soon as I got up and really liked it. I haven't found a spot in the flat to do that yet but am working on it (therefore the decluttering continues!)

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family