Police Auctions

Options

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    The number of posts is not defined and only those in the forum team at MSE know the logarithm.

Very old thread here that users might want to take a look at as well as doing a Google search which brings up some interesting results:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=21785
    I'm going back a good few years but when I was in the auction business this company would often have incorrect details of our auctions. Disgruntled customers would turn up with their paper in hand annoyed that there was no auction that day. So if you do happen to have a copy always check before hand.

Auctions are public, they aren't secretive, they want customers.
    There's no need to pay for details that are easy enough to find with a little bit of research. Most auctions (there are still a few that don't) are online and have free email subscriptions.
  • cobster
    cobster Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used the bumblebee site a number of years ago to buy a bike. At that time you couldn't check before you buy (am hoping that has changed now) and I took it to the bike shop for a service on it to be told that it was not repairable. It looked fine to me when I collected it .... so just be aware as there was no comeback. Let's hope the site has changed.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I was looking at a set of ski's from Oxford. I asked a relative, a skiing instructor, if they were worth the £1.

His comment was the bag my be worth it but the best use for the ski's would be to put on the wall of a chalet as a curiosity!
  • tinkywiky
    tinkywiky Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    After receiving an email from MSE, I thought I will try my luck with bike. To my surprise there was one available from my local police station. Won the bike, paid through Nochex and went to pickup the bike next day. I was shocked see some rusty metal..! The description says "signs of wear and rust". Now I am stuck with this and I may end up paying to get rid of it. I called the officer who I collected this from, he says he is just a person who helps to deliver it and nothing to do with the auction itself. Sent an email to the advertiser, so far no reply. If it were Ebay, I could have refuse to collect it, I don't think this even allows that.

Looks like I was really coned by the people who are employed by us to catch the con-men..! How odd..!!:mad:
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Do know of a Couple who "invested" a couple of grand in cameras in an auction on I bidder.
    Excess stock was the claim with some blurb about accuracy.
    Every single camera they got was boxed but knackered and junk.
    They thought they had found an easy way to make some cash.
    Never so...
    They put them back in the same auction to try and get some money back.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cobster wrote: »
    I used the bumblebee site a number of years ago to buy a bike. At that time you couldn't check before you buy (am hoping that has changed now) and I took it to the bike shop for a service on it to be told that it was not repairable. It looked fine to me when I collected it .... so just be aware as there was no comeback. Let's hope the site has changed.

thats bad , i would say you should make a complaint to the police for dishonesty but its the police you are buying it from :rotfl:

who'd of thought it the police of all people
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tinkywiky wrote: »
    After receiving an email from MSE, I thought I will try my luck with bike. To my surprise there was one available from my local police station. Won the bike, paid through Nochex and went to pickup the bike next day. I was shocked see some rusty metal..! The description says "signs of wear and rust". Now I am stuck with this and I may end up paying to get rid of it. I called the officer who I collected this from, he says he is just a person who helps to deliver it and nothing to do with the auction itself. Sent an email to the advertiser, so far no reply. If it were Ebay, I could have refuse to collect it, I don't think this even allows that.

Looks like I was really coned by the people who are employed by us to catch the con-men..! How odd..!!:mad:

So they tell you it's rusty yet you buy it anyway and then complain it's rusty?

If you're feeling "conNed" maybe this type of buying isn't for you and you should buy brand new in future?
  • tinkywiky
    tinkywiky Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    tykesi wrote: »
    So they tell you it's rusty yet you buy it anyway and then complain it's rusty?

If you're feeling "conNed" maybe this type of buying isn't for you and you should buy brand new in future?

Just to be clear, it was not just rusty. Both breaks were broken, the gears were not working, front tyre is flat, back tyre is fully worn out and you are very likely to get a fine, if the same police who sold this finds you riding on it..!

BTW, are you a police too :rotfl:
  • robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to be clear, it was not just rusty. Both breaks were broken, the gears were not working, front tyre is flat, back tyre is fully worn out and you are very likely to get a fine, if the same police who sold this finds you riding on it..!

Surely the tyre was only flat at the bottom!:rotfl:

It may have breaks out of prison?.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

But that's not what you said in your original post so how were we to know all that? It's 'brakes' BTW and you can't be fined for riding a rusty bike!

Spelling police maybe but that's all I am:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure