Coventry BS - Online Login process

Options
Hi, I recently opened up a ISA account with Coventry BS. I find their online banking registration to be very strange.
1. They send a form to setup a password
2. They send a grid card
3. Online registration then they sent a web id.

I have all off the above. Tried 3 times did not work and access now blocked. New form will now be sent to setup password. I am 100% sure that I have entered all the information correctly.

I have banked with most UK banks and never seen that long process to setup internet banking service. Their grid card is just useless.

Anyone has used them? Any feedback? Ms

Comments

• rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    I've never had a problem with it.

Log in with a customer identifier (web ID), password and other verification method - it's fairly standard across most online banking systems.

How is the grid card useless? It's dead easy to use, can't break (unless possibly if it goes through the washing machine) or run out of batteries.

It's a good system.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    I've used the Coventry grid card system before and think its much better than asking someone for a few characters from a memorable word. For the later, chances are the word will be short, so there will be few combinations which are unique, and people will be writing it down anyway so they don't forget. A 50-character grid card will therefore contain many more combinations and be more secure, unless you take it outside the house and/or it gets stolen, but hopefully then your password will be unknown, which you wouldn't write down.

A PIN Sentry is slightly more secure, but costs a lot more, something a savings provider wouldn't want to pay for.
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    Banks/BS's differ in their process for protecting your money.
    This is Coventry's version and I am prepared to go through the steps and find the grid card whenever I log on.

The grid card is not "useless" it serves a purpose.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a slightly more tedious system than most, but I've never had a problem with it.
    Stompa
  • buffman
    buffman Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have never had a problem with Coventry. The log in process is fairly quick requiring user ID, date of birth, password and three characters from my grid card.
  • bottletop
    Options
    I've never had a problem with mine either, but just tried to register my wife's new account! Telephone password to be set up first, and then internet password sent out to you, and then the famous grid card - but still lacking the all important Web ID!

I've lost track of where we are exactly in the process.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    bottletop wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with mine either, but just tried to register my wife's new account! Telephone password to be set up first, and then internet password sent out to you, and then the famous grid card - but still lacking the all important Web ID!

I've lost track of where we are exactly in the process.

Would that be contrary to their ts & cs? Surely you setting up security and registering, for your (do you own her?) wife's account is a no no? :)
  • Andystriker
    Options
    Would that be contrary to their ts & cs? Surely you setting up security and registering, for your (do you own her?) wife's account is a no no? :)

Only if Coventry find out.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2012 at 1:25PM
    Options
    I had login problems back when I first opened the account... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=15862635&highlight=coventry#post15862635

I notice the instant access account had a fixed interest rate of 6.25% back then - Happy Days!
  • bottletop
    Options

Well, I dare say that is a discussion for another topic, but yes, I do all of my wife's financial affairs, pension included. This is at her total request you understand. She works full-time and I don't, which is a factor, but not the only one. She just doesn't like that sort of thing, but I do. :D

I often have to try and discuss her affairs over the phone, and the usual format is "Is Mrs B there? Can you put her on?" They then ask if she is happy for them to talk to me - and away we go!

It can't be that an unusual arrangement as they seem ok with it all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure