First Target Recoveries

Options
Hi,

My Mother was contacted by First Target Recoveries in April of this year. She filled in the forms for them to try and reclaim some PPI on a couple of Halifax loans (without my knowledge).

She then mentioned to me in late May that she needed to sign some terms and conditions from this company and I asked to see the paperwork they had sent.
It stated that any refund she would get, they would want a percentage and needed her to sign the contract as they had no record of her agreeing to their terms.
I advised her not to sign and took on the PPI reclaim myself and contacted Halifax direct.

I managed to get her a refund in July. Then on 20 August she had a call from First Target saying that they were aware that she had had a refund from the Halifax and that she now owed them the sum of £2207.57 for their services.
She told them that I had contacted Halifax on her behalf and had dealt with the refund but they said that she owed them this money and 'either way they will get their money'.
Needless to say she panicked and paid them over the phone by debit card.

Once I found out we went to Nationwide to see if we could cancel the payment but it was too late.
We filled in a debit card dispute form but all Nationwide done was confirm that it was a valid transaction.

My question is where do I go from here?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We filled in a debit card dispute form but all Nationwide done was confirm that it was a valid transaction.

It is a valid transaction. Your mother agreed to it.
    My question is where do I go from here?

Complain to the ministry of justice. With no signed contract and no complaint submitted by them to Halifax, they havent got a leg to stand on.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • KimLyn
    KimLyn Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    They did submit a complaint to Halifax but never told my Mother of their charges or asked her to sign their terms and conditions until after this contact.

This is the letter they sent in May -

'Thank you for returning your paperwork to enable us to deal with your claim for mis-sold PPI.

We have noticed from our records that we have not yet received a signed copy of our Terms and Conditions.

In order for us to process your claims and act on your behalf, please read the enclosed T&C's, sign and return them to us in the freepost envelope.

We need to receive these as soon as possible to avoid any delays in processing your claims.'

When I saw this and the T&C's, I told my Mother not to sign and I would take on the claim process for her contacting Halifax direct, which I did.

I understand that the transaction was valid but Nationwide said that without any signed contract between my Mother and First Target they would be able to get her her money back.

I told her that she shouldn't have paid them any money over the phone but she said that they told her that 'they would get their money one way or another'.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    KimLyn wrote: »
    I told her that she shouldn't have paid them any money over the phone but she said that they told her that 'they would get their money one way or another'.
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/claims-regulation
  • dunstonh
    Options
    They did submit a complaint to Halifax but never told my Mother of their charges or asked her to sign their terms and conditions until after this contact.

They cannot submit a complaint without a signature. Halifax would not accept it without a signature. This would suggest something was signed.

Whilst she failed to sign the T&C, if she signed the rest then it could be considered a contract. A signature is desirable but not required to enter into a contract.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • capriiow
    Options
    Had A phone call from First Target Recovery telling me that they can recover £1000's so I told them that I had recovered all my PPI except the one on my Mortgage loan with GMAC that I could not get anywhere with as GMAC tell me it is nothing to do with them anymore as they no longer do Mortgages.

I was told they could take this up and would also check that the ones I had claimed were fully claimed.

I was told if I sent the paperwork in intently it would be fast tracked taking 6 to 8 weeks instead of 8 to 12 weeks.

I heard nothing for weeks and after 13 weeks contacted them and was told that they had had no luck with GMAC as yet but had had A reply from Santander I told them that I had already contacted Santander and been offered £2944.46 that I had excepted but was told that they had found an extra £1986.12 from them and it had been added to the claim.

a few days later I got A letter from Santander Increasing the offer to a total of £4930.67

this was listed as the claim I made of £2944.46 as refund loan 2 and £1986.21 as refund loan 1 the total has been taken off the loan

Now First Target want payment for £1673.96 the amont for the total not the extra they added

Where do I stand on this
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    you will probably have to pay them for the second one but not the first.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • capriiow
    Options
    Still being chased by First Target for full payment

have written and sent e-mails
    tagged e-mails to see who e-mails are forwarded to but hear nothing back from them

just keep getting letters to say I owe the full amount when I ring I am told they have not received any of my letters (seem to be a bunch of Cowboys)
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I suggest you send your e-mails with CCs to consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk
  • paul202
    Options
    Hi all

I have made a ppi claim through firtst target for a loan that was still on going, they managed to recalim nearly £4000 which I was very happy with and was expecting to pay thier fee of around £1200, have been contacted today and been informed that thier fee is £3700. Slightly less happy now, contacted them to find out what was going on, was told that the charges included interest on future payments that I have not payed yet.

Long story short, can they charge me for interest payments that I havent payed.

I was not informed by them that any future payments would be included in thier charge. this seems to be a sneaky way for them to make alot of money out of people,.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    contacted them to find out what was going on, was told that the charges included interest on future payments that I have not payed yet.

That is a really dodgy way of doing it. If it is disclosed in the contract you signed then its what you agreed.
    I was not informed by them that any future payments would be included in thier charge.

What does your contract with them say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure