Equidebt Limited letter

Options
Hi. Today i have received a letter from Equidebt, it says that their are "attempting to contact the above named (me) regarding a personal matter and my address has been supplied as a possible address for our subject". And have quoted "our reference" number is *********.

They are asking me to phone them to either confirm that i am or am not the the person they are attempting to contact. And that no responce within 10 days they will assume that i am and they will be contacting me again.

They have not said about anything about any debts or me owing anyone any money.

At least 5/6 years ago i received a (possibly2) letter from something like Activ Kapital (?) saying that i owed money to some furniture company that after Googleing didnt seem to exsist. My partner at the time i belive found info on this site and sent them a letter saying i did not acknowledge the debt and for them to prove it, to which i heard nothing more.

I have never had a loan, credit card or finance. I have had 2 mortgages with were payed off and ended. My current mortgage and all bills etc are all up to date. As far as im aware i owe nothing to anyone and never have.

I did enquire about a possible miss sold PPI on my mortgage 2 days ago, the same date as this letter is dated, coincidence?

Im sorry if i've gone on abit but im not very clued up on things like this and am unsure what to do about it, any help would be very appreciated. I have searched the site but dont know whats the best thing to do.

rup240

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Hi rup and welcome :hello:

I would ignore them unless they come up with something more specific. They are just fishing so don't give them any bait!

If they get back to you saying you do owe money, you need the prove it letter. You will find the template here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11570893&postcount=2

Just copy and paste it, fill in all the appropriate details and send it recorded delivery.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • rup240
    rup240 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, it's a big help! I'll wait and see and keep you posted.
  • shedhead55
    shedhead55 Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    Good advice from Time To Face The Music.

If their next letter threatens all sorts of bad things then don't be worried, it is standard tactics by DCA's to try and scare their intended victims into panicking. Don't under any circumstances phone them, just send the "prove it" letter mentioned in the earlier post.
  • rup240
    Options
    Hi, i have today received another letter stating an amount that im suppose to owe and Debt collection notification etc.

I am now going to send the prove it letter as recommended above tomorrow. Sorry if im being a dumb but on the letter at the top where the addresses are on the template on the link, which addresses do i put on the letter im sending, in which place i mean? Hope that sounds clear.

rup240
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    National Debtline "prove it" letter
    Your address
    Date

Their address

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to The Loan Company.

We are familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

We would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

We would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts unless you can provide evidence as to our liability for the debt in question.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise we will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mrs A N Other
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • cashstraped_2
    Options
    I too have received a letter like rup240 today! Its the first letter asking me to confirm that I am the named person at the address they have wrote too. Very scary letter, had me in tears!! And still worried now. I used to owe a small debt about 15 yrs ago, but I was living at home with parents (thats how young I was) and never made contact with anyone at all, the catalog company or any debt collectors. I moved serveral times with my parents and have never heard anything since. Now my credit with Experien is 999 out of 999 and I thought I was a good debt free citizen who can get credit anywhere. I do have finance which is always paid on time and I am nearly credit free, then this landed on my door!! I will keep watching to see how rup240 goes on and I will hang fire for my second letter and then send the 'prove it letter' which I have already saved!!
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Send the prove it letter and see what they say, if it has had no acknowledgement or payment for 6 years then it would be statute barred anyway and they could not pursue you for the money, it might be a phishing letter hoping to scare you into parting with your money, I would send the letter recorded so you have proof that they have received it and then sit back and wait, try not to get yourself too upset about it at this stage.
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
  • rup240
    Options
    Thank you fermi! Letter filled out and will be in the post tomorrow.
  • cashstraped_2
    Options
    If your post was for cashstraped, thank you very much. I will send the letter straight away and let you know how I go :j
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your post was for cashstraped, thank you very much. I will send the letter straight away and let you know how I go :j

Yes it was, sorry I should have quoted you, but the same applies to anyone in the same situation.
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport