Equidebt Limited letter

Options

Comments

• clarky27
    Options
    I have had a letter from this so called company today too... I did have some debt from over 8 years ago and haven't a clue how they've got my address but now that I've read all of the above helpful posts I myself am starting to think they are purely fishing... love love love this site xx
  • clarky27 wrote: »
    I have had a letter from this so called company today too... I did have some debt from over 8 years ago and haven't a clue how they've got my address but now that I've read all of the above helpful posts I myself am starting to think they are purely fishing... love love love this site xx

I sent my first letter to them on Mon 17th recorded delivery and havnt had a reply yet, I keep watching the thread so let me know how you get on too!! Thanks to the fab people on this site who can be bothered to help other people I feel confident not scared any more, so keep me posted clarky27!! :money:
  • rup240
    Options
    Hello all, an update for you. I sent my prove it letter on the 15th Sept, yesturday i received another letter from Equidebt it reads

"With reference to your recent communication regading the above mentioned account.

Please be advised we will repond within the next five working days."

With another freephone number "should i have any further queries"

This letter is dated 27th Sept. Do you think they are still fishing? Maybe just trying to get me to phone them or make me except the this so call debt? Any help with what i should do, or if i should do anything?

rup240
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Wait. See what they come back with.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • angrybaldman
    Options
    Posting here as this is where I came for information on this company, as rup240 I too received the standard (sub standard) 'we're trying to find this person' letter on 22nd August 2012. So for anyone else on the receiving end of this, this is what I did.

1. I looked on this forum and googled equidebt as the letter was so randomly written it looked like a fraud

2. I ignored the 'is this you' letter (thinking it was a fraud)

3. A week later I received a 'Debt Collection Notification' for a £1,200 debt owed to Aktiv Kapital. Not only is this letter NOT a debt collection notification, but along with the previous letter it contravenes OFT guidelines

4. As I know nothing about this debt, I immediatley called the FOS and made a formal complaint as it's simply ridiculous these people can randomly pluck me out of thin air and say I 'might' owe £1,200

5. I wrote a cease and desist letter to EquiDebt, relating the above and the FOS complaint number also telling them to provide proof to the contrary

6. Today I received a response saying that the person they are trying to trace doesn't and has never lived at our address, but that a 'trace suggested it might be you'. Then the usual about apologies for inconvenience and detials will be removed blah blah and that hopefully I'm satisfied with the outcome and can I let the FOS know as such.

I am still fuming over this, was caused totally un-nesscary stress and wasted a reasonable amount of time telling them in an offical way to f**k off.

In any case, I'm going to tell the FOS that I am not happy - but thought to let you all know the above, as mentioned, this forum was a port of call when contacted by these idiots in my research on them.
  • Deputy19
    Options
    Hi Angrybaldman,

I am several letters down the line with equidebt / aktiv kapital for an utterly absurd date that they have plucked out of the air. My latest letter states that they have reduced the debt even though they still have'nt proved that the debt is mine!

What did you write in your final letter to get rid of them? I have posted here today on the matter prior to seeing your link.

Thanks.
  • angrybaldman
    Options
    Hi Deputy

I think I may have just responded in your other thread - but to answer your question, I only wrote one very succint letter to them, as I'd already immediately complained to the FOS before even writing to them.

Someone (Fermi) has also posted a link to a template of a very useful letter in your original question on your thread.

By the sounds of it, as with me, they are pursuing you for a debt which someone with the same or similar name owes. Using whatever 'trace' methods they use, anyone with the same or similar name they contact using their bizzarely worded letters (second class post) and in a shotgun effect hope to in fact hit the person who might owe the debt.

I really would call both the OFT and FOS as they are clearly breaching the guidelines.

When I spoke to the FOS they seemed to think I was the first person (shockingly) to lodge a complaint against EquiDebt. Which can't be the case I'm sure.
  • shedhead55
    shedhead55 Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    In any case, I'm going to tell the FOS that I am not happy - but thought to let you all know the above, as mentioned, this forum was a port of call when contacted by these idiots in my research on them.
    The FOS can order the DCA to pay compensation in situations like this and I would suggest you press for this. I would also be inclined to complain to the OFT (Who have particular concerns about DCA's contacting the wrong people), the ICO (Clearly there has been use of inaccurate personal data) and the Credit Services Association.

If more people make serious complaints then these cowboy DCA's may be less inclined to cause unnecessary worry to innocent people.
  • belle_ayling
    Options
    Hi all,

Apologies, but I'm slightly panicking here...

My husband received a letter today from Equidebt...

I called them on his behalf to inform them that, due to work hours, he would not be able to contact them and obviously they wouldn't speak with me (although they did ask me for his name, date of birth and address!)

We purchased our first property 3 years ago and when his credit history was checked, he didn't have a credit rating (because he had no credit cards, loans etc) which I explained to the lady I spoke with to which she reacted shocked that it was checked so recently.

My husband did have a loan many moons ago (at least 7 years ago), but we cannot think what the debt relates to.

He is going to try and contact them tonight, but we are completely stumped!

I have even set up again on Experion to double check that his credit rating is still clear!

He moved around a lot when he was younger and until 3 years ago, had no fixed address so I am really confused how they got our address!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are expecting a baby early next year and this is the last thing we need on our plates right now.

Thank you :o
  • ladybez
    ladybez Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Belle_ayling. DO NOT SPEAK TO THEM ON THE PHONE! Send the letter outlined by Fermi in post 6, Send it recorded delivery. It is up to Equidebt to prove you/your husband owes this money, not for you to prove you don't. On the phone they will try and pressure you to pay even if it is not your debt or if it is, to pay more than you can afford. Writing means that you are in control. Good luck.x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure