Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lucielamb
    Moving gas meter for extension
    • 23rd Mar 07, 4:04 PM
    Moving gas meter for extension 23rd Mar 07 at 4:04 PM
    Hi

we're planning an extension to our house, but we need to move the gas meter first. We have been in touch with our energy suppiers and they put us in touch with united utilities (acting on behalf of northern gas networks, who used to be transco) who have quoted about 520 to do tis. Does anyone know of anyway of avoiding this charge or decreasing it. It seems to be a standard charge and is very expensive for the amount of work required.

Has anyone changed suppliers on the basis of having this work done for free? If so who did you change to and how did you strike a deal!!!

Many thanks

Lucie
Page 1
  • wills34
    • 23rd Mar 07, 4:50 PM
    • 23rd Mar 07, 4:50 PM
    changing suppliers wont help unfortunately as it will still be united utilities you would be referred to
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 24th Mar 07, 7:40 AM
    • 6,526 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 24th Mar 07, 7:40 AM
    • 24th Mar 07, 7:40 AM
    My sister had her electric meter moved last year. The family did a lot of the work ,bar the dangerous stuff. Still cost £500.
  • slinx
    • 27th Mar 07, 12:43 PM
    • 27th Mar 07, 12:43 PM
    Hi,

believe it or not in most cases the true cost of carrying out this type of work is more than what they're asking from you. Basically the 'standard charge' works are subsidised.

If you can get the new meter position closer to the existing position, it will save you money. There is a set rate for up to 3m i think (prob around 350) and then a charge per meter after that. Again i think that's right! you'll have to check.

Changing suppliers shouldn't make a difference because it's not them that own the pipework.
    • number9
    • By number9 13th Apr 07, 11:16 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    number9
    • 13th Apr 07, 11:16 AM
    • 13th Apr 07, 11:16 AM
    We have a similar problem. We have had an extension built and by building above the garage have added a cavity and second layer. The gas meter needs moved forward to the new layer. Cowboy builders just built the brickwork without any consideration for the services and therefore the gas pipe is in the cavity, ie they just built on top of it. Legally, it is my understanding that the supply pipe has to be accessible outside the wall.

We are British Gas customers but who do we contact to arrange the moving of the supply/meter? It is impossible to find a link on the www.house.co.uk site and we have just spent half an hour waiting for BG to answer the phone.
  • BritishGasWorker
    • 13th Apr 07, 11:19 PM
    • 13th Apr 07, 11:19 PM
    We have a similar problem. We have had an extension built and by building above the garage have added a cavity and second layer. The gas meter needs moved forward to the new layer. Cowboy builders just built the brickwork without any consideration for the services and therefore the gas pipe is in the cavity, ie they just built on top of it. Legally, it is my understanding that the supply pipe has to be accessible outside the wall.

We are British Gas customers but who do we contact to arrange the moving of the supply/meter? It is impossible to find a link on the www.house.co.uk site and we have just spent half an hour waiting for BG to answer the phone.
    Originally posted by number9
    You would need to contact united utilaties to have it moved..its not cheap tho!
    Hey folks...remember I might work for the company but I am a human and working in my own time, I will not responde to people who are rude, sarcy and crits me. My views and comments do not reflect British Gas and they are totally unreasponsable for my responses.
    • tripled
    • By tripled 16th Apr 07, 10:07 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    tripled
    • 16th Apr 07, 10:07 PM
    • 16th Apr 07, 10:07 PM
    Who they use can vary depending on where you live, it could be united ultilities, fulcrum connections or someone else. TBH you will need to speak to BG's customer services who can pop in your postcode and give you the name and telephone number.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 16th Apr 07, 10:49 PM
    • 714 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 16th Apr 07, 10:49 PM
    • 16th Apr 07, 10:49 PM
    We've just had an extension built and the cost of moving the gas meter was very similar to what you've been quoted. Not a difficult job but one for the professionals (!) with professional costs.
    Also had to move the electric meter as well!!!!!
  • Better_offin_PETES_pocket
    • 16th Apr 07, 11:35 PM
    reply number 9
    • 16th Apr 07, 11:35 PM
    why do you want it moved. ok the pipe is in the cavity, the meter is in the new course of brick or block work. hence now you can just put a small cupboard or even a door so the meter reader can do his job.
    If it was mine i would keep the 500 or so and say nowt. if the sh*t does hit the fan then pay the 500 + block work + flooring + decorating. Im sure as gas pipes run underground all over our country a 2 meter run in your cavity wall wont make much differance.
    Its only an idea you got to do what you got to do...
    • ic
    • By ic 17th Apr 07, 8:56 AM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    ic
    http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/domestic/NW/alterations.htm

I looked into moving my meter as its in the corner of my living room to outside on the otherside of where it is, but was put off by the cost. A gas man explained that they may need to dig up the road to access the stop-c0ck that allows them to switch off the gas. For some reason they bury them, unlike the water which are under little covers!
    Last edited by ic; 17-04-2007 at 9:00 AM.
  • harryhound
    How many men does it take to change a meter ?
    This is slightly off thread, BUT perhaps someone can advise.

I may be heading for a similar situation with my two pieces of electrical kit (supply meter and economy 7 clock). The meter reads EDF, and I am fairly sure they are responsible for South Essex. So yesterday I wrote them a snail mail letter with a detailed map & plan of what would be needed. (Did I get the right address ?).

Now I've looked at the web site and this is what it says:

"In short, we install the physical connection from the road to your premises, the meter operator connects the meter and the electricity supplier switches on the power."

Do I stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting three organisations to co-operate on a task like this ?

(I'm tempted to put on a thick pair of rubber gloves and do the job myself !)
    • stewie_griffin
    • By stewie_griffin 17th Apr 07, 4:19 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    stewie_griffin
    It depends how far you want it moving. If it's only a small distance you should be able to arrange this through your supplier. If not then you would have to arrange this through your distributor, which in your area is EDF.

See here for contact details http://www.edfenergy.com/html/showPage.do?name=edfenergy.networks.contacts.til
  • Bluebirds1975
    http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/domestic/NW/alterations.htm

I looked into moving my meter as its in the corner of my living room to outside on the otherside of where it is, but was put off by the cost. A gas man explained that they may need to dig up the road to access the stop-c0ck that allows them to switch off the gas. For some reason they bury them, unlike the water which are under little covers!
    Originally posted by ic
    This info isnt true. Your meter is disconnected and the ECV is capped. No digging involved
  • slinx
    The existing ECV will be inside where the existing meter is, so the ECV will be moved outside along with the meter.

Therefore the inlet pipework will need to be cut-back externally and a new inlet fitted into the external box. The gas needs to be isolated outside somehow, whether it's via a service valve or maybe a squeeze-off.

Also the talk about cutting cost and not getting work done, i can understand the need to save money (thats why we're all on here) but i'd always look at safety first. If there's live gas running under floors in properties and within wall cavities this can be very dangerous, especially if it can't be isolated just outside or immediately inside.

Say you get a leak, the gas builds up within the cavity for days, there is no adequate ventilation, then a switch sets it off and boom......half your house missing. Extreme i know, but it does happen!

As i've mentioned before, the costs for service alterations are standardised, so there really isn't any scope for knocking the costs down. You've just got to keep the new position as close to the existing position as you can!
  • harryhound
    How Much !
    It depends how far you want it moving. If it's only a small distance you should be able to arrange this through your supplier. If not then you would have to arrange this through your distributor, which in your area is EDF.

See here for contact details http://www.edfenergy.com/html/showPage.do?name=edfenergy.networks.contacts.til
    Originally posted by stewie_griffin
    Still could not be sure I had written to the right address, so I sent EDF an Email.
    Someone called Kylie got back to me in 24 hours by 'phone and confirmed I had written to the right address Full marks EDF.

But then she said it would likely cost 600 GBP

Harry.

Where have I put my heavy duty rubber gloves..............?
    Last edited by harryhound; 20-04-2007 at 4:25 PM.
  • harryhound
    Not enough Electricity in the Wires ?
    I've had a written reply from those nice people at EDF.

In addition to the cost of moving the meter, they have now raised the possibility that there is not enough electricity in the wires to supply my plans.
    (you would think that they would be delighted at the prospect of a customer offering to increase his consumption ?)

Can I fill in a form and send it with a cheque for 206 GBP, so they can evaluate the suitability of their supply!

I really am tempted to hire something drawing more than my proposals, wait until there is a thunderstorm, turn it on and see if I turn out the street lights

By the way they have also included a leaflet explaining the new law that means they have to book a date well in advance and get special permission from the local authority to dig up the road and there will be an extra charge for this permit.

I am beginning to wonder how many people in this country are actually doing something and how many are being paid for monitoring them when they do it.

Harry
  • adusad
    Going a bit off thread, I have a cupboard in our kitchen which contains both the gas and electricity meters. Ideally I'd like to move these outside the front wall of the house to be able to remove the cupboard and gain some space for when we have the kitchen redone.
    Am I right in thinking that I need to contact transco to find out how much they will charge to move the gas meter? And that they might have to dig up the front of the house and maybe even the street?
    And what about the electricity meter? I can't figure out who needs to move that - and can't get through to NPower (forever on hold)...
    Any ideas how much it all might cost me?
  • slinx
    Hi, technically Transco no longer exist. The gas network is owned by 4 main gas transporters, so it depends on where you live.

If you're in North London, East Anglia, East Midlands, North West, West Midlands then you need to approach National Grid Gas.

If you're in Scotland or the South, you need to approach Scotia.

If it's Wales or the South West, it's Wales and the West Utilities.

If it's the North and Yorkshire, it's Northern Gas Networks.

However, if you do it through your shipper (the people you pay your bill to) they should pass it onto the Gas Transporter on your behalf.

They will need to dig a small hole just outside to cut the existing service back and install a new riser into the meter box. They will only need to dig in the street if the existing service is metallic, they have an obligation to replace these with plastic (PE) pipe. This is at no extra charge. They generally mole from the excavation in the street to the excavation at your property, therefore removing the need to dig a trench.

Also, for this type of work, a service alteration, you should get it at a standard rate (refered to as a Standard Charge).

Unfortunately i can't help with the electricity side of things! Hope this helps.
  • mrsS
    adusad- we have exactly the same problem as you-both metres in the kitchen cupboard!

we want to redo the kitchen so I got quotes to get both moved the 18 inches from one side of the wall to the other- in total it would be £1200 plus you have to go to Wickes and buy the metre housing box and all the cabling as this doesnt get supplied by the metre moving people-they own the metre but you own the box apparently- well according to the blurb they sent us anyway...........

needless to say it is going to be cheaper to get a special shelf put in the cupboard so we can use more of the space than it is to move the things!
  • fatboy1340
    gas meter alteration
    i'm building an extension and also want the gas meter moved.Been through the usual channels and ended up with a quote from national grid for 867.00.The meter position is being moved approx 6 foot.Is there any other companies that will do this cheaper?I live in lancshire,but if i lived in yorkshire the charge would be 415,00??I,ve seen this work done before and it only takes about an hour so how can they justify this price?Also looks like they have a cartel on the job as other companies i.ve taliked to cant touch the pipe as national grid own it?My next step is the energy ombudsmen and then ofgem as this sort of practice must be stopped.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,398Posts Today

9,066Users online

Martin's Twitter